What's new

New Player in the Stealth Game? Turkey Unveils Indigenous TF-X Fifth Generation Fighter

Will Turkish Steatlh Fighter Jets program be a success?

• Yes

Votes: 60 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 16.7%

• Total voters
Congrats. I wish I had gone to be honest. I did, the last time JF17 went to Paris. This time, PAF left the notice too late for me to plan a trip from the UK. Shame, would have seen the JF17 again, FCAS and TFX if i had !!!

I'm sure Thunder will strike Paris again with Block 3. :partay:

Can we develop an engine with low quality materials. Lets say western origin engines use high quality materials and have 6.000 hours of lifetime. And we used low quality material and our engine have 1.000 hours of lifetime. Is this possible or it doesnt work that way?
I do not know what you are talking about. The necessary high quality materials are currently being developed. I'm sure if engine is developed they are ready.

Of course lifetime depends on material properties but there are limits.

For example if you can build a material which can endure incredible amount of stress that turbine blades can endure you already have the material knowlage you need to a degree. But even that is pretty hard. The problem is that; those turbine blades get so much stress at so high temperatures even getting a material which can work for a few minutes is a hard job. When you can build turbine blades which can withstand 1000 hours then the rest is easier. The biggest problem is we are new in turbines as a country. This first steps are the hardest part. When we step further from a certain treshold then it will get easier.

But still; this is not impossible for us, far from it. We can do it but we need a lot of experts on science and engineering on scientific base of materials and their behaviour, production of raw resources and semi-products etc. And we will need more know how and tests within our companies. With enough funding we can do it, I have no doubt.

@eagleeye Those engines have different properties than fighter jets. Fighter jet turbines are bigger with high rpms and high temperatures and they need to endure high G environments. So their material needs are much more complicated than smaller turbines. A lot of production technologies get into way. There are different supper alloys which use rare elements like vanadium, rhenium, osmium etc. You need to make tests for different alloys continiusly even after you have completed your engine to make it more reliable in time. Even these tests take time because you have to produce those alloys first. This kind of progress needs a lot of try and errors and a lot of data accumulated in your hands via these tests. This is why getting good at materials is a slow process.

Considering our current situation at this area we just need to wait probably couple of years to see a working prototype.

Biggest hope I have is that our country seems pretty dedicated on these projects. With enough dedication you will eventually win at the long run. This is the most important part.

I do not know what you are talking about. The necessary high quality materials are currently being developed. I'm sure if engine is developed they are ready.

Hummm... It's a lot more complicated than that.

In fact it's the most complicated thing that we can do in a fighter aircraft, his soul.

Back
Top Bottom