What's new

New Pilot Suite of the PAK-FA

A little problem Ogannisyan sir,I don't know russian can you plz upload the photo...:enjoy:

Haha, the video starts with a beer advertisement.

The video shows (I don't understand Russian) a pilot outfitted in what is called a partial-pressure suit, entering a barometric chamber. I am confident that what they are doing is testing extreme high-altitude life support, applicable to PAK-FA or any other high-flyer.

The partial pressure suit helps prevent (but not completely) the deadly danger of the bends, the evolution of nitrogen bubbles in a pilot's blood when decompression occurs. At normal flight altitudes, like an airliner, there is little danger of this. The cutoff is about 40,000 feet. Above that, the danger of decompression sickness is much higher, and at 50,000' complete incapacitation (possibly death) is almost guaranteed. That is why I've never understood Gulfstream and similar jets that cruise at 52,000'... if they lose cabin pressure, they are dead.

I forgot to mention - if you look at old pictures of U-2 and SR-71 pilots, you'll see the same thing, or a full pressure suit, like an astronaut. If the mission is known to be planned high, like the U-2, they'll have the pilot pre-breath pure oxygen for several hours before flight. This purges the body of all dissolved nitrogen, and the bends are much less likely. For whatever reason, oxygen does not behave like nitrogen and doesn't form bubbles.

People then ask "SCUBA divers get the bends. Why don't they use pure oxygen?" It is a nasty fact of oxygen that at HIGHER pressures, like 2 atmospheres or only 20 meters deep, 100% oxygen becomes totally toxic and you die. So O2 works up high, but not below the sea, for this purpose. Deep technical divers use a mix of oxygen and argon or helium,, the latter replacing the nitrogen in a breathable mix.

Partial pressure suit - U-2:
20.jpg

Full pressure suit SR-71. That thing he is carrying is pure oxygen (and also air conditioning and batteries, I think) while he steps to the jet...
pilotsuit1.jpg

I worked for the Physiological Support division and maintained these suits. The Liquid Oxygen Converter (the yellow box) contains no moving parts, and no batteries or other electronics. It contains a Liquid Oxygen (LOX) tank, expansion coils, and "fill-Build-up and Vent valve" to reduce the pressure and send oxygen gas to the suit via the hoses. The hose end has a flow valve and the suit has a cooling garment that distributes the oxygen flow to the extremities. There is a dual regulator in the back of the Helmet for breathing Oxygen, and the helmet has a face seal to keep the breathing oxygen separate from suit air. There is a one way valve in the face curtain to allow exhaled gases to pass into the suit. The round metal disc on the other side if the suit is the Suit pressure controller. There is a button which activate it for pressurizing the suit and testing its function. The controller is activated by a vacuum aneroid (two of them) with a knife edge diaphragm. At altitude the aneroid collapses and allows pressure into the suit, it also has a high pressure bypass function which stops the suit from over-inflating and allows pressure to escape.

I worked for the Physiological Support division and maintained these suits. The Liquid Oxygen Converter (the yellow box) contains no moving parts, and no batteries or other electronics. It contains a Liquid Oxygen (LOX) tank, expansion coils, and "fill-Build-up and Vent valve" to reduce the pressure and send oxygen gas to the suit via the hoses. The hose end has a flow valve and the suit has a cooling garment that distributes the oxygen flow to the extremities. There is a dual regulator in the back of the Helmet for breathing Oxygen, and the helmet has a face seal to keep the breathing oxygen separate from suit air. There is a one way valve in the face curtain to allow exhaled gases to pass into the suit. The round metal disc on the other side if the suit is the Suit pressure controller. There is a button which activate it for pressurizing the suit and testing its function. The controller is activated by a vacuum aneroid (two of them) with a knife edge diaphragm. At altitude the aneroid collapses and allows pressure into the suit, it also has a high pressure bypass function which stops the suit from over-inflating and allows pressure to escape.

A very informative post.

Why don't you introduce yourself in the introduction section and get to know the forum...I am sure you would find alot of informative stuff here.

Very good, sir. Hope you stay and contribute, as much as OpSec will allow, of your technical knowledge. A lot mentally 12-yr olds around here needs edukashun.

Back
Top Bottom