What's new

New member from hong kong

Hi mate,

I was from Hong Kong but was born in the US, I lived in Tuen Mun for around 15 years. And rotate around Shenzhen and surrounding area on and off for a few year.

lol, I don't know you lived in Hong Kong lol.....

I used to live in Tuen Mun in NT and Shek Kip Mei in Kowloon lol
Are you still living in Hong Kong? ?

I live in tung chung near airport. And I study in kowloon.[emoji4]

Tung Chung...........that's quite far, been there once when I leaves Hong Kong. I used to study in Kwun Tong for my secondary schooling, Kowloon Tong for my Primary Schooling. I attended CUHK for one year, but then I left Hong Kong and went back to the US.........

I currently live in Australia.

Are you still living in Hong Kong? ?

not anymore. I went back there like 5 years ago with my wife tho.

Hi mate,

I was from Hong Kong but was born in the US, I lived in Tuen Mun for around 15 years. And rotate around Shenzhen and surrounding area on and off for a few year.

lol, I don't know you lived in Hong Kong lol.....

I used to live in Tuen Mun in NT and Shek Kip Mei in Kowloon lol

Lived in Tai Po, my school was in Sha Tin hehe (each day my school bus would go past the scenic tolo harbour). I know Tuen Mun pretty well (stayed there for a while during a visit back at a buddys place)... Shek Kip Mei not so much....other than it was the station after getting on kowloon tong (from the KCR back when it was called that) on the way to TST in the MTR :P

Lived in Tai Po, my school was in Sha Tin hehe (each day my school bus would go past the scenic tolo harbour). I know Tuen Mun pretty well (stayed there for a while during a visit back at a buddys place)... Shek Kip Mei not so much....other than it was the station after getting on kowloon tong (from the KCR back when it was called that) on the way to TST in the MTR :P

Welcome back from the ban !!! hehe

Well, i went to CUHK for a year, so I know Sha Tin/Tai Po area quite well. (At least used to....)....

Used to travel quite a lot thru Tolo Harbor (usually cycle there but sometime by car) and go from Cheung Sha Wan to Sha Tin.....and it sounded fun a while and I kinda hate the commute, especially the highway there (I forgot the name, is it Tolo Harbor Highway???) were always congested to the max.

Shek Kip Mei is an old district, it is right next to Kowloon Tong and Boundry Street. For most people, it's the stop you go thru if you are crossing over from Kowloon Tong to NT MTR line. And yes, it used to be called KCR (all the way to Chinese Border Lo Wu) but i think KCR and MTR merged after 2002.

May I ask where you went to school? Cause I went to quite a few school, I went to an international school and then public school in Hong Kong, maybe we went to the same school lol :)

Welcome back from the ban !!! hehe

Well, i went to CUHK for a year, so I know Sha Tin/Tai Po area quite well. (At least used to....)....

Used to travel quite a lot thru Tolo Harbor (usually cycle there but sometime by car) and go from Cheung Sha Wan to Sha Tin.....and it sounded fun a while and I kinda hate the commute, especially the highway there (I forgot the name, is it Tolo Harbor Highway???) were always congested to the max.

Shek Kip Mei is an old district, it is right next to Kowloon Tong and Boundry Street. For most people, it's the stop you go thru if you are crossing over from Kowloon Tong to NT MTR line. And yes, it used to be called KCR (all the way to Chinese Border Lo Wu) but i think KCR and MTR merged after 2002.

May I ask where you went to school? Cause I went to quite a few school, I went to an international school and then public school in Hong Kong, maybe we went to the same school lol :)

My sister was actually looking at CUHK (and couple other HK unis) for a while for her degree...she finally settled on NUS singapore.

Yeah that whole area often is quite congested. I often got stuck in the jams in my school bus. You are right the old name (of the harbour part) was Tolo highway...the southern part from cheung sha wan to sha tin (through Tai Wai) I think was Tai Po road. Though to get to kowloon area, I would normally go via either lion rock or tates cairn tunnel.

They still keep the old names but I believe the whole system is just called route 9 and 8 respectively officially (last I was there at least).

Yup I was there when it was the KCR. I took the KCR way more as well (school, friends etc all in NT mostly)....the MTR was more when I went downtown (kowloon or island) with friends and/or family.

But you are right they are the same merged (MTR) system now and I believe the remnant KCRC is just a real estate holding + financing company now (like China motor bus also did)....though if you look carefully enough you will find the KCRC name still on things like drainage covers and other such infra.

The school I went to was run by the ESF....called Sha Tin Junior School. Went there from beginning to end (early P1 to P6) and then half a year to next door Sha Tin College (year 7) before we moved to Singapore. I went there again last visit to see how its changed and they have built it up so much now...its so different but certain things remain the same. Nice to see the ESF is still running strong in HK. My principal is retired now and got an award from the HK govt and also an OBE from the British govt I believe for his services (he along with the vice principal during my time was instrumental in creating that school in the mid/late 80s)

My sister was actually looking at CUHK (and couple other HK unis) for a while for her degree...she finally settled on NUS singapore.

Yeah that whole area often is quite congested. I often got stuck in the jams in my school bus. You are right the old name (of the harbour part) was Tolo highway...the southern part from cheung sha wan to sha tin (through Tai Wai) I think was Tai Po road. Though to get to kowloon area, I would normally go via either lion rock or tates cairn tunnel.

They still keep the old names but I believe the whole system is just called route 9 and 8 respectively officially (last I was there at least).

Yup I was there when it was the KCR. I took the KCR way more as well (school, friends etc all in NT mostly)....the MTR was more when I went downtown (kowloon or island) with friends and/or family.

But you are right they are the same merged (MTR) system now and I believe the remnant KCRC is just a real estate holding + financing company now (like China motor bus also did)....though if you look carefully enough you will find the KCRC name still on things like drainage covers and other such infra.

The school I went to was run by the ESF....called Sha Tin Junior School. Went there from beginning to end (early P1 to P6) and then half a year to next door Sha Tin College (year 7) before we moved to Singapore. I went there again last visit to see how its changed and they have built it up so much now...its so different but certain things remain the same. Nice to see the ESF is still running strong in HK. My principal is retired now and got an award from the HK govt and also an OBE from the British govt I believe for his services (he along with the vice principal during my time was instrumental in creating that school in the mid/late 80s)

CUHK is a nice school. I almsot can't get in because I only get a D in Chinese Laungage and Culture in HKALE. But then when I was doing college in HK, there aren't too many of those to choose from, I went to CUHK during 1999/2000 and back then there were only 4 universities in Hong Kong. There aren't many beside HKU, CUHK, HK Polytechnic and City Polytechnic. Ling Nan wasn't even a university when I was in JUPAS. i think it become an University immediately after.

I went to the US after 2000 being sick and tried of the political and economical environment in Hong Kong. Then I joined the military, fast track my degree to graduate within 2 years and get commissioned after 9/11 and here I am, talking to you in PDF :)

I usually travel by train to University, there were a bus get me to MongKok from Tuen Mun (I think it was 68x) then I usually just walk from Mong Kok to KCR Mong Kok station. Ironically, it was not linked with MTR like they do in Kolwoon Tong.

I don't generally go to Sha Tin unless I was with friends on the weekend, and the only thing to do in tolo harbour is to hire a bicycle and ride all the way to Fun Lang.

I don't drive in Hong Kong so I don't go thru Lion Rock tunnel. I have no idea what is tates cairn tunnel. (Maybe I will know its Chinese name, but I kind of forgot a lot of thing in Hong Kong to begin with.

What is ESF by the way?

CUHK is a nice school. I almsot can't get in because I only get a D in Chinese Laungage and Culture in HKALE. But then when I was doing college in HK, there aren't too many of those to choose from, I went to CUHK during 1999/2000 and back then there were only 4 universities in Hong Kong. There aren't many beside HKU, CUHK, HK Polytechnic and City Polytechnic. Ling Nan wasn't even a university when I was in JUPAS. i think it become an University immediately after.

I went to the US after 2000 being sick and tried of the political and economical environment in Hong Kong. Then I joined the military, fast track my degree to graduate within 2 years and get commissioned after 9/11 and here I am, talking to you in PDF :)

I usually travel by train to University, there were a bus get me to MongKok from Tuen Mun (I think it was 68x) then I usually just walk from Mong Kok to KCR Mong Kok station. Ironically, it was not linked with MTR like they do in Kolwoon Tong.

I don't generally go to Sha Tin unless I was with friends on the weekend, and the only thing to do in tolo harbour is to hire a bicycle and ride all the way to Fun Lang.

I don't drive in Hong Kong so I don't go thru Lion Rock tunnel. I have no idea what is tates cairn tunnel. (Maybe I will know its Chinese name, but I kind of forgot a lot of thing in Hong Kong to begin with.

What is ESF by the way?

Sha Tin was actually where I first lived when I came to HK with my mom (after my dad decided his job was good/secure)...for like a couple years from when I was 3 to 5 years old or so and I know it pretty well still. We later moved to Tai Po which was closer to my dad's job and also a bigger flat for same cost IIRC....and that was the majority of my HK living experience (though school was in Sha Tin...hence the daily trip across Tolo for me).

Yeah the Mong Kok in KCR route was different from the MTR one. I always found that weird too....never really used Mong Kok KCR station that much (cept a cpl times when we went to our eye doctor who was in that approximate area)...normally it would be the station we pass through before we get to Kowloon terminus station on KCR.

KCR after all is a much older railroad than MTR....in fact I went to the KCR train museum in Tai Wo (right next to Tai Po) with my school the one time....they had a good collection of locos and carriages + the old station building there.

Mong Kok MTR on the other hand I remember using frequently to change train across platform to get to TST, given the green line ended at yau ma tei. There would always be a train waiting across platform ready there most of the time, loved HK public transport now that I think back. We also had a major bus interchange in Tai Po near where we lived....with buses 73X, 74X, 75X that we used quite frequently (mom used 74X to get to her office in kowloon bay). Her office had a great view of kai tak airport (when I had to go there a few times during my holidays etc)...its what got me interested a lot in aircraft....seeing them take off and land on that narrow strip of land.

By Fun lang you mean fan ling? Yah I have been there, its on the way to Lo Wu. You are right its a popular bike trip across tolo. Normally as a kid though my sojourns were a lot shorter...would go across the tai po river (forgot the name of it) to where it met tolo harbour normally (it was a small hill with a tower at the top). That's where I first learned I could eavesdrop with my walkie talkie on police frequencies lol....good times. The view was pretty good from up there (could see the entire harbour and industrial area). Sometimes if I planned the trip more, I could make it all the way to plover cove reservoir area....thats about as far as I went a cpl times I think (by bike). I've gone further east by bus/van/car to get to Sai Kung either with school/family/friends for the nice outdoor activities there....but the approach was on the southern side of tolo harbour i believe.

BTW, Tates Cairn tunnel is the one further east of lion rock tunnel to connect sha tin with kowloon bay directly. I think its HK longest tunnel. I know it well because the 74X bus (to my moms office/kowloon bay) went through it.

Lion rock tunnel was one I used more earlier on when I was really small to get to my kindergarten in kowloon tong area (near the baptist hospital).

Those two along with shing mun tunnel (to connect tsuen wan) were the 3 big tunnels I knew well....the 3 major arteries connecting Eastern New territories across that mountainous backbone area when I was there. Lion Rock is the oldest I believe.

ESF = English Schools Foundation. They ran/run a series of english medium schools (from K, primary to year 12) on the British system when I was there (I believe now its mostly transitioned to the IB system after GCSE/MYP from previous A levels). I think they are the largest international school system in Asia by total enrollment.

Welcome here, I hope you will enjoy your stay here. Thanks

I used to stay at Tsim Tsa Tsui, Chatham road, Whenever visited HK.

Thanks guy for well wishes. I try my best to contribute [emoji5][emoji5]

Back
Top Bottom