What's new

New LPC BNS Rupsha will be launched today at KSY

Mainly Drydock-related repairs for anything that fits in it....

10562537_725375630881307_1438196003964982355_o.jpg

Guided Missile Frigate BNS Osman On-board BNFD SUNDARBAN, Floating Dry dock of Bangladesh Navy. Maximum lifting capacity of 3500 tons.

When india found out we were in the market for subs, they asked us to buy Russian Kilo's instead of Chinese subs....as you rightly said indians don't make subs (IN actually imports from Russia, Germany and France) so not sure where the author got that idea...There was never any request for subs from india.

That was bad advice from the Indians. As I mentioned in another thread - Kilos are way too large for our shallow littoral shelf areas (10 to 30 meters). A sub with newer super-maneuvering technology may be needed (X-wing fins plus cavitation-free slower props) which allows skimming close to the sea floor.

The two best finalists in my opinion (take with a grain of salt) are the smaller Gotland class from SAAB Kockums (Sweden) and U209 variant (Chang Bogo) from S. Korea (Hyundai/Daewoo). The first was adopted by Singapore Navy and the second by the Indonesian Navy. And they were picked for those exact shallow sea patrol reasons in those countries. Examples of both can be had for ~USD350 million.

Pakistan did not have this issue. Their littoral sea shelf area is probably rather small. Hence choice of DCNS subs were okay.

10562537_725375630881307_1438196003964982355_o.jpg

Guided Missile Frigate BNS Osman On-board BNFD SUNDARBAN, Floating Dry dock of Bangladesh Navy. Maximum lifting capacity of 3500 tons.
It surprised me to see such a floating dry dock in action. I thought it is possible only in the 007 James Bond movies. Thanks for uploading such a fantastic picture.

Whoa, I did not know that. But honestly speaking what sub could they have provided us? And why we went to them in the first place? As far as i can recall they dont produce any subs other than arihant class.
I have also not heard anything like this either from civilian community or strategic community.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom