What's new

New Beijing-Tibet expressway project approved

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score

An expressway project to ease traffic congestion on a section of the Beijing-Tibet expressway has been given the green light.

The proposed 217 km-long six-lane new expressway will link the national capital of Beijing with Hohhot, capital of Inner Mongolia, said the Inner Mongolia Expressway Construction Development Co. Ltd on Wednesday.

The company said the expressway will be part of the Beijing-Xinjiang Expressway, which is to link Beijing with Urumqi, capital of northwest Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, by 2013.

The expressway project is expected to ease traffic pressure on the Inner Mongolia section of Beijing-Tibet Expressway, which last year saw coal trucks piled up along it for days. A 120-km stretch of the expressway was gridlocked, attracting worldwide media attention.

Chinese authorities started in October last year to expand the existing section of Beijing-Tibet Expressway in Inner Mongolia from four to eight lanes.

Good move. An expressway would be much more financially viable as compared to a High Speed train.

And we all know how necessary this expressway is, as we saw what happened last year with the 10 day traffic jams.

Good development it would help connect the both capitals.:cheers:

Why build a road to haul coal rather than a railway? Coal trucks mash roads flat quickly. A railway for hauling coal is almost always the superior capital investment. (It's also a form of rail service where employing steam engines is demonstrably superior, economically, to employing diesel or electric.)

My Chinese friends can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think a rail track already exists between the regions. Unfortunately, that is choked because passenger services take preference over goods movement. Hence coal trucks have to move on the road, choking the highways as well. There is an urgent need for decongestion of existing infrastructure.

My Chinese friends can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think a rail track already exists between the regions. Unfortunately, that is choked because passenger services take preference over goods movement. Hence coal trucks have to move on the road, choking the highways as well. There is an urgent need for decongestion of existing infrastructure.

Yes there is a railway up to Lhasa, but it's only one track.
I think they were going to make som double lined now, right?

There has to be an error somewhere in the report. Lhasa is three thousand kilometers southwest of Beijing and Hohhot is several hundred kilometers northwest of Beijing. The report makes no sense geographically speaking.

good good. so that i can drive to Tibet.

some officials will take big bribes in the project then.

Good development it would help connect the both capitals.:cheers:

There is only capital, it is called Beijing.

many Chinese will be happy to see india divided into pieces and guess what? we have better resources and skills to make it happen.

Yes, there is certaintly a need for more highway to match the fast growing numbers of cars and trucks. With car sales matching USA, China's highway total length is just a small fraction that of US. More highway, railway and airports need to be constructed.

There are actually alternate highway for coal trucks during the Beijing highway jam, but they had to pay high toll rates that affect their transport profits, so they all went to that particular highway to save cost and made the jame worst.

There are actually alternate highway for coal trucks during the Beijing highway jam, but they had to pay high toll rates that affect their transport profits, so they all went to that particular highway to save cost and made the jame worst.

Lol I doubt they saved anything in the end, time is money.

Back
Top Bottom