What's new

New Aircraft carrier of China built at Qingdao?????

Not sure it is. In fact chances are it is nothing. I don't think plans for new carrier will be finalized before the Liaoning carrier achieves so sort of combat readiness and has a battle group that has some experience.

Looking at our Type 54A, Type 52B programs, it is likely the Navy wants the battle group to be formed ASAP. Why? They want experience in operating a battle group.

If they want to build a carrier now, they would have slowed the other programs, but the fact that they fasten the pace means that they want these programs to mature and not go in blind for the second carrier.

There is no shipyard in Qingdao having the ability to build a aricraft:no:

its not a carrier, the thing you see in the google earth images is a barge of some kind and was already launched

large-chinese-barge.jpg

That be a FAKE [author edit: or so I thought at first, untill new pic emerged. see http://www.defence.pk/forums/naval-...liaoning-vs-vikramaditya-22.html#post4344170]

The original is a google earth image, or actually two space images coming together on a slight diagonal angle, with the right half showing the rear ends of 2 seperate ships (a ro-ro car-carrier and a container ship or ) in one dock and a beginning ship (probably also 5-6 gen container ship of some 300m) in the other dock. In the left half, both dock are empty.
1369203835359.jpg

This is confirmed for the second dock in the zoomed out pic, which showns 2 similar finished ship along shore. Clearly post panamax or post panamax plus container vessels. Of similar length to Liaoning, which measures 304,5m over all. That too suggests that 'thing' with the strange hull is not a carrier: it is shorter even than Liaoning. Varyag follow on Ulyanovsk measured 321.2 meters (and I would expect PLAN carrier no.2 to be equal to or bigger rather than smaller relative to Liaoning)
1369203844930.jpg

Use google earth and check the time feature to follow the developments over the last year.... this also conforms my view.

teu-trend-5.jpg

[edit: author update > as applesauce remarked correctly, it actually turns out to be a barge, but remarks about sat-imagery stand. See http://www.defence.pk/forums/naval-...liaoning-vs-vikramaditya-22.html#post4344170]. It still ISN"T a CARRIER]

Whoever posted the original google earth images of this vessel, caused a bit of a storm............coz it ain't no carrier....photos close up at sea level show this to be a barge which carries crane etc to build oil rigs!

The narrow part of the barge houses a crane, and the oil rig structures are carried on the wider section of the barge!

ps: the sides of this vessel are painted bright blue, and then red below at just above the waterline.

Just read the comment from POP3 carefully, the first aircraft carrier will be built by the Dalian Shipyard, it is the improved version of CV-16, while the second one will be built by the Jiangnan Shipyard, a 80-90k tons conventional carrier with the steam catapults.

China will eventually start to the build the 100k tons class nuclear powered carrier with the EMALS by 2020. :coffee:

Just read the comment from POP3 carefully, the first aircraft carrier will be built by the Dalian Shipyard, it is the improved version of CV-16, while the second one will be built by the Jiangnan Shipyard, a 80-90k tons conventional carrier with the steam catapults.

China will eventually start to the build the 100k tons class nuclear powered carrier with the EMALS by 2020. :coffee:

.....who or what is 'POP3' I'am curious?

He is a well respected military insider from HSH forum.

HSH forum is the forum where those Type 052C/D pics got leaked.

Thanks i thought that was the case.........incidently i have tried to register at HSH forums, but i find the cryptic word puzzle in the registration process a hindrance, as it doesnt seem to translate from Chinese to English well!

btw: do you think China is going the right way, by designing different types of carrier, rather than sticking to one new design?

Thanks i thought that was the case.........incidently i have tried to register at HSH forums, but i find the cryptic word puzzle in the registration process a hindrance, as it doesnt seem to translate from Chinese to English well!

btw: do you think China is going the right way, by designing different types of carrier, rather than sticking to one new design?

They have just started the restriction on ID registration, i think the IP from outside of PRC will have a hard time to access the navy warship forum of the board.

But the leaked pics will be eventually spread by some members to the other Chinese military forums.

Back
Top Bottom