What's new

Nepal pushes to end dependency on India with China rail, tunnel deals

master_13

Reaction score
Country
China
KATHMANDU (Reuters) - Chinese President Xi Jinping wound up two days of meetings in Nepal on Sunday with separate deals for a rail link to Tibet and a tunnel, an official said, as the Himalayan nation seeks to end an Indian dominance over its trade routes by increasing connectivity with Beijing.

The 70-km (42-mile) rail link will connect Gyiron in Tibet with Nepal's capital city of Kathmandu, making it one of the most ambitious infrastructure projects in the country.

A Chinese team has already conducted a preliminary study for the project, which will be part of China’s Belt and Road Initiative, Xi's signature diplomatic and trade push that is attempting to recreate the old Silk Road joining China with Asia and Europe.

Alongside, a proposed 28-km (17 mile) road tunnel will more than halve the distance from Kathmandu to the Chinese border, saving on time and cost.

"China will now conduct a feasibility study of the rail project and help construct the tunnel way," Rajeshor Gyawali, a spokesman for Nepal's Ministry of Physical Infrastructure and Transport, told Reuters.

Nepal has sought to increase connectivity with China since a blockade along its border with India resulted in several months of acute shortage of fuel and medicine in 2015 and 2016.

"These facilities will give us alternative trade routes when we face border blockades," Gyawali said.

China and India jostle for influence over Nepal, the natural buffer between them, and are investing in infrastructure. India accounts for nearly two thirds of Nepal's trade and is the sole supplier of fuel.

Officials from both sides also signed 20 deals covering trade, water supply and traditional medicines at the end of Xi's visit, the first by a Chinese president in 22 years.

"We will help Nepal realize its dream of becoming a land-linked country from a land-locked one," Xi said at a dinner on Saturday after he arrived from India where he had informal meetings with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

That's the best scenario. China and Nepal should accelerate the project and try to expand it. Cheaper and direct flights between Chinese ports and Nepal would also help though main load will be taken by the trains. In addition, that will be a beautiful train ride.

$2.7b for 70km... I wonder how much railway through Gilgit will cost.

$2.7b for 70km... I wonder how much railway through Gilgit will cost.

I don't think it will $2.7b for 70km, that region is mountainous and remote area, so cost would be around $10b.

just take BRT and Orange Line for example how much they cost per kilometer in plain area...

Great, but ho pays the amount
Is it divided between Nepal and china??

Great, but ho pays the amount
Is it divided between Nepal and china??

I wonder small countries are still not learning the "Economic aggression of China.

It'll be all facilitated by China...for China's benefit at Nepal's cost....Another CPEC or CNEC (China Nepal Economic Corridor)

I wonder small countries are still not learning the "Economic aggression of China.

It'll be all facilitated by China...for China's benefit at Nepal's cost....Another CPEC or CNEC (China Nepal Economic Corridor)
Yeah, China should learn from the Brits, just come in, exterminate the aborigines and call it their.

No west countries invested infrastructures in developing countries, why? They made money from war and financial crisis.

Yeah, China should learn from the Brits, just come in, exterminate the aborigines and call it their.

Why not from Nazis then?

No west countries invested infrastructures in developing countries, why? They made money from war and financial crisis.

West countries never stopped you from taking loans from IMF/Worldbank and then use it in your development...thing is you can't trust your own leaders's honesty....whether money will go to development or in their pockets and thus come China....
China says, i'll provide loan, to be paid back to me, for the construction by my companies, my men and my material...and once infrastructure is built, I'll swamp your markets with my products without paying duties/getting special tax exemptions....and thus shattering your economy....once that is done and you are not in condition of paying back loan...I'll get my developed infrastructure on lease for my use.......you in short, have paid for your own economic oppression by me (China)..

Why not from Nazis then?

West countries never stopped you from taking loans from IMF/Worldbank and then use it in your development...thing is you can't trust your own leaders's honesty....whether money will go to development or in their pockets and thus come China....
China says, i'll provide loan, to be paid back to me, for the construction by my companies, my men and my material...and once infrastructure is built, I'll swamp your markets with my products without paying duties/getting special tax exemptions....and thus shattering your economy....once that is done and you are not in condition of paying back loan...I'll get my developed infrastructure on lease for my use.......you in short, have paid for your own economic oppression by me (China)..

IMF is debt trap indeed, if you want money from IMF you have to change your policies following IMF's guidelines.

The West countries are angry because the developing countries have another choice now.

Why not from Nazis then?

Which place has Germany exterminated the aborigines and called it Australia or USA?

KATHMANDU (Reuters) - Chinese President Xi Jinping wound up two days of meetings in Nepal on Sunday with separate deals for a rail link to Tibet and a tunnel, an official said, as the Himalayan nation seeks to end an Indian dominance over its trade routes by increasing connectivity with Beijing.

The 70-km (42-mile) rail link will connect Gyiron in Tibet with Nepal's capital city of Kathmandu, making it one of the most ambitious infrastructure projects in the country.

A Chinese team has already conducted a preliminary study for the project, which will be part of China’s Belt and Road Initiative, Xi's signature diplomatic and trade push that is attempting to recreate the old Silk Road joining China with Asia and Europe.

Alongside, a proposed 28-km (17 mile) road tunnel will more than halve the distance from Kathmandu to the Chinese border, saving on time and cost.

"China will now conduct a feasibility study of the rail project and help construct the tunnel way," Rajeshor Gyawali, a spokesman for Nepal's Ministry of Physical Infrastructure and Transport, told Reuters.

Nepal has sought to increase connectivity with China since a blockade along its border with India resulted in several months of acute shortage of fuel and medicine in 2015 and 2016.

"These facilities will give us alternative trade routes when we face border blockades," Gyawali said.

China and India jostle for influence over Nepal, the natural buffer between them, and are investing in infrastructure. India accounts for nearly two thirds of Nepal's trade and is the sole supplier of fuel.

Officials from both sides also signed 20 deals covering trade, water supply and traditional medicines at the end of Xi's visit, the first by a Chinese president in 22 years.

"We will help Nepal realize its dream of becoming a land-linked country from a land-locked one," Xi said at a dinner on Saturday after he arrived from India where he had informal meetings with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
India played dirtily and inhumanly
2015 Nepal blockade
The 2015 Nepal blockade, which began on 23 September 2015, was an economic and humanitarian crisis which severely affected Nepal and its economy. Nepal had accused India of imposing an undeclared blockade.

April 2015 Nepal earthquake

The April 2015 Nepal earthquake (also known as the Gorkha earthquake) killed nearly 9,000 people and injured nearly 22,000.
upload_2019-10-14_18-13-28.png

That's the best scenario. China and Nepal should accelerate the project and try to expand it. Cheaper and direct flights between Chinese ports and Nepal would also help though main load will be taken by the trains. In addition, that will be a beautiful train ride.
I think one day Nepal will link Pakistan by railroad, how do you like it?

IMF is debt trap indeed, if you want money from IMF you have to change your policies following IMF's guidelines.

The West countries are angry because the developing countries have another choice now.
IMF = I Am Fired. See South Korea 1997 crisis, what did IMF did? The US took Samsung, Samsung is west company, not Korean.

India played dirtily and inhumanly
2015 Nepal blockade
The 2015 Nepal blockade, which began on 23 September 2015, was an economic and humanitarian crisis which severely affected Nepal and its economy. Nepal had accused India of imposing an undeclared blockade.

April 2015 Nepal earthquake

The April 2015 Nepal earthquake (also known as the Gorkha earthquake) killed nearly 9,000 people and injured nearly 22,000.
View attachment 584003

I think one day Nepal will link Pakistan by railroad, how do you like it?

To Indians, a disaster is an opportunity for profit. Indians are experts at gauging the unfortunate at time of need. And they call that good business sense. No wonder they worship Donald Trump as a god. Sick....

Back
Top Bottom