What's new

Need for Land Reforms in Pakistan

Is there any need for land reforms in Pakistan

• Yes

Votes: 16 94.1%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
After visiting India and studying the big land reforms there i came to softening up little bit on the demand

Nehru`s reforms were a partial success only , so were the Mao agri reforms of 1950 .. but still they achieved enough ..
A "Green Revolution" may not be the result , but such reforms would be quite beneficial

Last edited:
photo.php
1002638_572520619469936_92983462_n.jpg

Pakistan needs land reforms. You guyz shud be done with this Wadera culture. With democracy shud come common man's rule and hence equality for common man. My wishes with you guyz for ur succes in this step. :tup:

Any examples ???

1. Land gets fragmented - economies of scale advantage is lessened.
2. People get the my baap culture - that if they dont have something its the govt's job to give it to them.
3. free loading gets a little ingrained.

On the other hands - the positives are a lot
1. Fiefdoms of landowners is broken.
2. massive Political clout of the few is broken and lessened. This automatically means that the little guy on the street has more clout.
3. Creates a class that aspires to move ahead in life
4. Breaks perpetual serfdom in these little fiefdoms of the landlords.

And if managed properly - like a land ceiling of decent size then economies of scale can still be

Overall, Land reforms are a good thing since the British tried to make sure that a few landlords held most of the lands. The only thing is that it should not degenerate into populism.

Nehru`s reforms were a partial success only , so were the Mao agri reforms of 1950 .. but still they achieved enough ..
A "Green Revolution" may not be the result , but such reforms would be quite beneficial
They achieved enough to break the stranglehold of huge landlords in many areas in India(not all).
That gave the common man some breathing space and made sure govts are not held hostage to these big landlords.

The only land reform I would support is if someone is not planting crops on agri land and basically wasting production potential then it should be confiscated and redistributed to farmers willing to utilise the land.

Referendum on land reforms sought

KARACHI, Dec 12: Various civil society organisations on Thursday demanded a ‘referendum’ in Sindh to settle the controversy on land reforms, which got messier with the Sindh government’s ‘shocking’ response in the Supreme Court going against its own party’s reforms introduced four decades back.

They criticised the Sindh government’s reply submitted before the Supreme Court reportedly supporting the Shariat court ruling during Gen Ziaul Haq’s rule declaring the land reforms of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto’s government as ‘un-Islamic’.

“We condemn the Sindh government’s stance on such a vital issue. The provincial government is still with the PPP, the leader of which had introduced those landmark reforms, which it said were good then and incongruous now,” said Karamat Ali, director of the Pakistan Institute of Labour Education and Research, at a press conference at the Karachi Press Club.

He said his and several other rights organisations had challenged the decision of the Supreme Court’s appellate bench in which it upheld the Shariat court’s decision against the land reforms. So far the Sindh and Punjab governments had filed their opinions before the SC full bench hearing the case.

He said the PPP, PML-N and Tehreek-i-Insaf were poles apart on ideology but they were allies where their vested interests were served.

“They are blood enemies in public but on this issue they all are one. The two big landlords who are the PTI’s frontline leaders are party against our petition,” he said.

Mehnaz Rehman of the Aurat Foundation said the PPP boasted to be the champion of peasants and labourers, but it negated its very ideology by opposing its own leader’s basic agenda.

Ramzan Memon of the Bhandar Sangat said they would not press on their petition if the people themselves went against the land reforms in a referendum.

Mr Ali said in their plea with the SC’s full bench they had pleaded against the Supreme Court’s decision of upholding the Shariat court judgement, which was “beyond the court limits” as the law was passed by parliament.

Saeed Baloch of the Pakistan Fisherfolk Forum and Noor Mohammad of the Pakistan Workers Confederation also spoke.

Referendum on land reforms sought - DAWN.COM

15/12/2013
Awami Workers Party Lahore Rally against price hike, unemployment, privatisation and for land reforms .

993496_266551503494954_705355311_n.jpg

1476535_266551553494949_1559426756_n.jpg

1503290_266551516828286_902280714_n.jpg

1480663_266551496828288_1726355152_n.jpg

1512622_266629470153824_51958417_n.jpg

1477903_266629570153814_1845961434_n.jpg

Last edited:
1. Land gets fragmented - economies of scale advantage is lessened.

Farmers' cooperatives can be established to coordinate activities and leverage economies of scale.

2. People get the my baap culture - that if they dont have something its the govt's job to give it to them.

The only people who should get land are those farmers who have been working on the land already.

3. free loading gets a little ingrained.

No free loading.

-- Establish minimum wage and benefits for workers.
-- Apply them retroactively from 1947.
-- Any feudal who cannot pay up will lose his land and it will be given to the farmers who have been slaving for decades.

However, none of this will ever happen in Pakistan.

Not just land-"reforms". We need an agrarian-revolution.— in Punjab, Pakistan.

Land reforms will never happen in Pakistan.

The feudals, robber barons and military generals are all in cahoots and they will see the nation disintegrate -- as in 1971 -- before they give up an iota of power.

In Punjab - we need to put full stop on converting fertile lands into residential schemes, Problem of Feudalism is in mostly southern Punjab and Sindh. We also need reforms in Baluchistan to uplift common people. I don't support nationalization of corporations and pro-Privatization, let the people run business, govt. should focus on tax collection & administration.

Farmers' cooperatives can be established to coordinate activities and leverage economies of scale.

The only people who should get land are those farmers who have been working on the land already.
You are giving me theory and I was telling what happens and will happen in the real world.
Farmers coops can be established and will be established, but how extensively that is the question. We also have farmers coops - i think the largest number in the world - and it didnt make a dent into being able to leverage economies of scale.

Poor farmers are just not receptive to the idea - they are illiterate and ignorant.

As for only those people getting land who already till it, that will be true for the most part, but a small yet not insignificant number of union leaders/labour leaders will also get it and then it degenerates to localized class wars. This also happened.

No free loading.

-- Establish minimum wage and benefits for workers.
-- Apply them retroactively from 1947.
-- Any feudal who cannot pay up will lose his land and it will be given to the farmers who have been slaving for decades.
Easy to say, excruciatingly hard to implement. Even the most honest of intentions and laws will lead to chaos for a few years.
However, it is necessary to go through all that I mentioned above to come out better.

However, none of this will ever happen in Pakistan.

The feudals, robber barons and military generals are all in cahoots and they will see the nation disintegrate -- as in 1971 -- before they give up an iota of power.
I agree.

Land reform increases disposable income to the poor cultivators but it must be associated with-

- Industrialisation to utilise the disposable income and newly expanded market
- stong Co-operative movement to prevent the ill effect of land fragmentation and keep economy of scale

The feudals, robber barons and military generals are all in cahoots and they will see the nation disintegrate -- as in 1971 -- before they give up an iota of power

No oppressors give up power willingly , you have to take it from them forcefully
The future of Pakistan is bright IA

All Pakistanis please think before answering. Do u guyz really think something called Land Reform is even possible in a country like Pakistan especially the ideology and mentality behind which Pakistan was created. Pakistan is the land of Indian Muslim Waderas as they only supported the idea of Pakistan and promised to being votes and numbers for the support of Pakistan idea.

Back
Top Bottom