What's new

Nawaz is isolated.He hates his party he has no bureaucrats his inner circ IT’S not rele has shrunk

mr42O

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
IT’S not really paralysis. It’s not quite suspended animation.

It’s not even fear or uncertainty. It’s just — nothing.

Nawaz was supposed to be the leader who could. Instead, he’s become the leader who can’t. What’s going on?

But before that — just how bad are things? Bad. Really bad.

Here’s how a typical meeting with the boss plays out: minister, courtier or supplicant lays out the lie of the land; Nawaz listens, then listens some more; minister, courtier or supplicant senses the boss doesn’t want to say anything, so he sketches out the options himself.

Nawaz keeps listening; minister, courtier or supplicant grows desperate as meeting draws to a close; Nawaz ends meeting with a polite thank you, saying nothing about what he’s decided or even if he’s decided or even just when he’ll decide; minister, courtier or supplicant leaves wondering what’s going on with the boss and what he’s supposed to do about the problem he went to the boss with.

Or a rumour spreads: Nisar’s head is on the chopping block because Nawaz has tired of him. No one is quite sure why, but the ones in the know know Nisar has fallen out of favour.

Except, nothing happens. Neither is Nisar reassured nor do the rumours die nor does Nisar get reined in. And he’s your point man and supposed go-to guy on internal security.

And that’s just a sample of the all kinds of messed up this government has already become. So what’s going on with Nawaz?

Forget the silliness about Nov 28 and Dec 12. The twin retirements of the chiefs matter, but it’s just a fig leaf. To understand why, flip the question around: what exactly could they block if Nawaz takes a policy decision? He’s got five years; they had only months, weeks and days.

Nor does the reality-is-just-sinking-in, things-are-worse-than-he-had-realised explanation work five months in. Yeah, things are bad, but if you’re prime minister a couple of weeks of high-level briefings and the contours of the problems are apparent enough. Get on with it.

It comes down to two explanations, one of which the N-League admits resignedly, the other that it still only dare whisper.

Nawaz is isolated. He hates his party, he has no bureaucrats, his inner circle has shrunk and, for some, there’s no Abbaji around this time. You can’t fix a country if there’s no one you really trust. Especially if you never were the sharpest pencil in the box to begin with.

The theory makes sense — to a degree. Isolation isn’t something you can’t break out of. And not everything about governance is automatically about trust — or the fear of being stabbed in the back or being screwed over.

So isolation isn’t enough of a theory on its own. But then there’s the other theory.

Has Nawaz given up?

Has he figured out that nothing can save Pakistan? That everything’s too broken for anything to be fixed? That all a pol can do is sit tight, hang on and hope for the best — that somewhere down the road, when the tumult and upheaval and brokenness resolve themselves somehow, recovery can be attempted?

The theory is less that Nawaz doesn’t know what to do and more that he’s figured out nothing can be done. Which, really, isn’t that surprising a realisation to anyone who’s been paying attention all these years. A declining state will eventually approach terminal state.

Now pair the theory of hopelessness with the theory of isolation — and you’re left with a whole lot of nothing. Which is precisely what we’re stuck with on the Nawaz front.

Which leaves the rest of us — you and me, the hapless lot stuck in the rear compartment of a train to nowhere — with a very simple question: can anything be done to jolt Nawaz into action?

Yes. But not by us. Just by events.

The problem with events though is that they rarely provide the right incentives for the right decisions — at least events of the Pakistani kind in the Pakistani milieu.

Take the economy.

Inflation, inflation, inflation. Punjab is already rumbling about it; that and electricity and the rupee. The N-League is worried, and for obvious reasons.

But then there’s Nawaz, always talking calmly about the economy and growth and making things better, seemingly living in another economy to the one the rest of Pakistan is struggling with.

Read between the lines and Nawaz’s approach on the economy comes down to this: forget trying to fix what’s already broken, just get more electricity to the people and wait for the trade dividend with India to explode.

Essentially, Nawaz is playing the long game — gambling that he’s got five years, so that gives him at least three to begin to produce results. Which is why he didn’t back Dar to take any tough decisions during the budget and hasn’t paid any attention to the IMF commitments.

But events wait for no man, even Nawaz. And so you already have the rumbling in Punjab — on inflation, on electricity, on the rupee — and the N-League having no idea what to do about any of it.

Which has forced them into doing what everyone else before them has done: give whatever handouts they can to whoever they can until there’s absolutely no room for any more handouts and then everyone is even more unhappy.

Which takes us back to the twin theories of despair and isolation.

Nothing can be done because everything’s too broken to be fixed and there’s no one Nawaz can rely on — with events working to further entrench those twin beliefs of Nawaz.

And therein lies the tale of the PM who went from being the leader who could to the leader who can’t in double-quick time.

The writer is a member of staff.

cyril.a@gmail.com

Twitter: @cyalm

From could to can’t - DAWN.COM

lol... Imran khan playing double game with Potians... ek taraf wo dharna deny ki baty kr raha hy or dosri trf us ka cm janab teeli khattak USAID band hony k dar sy dharny mai shamil nahi!!! ek trf syasat chamkai ja rahi hy or dosri trf dollar kamye jarhy, ek trf karkun truck drivers ko nishana bana rhy hy or dosri trf jnab police ko order diya jraha hy k containers rokny walo or drivers pr tashududh krny walo k khilaf karwai ki jai!!! ek trf american drone k khilaf ahtajaj or dosri trf na maloom afrad k khilaf FIR..:rofl:
Allah Hamy or pory Pakistan ko aisy inqlabio sy bachaye!!! Ameen

I know you are frusterted and dont know what to say or how to say. Bhai saab read articel its not about PTI but i can feel your pain. hahaha

SHER A GIYA NACHO lol

lol... Imran khan playing double game with Potians... ek taraf wo dharna deny ki baty kr raha hy or dosri trf us ka cm janab teeli khattak USAID band hony k dar sy dharny mai shamil nahi!!! ek trf syasat chamkai ja rahi hy or dosri trf dollar kamye jarhy, ek trf karkun truck drivers ko nishana bana rhy hy or dosri trf jnab police ko order diya jraha hy k containers rokny walo or drivers pr tashududh krny walo k khilaf karwai ki jai!!! ek trf american drone k khilaf ahtajaj or dosri trf na maloom afrad k khilaf FIR..:rofl:

"Nawaz is isolated. He hates his party, he has no bureaucrats, his inner circle has shrunk and, for some, there’s no Abbaji around this time. You can’t fix a country if there’s no one you really trust. Especially if you never were the sharpest pencil in the box to begin with."

lol "no Abbaji (Zia) arround this time" ......."Especially if you never were the sharpest pencil in the box to begin with"

BZ8bCKoIIAANS73.jpg:large

Its Drama? Then what you will call following?

:woot:

I know you are frusterted and dont know what to say or how to say. Bhai saab read articel its not about PTI but i can feel your pain. hahaha

SHER A GIYA NACHO lol

"Nawaz is isolated. He hates his party, he has no bureaucrats, his inner circle has shrunk and, for some, there’s no Abbaji around this time. You can’t fix a country if there’s no one you really trust. Especially if you never were the sharpest pencil in the box to begin with."

lol "no Abbaji (Zia) arround this time" ......."Especially if you never were the sharpest pencil in the box to begin with"

lol................... ye show dekh lo
Aapas ki baat (Imran Khan Ka Dharna..Dehshatgardi Ke Nipatne Ka Hal.?? ) – 23rd November 2013

or tujhy kis ny keh diya k nawaz shareef hates his party!!! tum jaisy potians dekh lety hy america kya ukhar lety ho kpk sy NATO band hy lakin balouchistan sy to jari hy :chilli:

Nawaz is isolated. He hates his party, he has no bureaucrats, his inner circle has shrunk and, for some, there’s no Abbaji around this time. You can’t fix a country if there’s no one you really trust. Especially if you never were the sharpest pencil in the box to begin with.

Love the way you make it sound so factual while in actual fact its probably the other way round.
Dont recall Zia or Abbaji being around the last elections to help NS?

SHER A GIYA NACHO lol

Thats the delima Pakistan is facing for last 10 years, this brain drain is really hitting Pakistan very hard now, there are no capable people left in the country and those who are there are only there trying to get out, most have given up on this corrupt system. If you are Celebrating Nawaz Sherif's defeat you better be looking to get out of the country too if there was one party who had some capable people its PMLN if they fail you will be in deep shit, you may have to eat your words with chutney because there will be no more salan.

IF this was any other country and I mean even the shittiest country on the planet then third party people wont be celebrating the failure of one party to get things under control, but regretfully its not any other country, Its Pakistan where enemies are in million within. may your wish come true and PMLN fails miserably but stay here we will celebrate 3rd party turn together, if there was a turn.

I am trying to figure out what is more disgusting, PMLN failing to save Pakistan or PTIans celebrating that PMLN is failing, we really are the dumbest nation on this planet. If I was in Imran's place i will go to NS and ask if there is anything I can do to help not do politics, this is not the time actually that time has passed long ago.

Last edited:
let me tell you one thing, PTI and PMLN and PPP all are paindu parties

choose MQM next time, some educated middle class professional hard working people and not paindu people like shah mehmood qureshi, javed hashmi this paindu that paindu etc

they sell tickets to the highest bidder, they will never choose leadership among the commoners

they are all power hungry they will never deliver as you expect them to

truth is the biggest problem pakistan faces since its creation is the feudal system, and MQM is the only party which speaks against the feudals

they fooled you into thinking that they will make young bright leaders, they asked votes in the name of bullet trains, corruption free in 90 days blah blah blah

all these parties have made fool to you, they promise big and you know they can't deliver anything

try you brains better than emotions next time

I am proud pando which means i am simple man from some village...

We have seen educated ppl of MQM caught by police we are told they have Phd in target killings and bhatta. We have also seen MQM joker leader speaking..... i had to switch of TV so my little boy dont get scared. And we have also seen how educated ppl are sitting like duck while don is talking crap FROM LONDON ON TLF. We have also seen how educated leaders get beaten up on live tv on call from DON

choose MQM next time, some educated middle class professional hard working people and not paindu people like shah mehmood qureshi, javed hashmi this paindu that paindu etc

they sell tickets to the highest bidder, they will never choose leadership among the commoners

truth is the biggest problem pakistan faces since its creation is the feudal system, and MQM is the only party which speaks against the feudals

they fooled you into thinking that they will make young bright leaders, they asked votes in the name of bullet trains, corruption free in 90 days blah blah blah

all these parties have made fool to you, they promise big and you know they can't deliver anything

Wouldlike to comment on the following highlighted parts.
1. Do you even know the meaning of pando parties? PTI has more support in cities then MQM, all over Pakistan. Again i would suggest Pindu parties are better then murderers and bhatta khoor's party.. Ur party has distroyed karachi now u want to distroy who pakistan.

2. ü said "they are all power hungry they will never deliver as you expect them to" .. bhie when you say this please kuch sharam kar layain .. we have seen mqm joining every government and then black mailing every government for ministies ... they even ditched TUQ one day before his march. They blackmailed PPP alot . They joined musharraf for power .. then u tell us that all other parties are power hungry but u arent. shame on u

3. MQM was mahajir qaumi moment. they are party for an ethinic races not for all races of pakistan. they have been involved in killing of other races in karachi .. how can that party be trust with leadership of whole pakistan ... ur leader have 100 murder cases on him .. that is why he cant come back to pakistan . the people like imran farooq who try to leave you, get murdered.. the policemen who do operation against u , they get murdered, army think ur were a terrorist party ..

4. MQM have already broken promises on many occusions. Unless you change ur leadership. get a decent leader who dont sign that pathetically on tv that the whole world is makng fun of him . for MQM to be serious contender stop taking gangsters like nabeel gabool in ur party

I am proud pando which means i am simple man from some village...

We have seen educated ppl of MQM caught by police we are told they have Phd in target killings and bhatta. We have also seen MQM joker leader speaking..... i had to switch of TV so my little boy dont get scared. And we have also seen how educated ppl are sitting like duck while don is talking crap FROM LONDON ON TLF. We have also seen how educated leaders get beaten up on live tv on call from DON

MQM can be a gud party, but their leadership has to be changed and they show denounce voilance use by their party .. most of the bhatta khors and mafias captured in karachi belongs to MQM.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom