What's new

Navy's MIG-29K fighter squadron set to land in Goa

I hope Harriers is retired the moment Viraat is retired. We need to focus on NLCA.

This is a given- when the VIRAAT is gone so will the Harriers. Some are saying the Harriers will be retired and the VIRAAT will go on as a LHD but I don't see this as likely.

This is a given- when the VIRAAT is gone so will the Harriers. Some are saying the Harriers will be retired and the VIRAAT will go on as a LHD but I don't see this as likely.

Chanceless. The hull as well as the ship is too old. Its better retired asap.

what is the diff b/w mig 29k & mig upg ?? are they both carrier based??

MiG-29Ks are Carrier-capable. The Mig-29UPGs are not capable of operating from the Carriers. Hence only land-based for the IAF's fleet.

There are several differences between the IAF UPG and the IN K variant (more than the fact that the K version is a carrier version)

For more info, watch this documentary:
WATCH FROM 26:30

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly, Mig 29K can't be operated from INS Viraat, therefor can't replace the Harrier in their current roles. On the other side, the Harriers could complement the Mig 29K on both coming IN carriers, since they can take off via ski-jump and land vertically.

Do you think IN will hold on to harriers after decommissioning of Virat??? I doubt..... They will serve IN till IAC1 is diployed... which will take another 5 years min

Exactly, Mig 29K can't be operated from INS Viraat, therefor can't replace the Harrier in their current roles. On the other side, the Harriers could complement the Mig 29K on both coming IN carriers, since they can take off via ski-jump and land vertically.

Do you think IN will hold on to harriers after decommissioning of Virat??? I doubt..... They will serve IN till IAC1 is diployed... which will take another 5 years min

There are several differences between the IAF UPG and the IN K variant (more than the fact that the K version is a carrier version)

For more info, watch this documentary:
WATCH FROM 26:30

Very informative documentry... :tup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope Harriers is retired the moment Viraat is retired. We need to focus on NLCA.

If they had some life I wouldn't mind to keep them next to the Migs and focus on a naval AMCA, which is much more useful for us.

Exactly, because both are based on different airframe varients. The Mig 29K is based on the M/2M, which inluded more composites, a bigger internal fuel, a fully integrated refuelling probe and more internal space for avionics and also the RD 33MK engine, while the UPG has only the older RD 33-3 series (less thrust, life and still very smoky).

That mainly depends which vessel they could be used. As I said INS Vikramadithya is one option, IF we go for LHDs with a ski-jump, that could be another one.

I would love to see VTOL MK2 AMCA.What r the chances of that??

We have Harriers as a base for future developments.

I would love to see VTOL MK2 AMCA.What r the chances of that??

We have Harriers as a base for future developments.
Close to zero, because they have several limitations in terms of bring back capability, internal size..., just compare the F35B with the F35C and you will understand why IN wanted arrested landing for their new carriers and if possible even catapult take off.

That mainly depends which vessel they could be used. As I said INS Vikramadithya is one option, IF we go for LHDs with a ski-jump, that could be another one.
With their LUSH upgrade the IN's Sea Harriers are in okay(ish) shape but keeping them around beyond,say, 2017-18 is just not worth it surely. There are,what, 6-8 of them still in operational service? The IN has not further intention to upgrade them beyond what they are now so what is the point in keeping them around any longer when they offer very little advantages other than V/STOL? More than likely they'd just end up taking a few more pilot's lives before it makes no sense to keep a fleet of 1-3 around with all their assorted infrastructure. The IN has clearly stated it has no interests in procuring addtional airframes from anywhere else so what the fleet is today it will always be. If the fleet was, say, 20-40 then yes I'd say keep them around a while but now it just seems pointless- let them retire with some dignity I say.

Back
Top Bottom