What's new

NATO Regrets Pakistan Troop Deaths, Urges Route Reopening

GUNNER

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
NATO Regrets Pakistan Troop Deaths, Urges Route Reopening

BRUSSELS, Oct 4, 2010 (AFP) - NATO chief Anders Fogh Rasmussen urged Pakistan on Monday to reopen a key Afghanistan supply route "as soon as possible" and expressed regret for the deaths of Pakistani troops in a NATO strike.

Pakistan has blocked a land route for NATO convoys carrying supplies to neighbouring Afghanistan since Thursday after officials blamed a cross-border NATO helicopter attack for the deaths of three Pakistani soldiers.

"I expressed my regrets for the incident last week in which Pakistani soldiers lost their lives," Rasmussen told reporters after meeting with Pakistani Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi.

"I expressed condolences to the families. Obviously this incident was unintended," he added.

Rasmussen said NATO and Pakistan needed to "improve" and "step up" cooperation on the Afghan-Pakistani border region to prevent Taliban insurgents from crossing the frontier to attack foreign troops fighting in Afghanistan.

"I expressed hope the border will be open for supplies as soon as possible," he said. "The foreign minister committed himself to work on this."

Rasmussen noted that a joint investigation has been launched.
"We will discuss what happened and draw the right lessons," the NATO chief said.

--------------------------

"I expressed condolences to the families. Obviously this incident was unintended,"

This aint bloody enough. Tell this to their families yourself.

Last edited:
Quoting Asim Aquil:

" Apologies are cheap, blood is not.

We need some sort of state level assurance that attacks in Pakistan would cease".

We need a trial of those who were involved including the pilot, gunner and ground station staff!

Quoting Asim Aquil:

" Apologies are cheap, blood is not.

We need some sort of state level assurance that attacks in Pakistan would cease".

We need a trial of those who were involved including the pilot, gunner and ground station staff!

I dont think Pakistan will get either of these, since its a friendly fire incident that was initiated by the ground fire of Pakistani para military forces. While all this is being done, Pakistan should also prosecute the officer who gave the order for firing on the chopper. He violated Military procedure. You only fire if your warning of turning back is not heeded to. There was no warning in this case..

This is the same Rasmussen who refused to stop the publication of insulting cartoons of our Master Muhammad saw in the Danish Newspapers and refused to apologize to the Muslims after their publication and protests...

All in the name of freedom of expression... Let me take a photograph of me using the Denmark Flag as toilet paper and publish that in the newspaper for freedom of expression...

I think Pakistan should setup a condition for NATO in this war... For every event like that with Pakistani soldiers being killed... Pakistan would demand the culprit NATO soldiers handed over to the military and kil them in retaliation in public...

Fellow members of this forum... Read my words carefully... This is not the first time this has happened and I dont think its the last time... Today it is our Jawans in the FC tomorrow it can be our brothers in the Pakistan military itself... I urge everyone here to push back on this issue because our traitor leaders, fat generals and corrupt administration is going to hide this issue as soon as possible until the next act of savagery takes place from these NATO soldiers...

Is the life of one brave Pakistani soldier just 1 million ?

If you read my posts I have already stated that NATO officers who are involved in such killings should also be executed in return... Eye for an Eye...

Of course not... The life of just one of our soldiers is far greater than all the wealth in the world... but I m talking about the poor soldiers family who are probably left without a bread earner and orphans and widows... plus it would teach NATO not to be trigger happy with Pakistan...

But I dont think the Fat Generals in Pakistan's army... the likes of Busharaf have the guts to demand such a thing... No wonder Americans think Pakistanis will sell their mothers for a cheap price... Thanks to these leaders and Generals, we have to take all this shame upon ourselves...

pakistan should keep as it is only for 3 more weeks and i bet nato and america will regret what they have done ...... our army needs to be bit patience ...

plus i have heard by someone that General Kiyani has called back their army men from the afghan border.........

As far as Soldier's families are concerned..the financial part is not that big of a deal because Pakistan Army takes good care of it's soldiers and their families but you cannot substitute real life with money.We should not over react and stay calm and pay NATO back in the same coin after things cool down and when it's totally unexpected.We should adopt chanakya strategy.We should be smarter then our counterparts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom