What's new

Nano to be launched today!

Europe awaiting Nano car’s electric version

Sandeep Joshi

EU transport policy aims at Co2 emission cut

NEW DELHI: Though the fate of Tata Motors’ Nano plant at Singur in West Bengal still hangs in a limbo, nations around the world still want to see the cheapest car driving on their roads at the earliest; preferably in its battery-operated, environment-friendly version.

“I can say that alike other nations, entire Europe is also eagerly awaiting the commercial launch of Nano. But keeping in mind the adverse impact of carbon dioxide (Co2) on environment, it would be advisable to have Nano’s electric version. I hope Tata (Ratan) is working on it,” said European Commission’s Director General for Energy and Transport Matthias Ruete.
Emission-free transport

Talking to The Hindu during his recent visit to India, where he forged ties for cooperation in the field of energy and transport between the European Union and India, Mr. Ruete said keeping in mind the growing cost of fuel, electric (battery operated) engine was the only solution to emission-free transport.

Informing that European Commission, the executive branch of the European Union, has been working on a sustainable transport policy that aims at reducing of Co2 emissions and transform public transport, Mr. Ruete said decades ago the industry favoured combustion engine over electric engine as the price of fuel was never an issue, but things have changed now.
Moving backwards

“We are now moving backwards. And once we get the right battery technology for our automotive industry, we will be moving back directly to electric cars or indirectly to fuel cells or hydrogen-operated vehicles,” he added.

Predicting that in another 20 years electric cars will enjoy a good share in the market, Mr. Ruete said new efficient trams were being developed.

“I think soon logistics and delivery system in cities would be shifted to electric vehicles. More hi-speed trains would become integral part of public transport. The whole transport industry and businesses are working on developing new fuel-efficient models. We are also working on finding an alternative to kerosene,” he said, underlying the efforts being taken by the EU to reduce emissions.
Intermediate steps

Talking about alternate source of fuel, Mr. Ruete said bio-fuels or other source like CNG or LPG were only intermediate steps that can could work with existing technologies, but more comprehensive solutions were needed.

Stating that there was no necessary link between higher food prices and bio-fuels, though it might have a link in case of corn, Mr. Ruete said EU wanted that land being used for food production should not be used for bio-fuel production.

There is already an electric car in market- i am actually planning ot buy it - will come handy for people to go to local market or just stroll around the neighborhood.

It got everything - from aircon, 2 onboard computers, power gauge , safety features, stero , all for just 350,000 rupees to 400,000 rupees.

Well looks good - but as we all know tata cars, i had a TATA SAFARI - with new engine but it had this vibration and handling wasnt all that easy one more negative about tats is that their car look too much plastic from inside.
Although they are amazing buy you get what you pay for- i think they need to do something about engine refinement.

Well looks good - but as we all know tata cars, i had a TATA SAFARI - with new engine but it had this vibration and handling wasnt all that easy one more negative about tats is that their car look too much plastic from inside.
Although they are amazing buy you get what you pay for- i think they need to do something about engine refinement.

It is for highend market so expect some goodies

brother - tata safari was for 1.2 million rupees , I expect that to be a high amount for an indian car. This will be comign in to - camry , accord , scoda superb class.
They should be comparable to HSV - holden, and i guess i driven both holden and tata, you know the answer who is better. but i expect way better technology and perfroemance from tata - for being an indian car manufacturer. I hope they atleast go a step ahead in performance and refinement.

Do you guys get toyota Vitz/Yaaris over there?

Nope , but i heard they are comign with it -I seriously doubt what will they acheive, their new corolla altis is horrible , for same price i will go for laura or accord

As far as TATA machines are concerned, they are mostly the no - nonsense type. You are right, they are good value for money.

A litmus test for cars is the numbers that run as taxis coz cabbies are very exacting in their usage & rate essential parameters such as maintainability, distance between repairs, mileage etc very high.

Most TATA machines measure well on these.

Nope , but i heard they are comign with it -I seriously doubt what will they acheive, their new corolla altis is horrible , for same price i will go for laura or accord

lol, Ever since toyota vitz is launched...every other car "small cars" have got their sales down...Its beautiful and fully equiped.

I mean it costs around 500,000 and u get air bags, ABS Breaks, Auto mirrors,Auto locks, Lcd, sunroof etc etc. Hence everything that u get in a toyota corolla...

btw I agree, altis sucks....have u guys checked the new model of Honda city?

As far as TATA machines are concerned, they are mostly the no - nonsense type. You are right, they are good value for money.

A litmus test for cars is the numbers that run as taxis coz cabbies are very exacting in their usage & rate essential parameters such as maintainability, distance between repairs, mileage etc very high.

Most TATA machines measure well on these.

dude tata machine are not refined yes they are minimalist in qualifyign to be a car in their respective segmant, thats why i doubt it to be sucess in high end segmant.

lol, Ever since toyota vitz is launched...every other car "small cars" have got their sales down...Its beautiful and fully equiped.

I mean it costs around 500,000 and u get air bags, ABS Breaks, Auto mirrors, locks, Lcd etc etc

well go for - suzuki DEzire - its way better thab toyota vitz - a diffrent segment for same price.:enjoy:

well go for - suzuki DEzire - its way better thab toyota vitz - a diffrent segment for same price.:enjoy:

no suzuki dezire here...rather we get toyota's cuore..which is an ultra small car:P

well in these small segment cars - i dont know why people go for them?? they are so tiny- i am 6'2" tall the roof touches my head, i think these cars are designed for - all the seven dwarf - and this toyota one seem to be desgined for DOPEY!

Back
Top Bottom