What's new

N Korea preparing for fourth nuclear test: South Korea

selvan33

Reaction score
Country
India
N Korea preparing for fourth nuclear test: South Korea

n-korea-preparing-for-fourth-nuclear-test-south.jpg

SEOUL: North Korea appears to be preparing for a fourth nuclear test, South Korea on Monday said, following intelligence reports of heightened activity at its main atomic test site.

"There are such signs," Unification Minister Ryoo Kihl-Jae told a parliamentary committee hearing when lawmakers asked him to confirm the reports.

It was the North's third nuclear test in February and subsequent UN sanctions that kickstarted the cycle of ongoing escalating military tensions that the international community is desperate to break.

The JoongAng Ilbo daily said South Korean intelligence had detected unusually busy personnel and vehicle movements at the North's Punggye-ri nuclear test site since last week.

"We are trying to figure out whether it is a genuine preparation for a nuclear test or just a ploy to heap more pressure on us and the US," it cited an unnamed South Korean government official as saying.

Intelligence reports also suggest Pyongyang has readied two mid-range missiles on mobile launchers on its east coast, and is aiming at a test firing before the April 15 birthday of late founding leader Kim Il-Sung.

A missile launch would be highly provocative, especially given the strong rebuke the North's sole ally China handed it on the weekend and a US concession to delay its own planned missile test.

Kim Jang-Soo, chief national security adviser to President Park Geun-Hye, said a test-launch could come before or after Wednesday, the date by which the North has suggested foreign diplomats consider leaving Pyongyang.

Japan has ordered its armed forces to shoot down any North Korean missile headed towards its territory, a defence ministry spokesman in Tokyo said Monday.

The New York Times reported that the US and South Korea have drawn up plans for a measured tit-for-tat response to North Korean actions, which will be limited in order to prevent an escalation to broader war.

Citing unnamed US officials, the newspaper said the new "counter-provocation" strategy calls for an immediate but proportional "response in kind" if the North decides to launch a missile or ground attack.

North Korea's bellicose rhetoric has reached fever pitch in recent weeks, with near-daily threats of attacks on US military bases and South Korea in response to ongoing South Korea-US military exercises.

There has been growing global concern that the crisis could spiral out of control, and China appeared to respond at the weekend to repeated calls for it to take a harder line with Pyongyang.
N Korea preparing for fourth nuclear test: South Korea - The Economic Times

Why on earth would you conduct a fourth test and dig a deeper hole for yourself.

Why on earth would you conduct a fourth test and dig a deeper hole for yourself.

The hole was dug for them a long time ago. They're gonna take everyone with them thanks to the Americans.

North Korea is crazy. Just showing off so that they can join the nuclear club.. Which they won't.

The hole was dug for them a long time ago. They're gonna take everyone with them thanks to the Americans.

North Korea is a state that was created out of a proxy war between the USA and Russia. China also joined in, to push the Americans out of North Korea (which we did successfully) during the Korean war.

That teaches a very important lesson, never let your country become a battleground for foreign powers.

In fact Iran is currently being punished for just that, for standing on their own and being independent.

Truly These Guys have Balls.... I want to ask one question you all Guys.....

NORKs wanted to a Peace treaty with US and its Partners "No Attack on NK" and it will stop showing all aggression. what happened to that treaty why US and its Partner backed down.

I don't think US will be in front of attacked as always did they will hide in back of south and attack in ground war.

NORKs wanted to a Peace treaty with US and its Partners "No Attack on NK" and it will stop showing all aggression. what happened to that treaty why US and its Partner backed down.

I don't think US will be in front of attacked as always did they will hide in back of south and attack in ground war.

I support such a treating. But the neocons and their military industrial complex won't sign such a treaty as this would remove the most critical reason for arms build up in North East Asia by the US.

Any source providing real details on this 'peace treaty' offered? I suspect there is more than meets the eye.

I'm talking about something more than 'Kim demands peace treaty' or 'Kim offers peace treaty', something with details.

In anycase North Korea has shown itself to be untrustworthy, so any 'peace treaty with them would be worthless paper imho.

Any source providing real details on this 'peace treaty' offered? I suspect there is more than meets the eye.

I'm talking about something more than 'Kim demands peace treaty' or 'Kim offers peace treaty', something with details.

In anycase North Korea has shown itself to be untrustworthy, so any 'peace treaty with them would be worthless paper imho.

It's some mutual understanding treaty (I think I'm wrong)

And yes North Korea is untrustworthy. China does not like it.

Back
Top Bottom