What's new

Must see places in Pakistan

CENTCOM

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
United States
The negative publicity Pakistan often receives overshadows the fact that Pakistan is a beautiful country, and there are so many wonderful places to see. The people of Pakistan are also very hospitable and welcome tourists with open arms.

One of my most favorite places to visit in Pakistan is the city of Lahore. I remember visiting Lahore as a child, and all I have to say is that anyone who has never visited Lahore must make time to travel to the second largest city of Pakistan. Lahore offers a rich and fabulous history of over thousand years and showcases some of the finest architectural structures and monuments of all time. The crowded streets immediately remind you that you have entered inside a mega city. While the population of the city is over 10 million, it is easy to find sanctuary from all the traffic in the numerous shops and cafés where one can get more gently wrapped into the culture. I would hear people say that Lahore never sleeps, and you get that sense when you see high traffic throughout the city at midnight.

If you’re going to Lahore then you have to visit Badshahi Mosque, which is about 342 years old, and the mosque has the capacity of accommodating 55,000 worshippers. In Pakistan, this makes it the second biggest mosque in terms of capacity, after Islamabad’s Faisal Mosque. Badshahi mosque is one of the few significant architectural monuments built during Emperor Aurangzeb's long rule from 1658 to 1707. One must also visit Minar-e-Pakistan and dine at Fort Road Food Street. The food there is just amazing, and you can find just about anything. I highly recommend trying paya and nihari. You can see that the food vendors take a lot of pride in preparing the dishes. I know there is so much more to do and see, but you must include these places on your list. Even though it has been years since I last visited Lahore, I still remember it as if it was yesterday. One of my best memories in Lahore includes having dinner at the famous Fort Road Food Street. Fort Road Food Street is the ultimate place for hungry tourists or locals who want to relax and have food while enjoying a beautiful view of the Badshahi Mosque. The street was bustling with street performances by talented musicians dressed in colorful attires, playing both modern and traditional music. It really has a beautiful ambience that will make any visitor fall in love with this place. I must also mention the lovely surroundings including the Roshnai Gate and ancient Lahore. Some of the other places I highly recommend: Lahore Fort-Shahi Qila, Shalimar Bagh (Shalimar Gardens), Anarkali Bazaar and Gulshan-e-Iqbal Park.

I really hope that day is not far when people no longer feel that Pakistan is an unsafe place to visit. And while there is so much to see in Pakistan, I really hope the beautiful and amazing city of Lahore sits on top of the list of must see place in Pakistan.

Please feel free to highlight some of the other must see places in Lahore or anywhere else in Pakistan.

Ali Khan

Digital Engagement Team, USCENTCOM

Lahore is indeed a great city. It is sad that many people don't feel Pakistan is safe to visit and our tourism industry is suffering. Thanks Centcom for bringing attention towards something positive. I don't live in lahore but been there many times. I love food Street!

Well nice article , Pakistan is actually quite safe place as there a are millions that wake up and go to work each day and million have been living there since god knows when.

I think there is a lot of negativity in USA around Pakistan Travel , however a general Pakistani in Big cities do not experiences that much , and media obviously presents one view

Most recently there was even talk of restarting Cricket in Pakistan by cricketing delegations

You are in good placein USA you should perhaps make plans to visit Pakistan and enjoy the views again , its quite safe now a days thanks to the Ranger's operations

And by all means if you know any good inside grants or projects coming Pakistan's way do share some good news

Always great to hear about positive economic projects and cooperation between Pakistan and US

I think real Pakistan is its Villages and country side or Remote areas no doubt

The cities are great however you have not seen Pakistan unless you drive the long trips city to city (Obviously with local families etc ) some wonderful images one sees in road trips

Lahore is just the Tip of the Iceberg ... & in some cases i meant it literary ... if u want to claim "MUST SEE" of Pakistan .. I would suggest some of the following ..

Five of World Highest 14 Peaks (26,000+ Feet) are situated in Pakistan .. (K2, Nanga Parbat, GI, Broad Peak, GII)

It has the world's longest glacial system outside the polar regions (Biafo-Hispar Glaciar).

Needless to mention More than Not Longest Glaciers are situated in Pakistan (Siachin, Biafo, baltoro, Batura, etc etc.)

Deosai Plain is one of the Highest , In fact Next highest Plain after Tibet, Much Greener for 3-5 Months while Covered in Ice Sheet for rest of the Year ..

Valleys (Kaghan, naran, Shundoor, Chitral, Swat,)
Lakes (Sheosar, Rama, Saiful malook, Rama, Kachura)
Hundreds of 6,000-7,000 Meter+ Peaks, & much Much more ...

If U r into Culture, Religion & history .. thn thr is Moen-jo-Daro, Harrapa, Gandhara civilization Remains,

Gilgit & near by Area have Oldest of Buddhist statues, & several pre-historic Wall carvings.
Visit Nankana Sahab for Sikh Festivals every year
For Hindu Temple i would Suggest to visit Katsaraj Temple (it is said it is here since mahabarta times)
Needles to say Hundreds & thousaqnds of Mosques, Monuments, mazar across Pakistan.

Most overrated travel destination : Murree
Most Underrated travel destination : Gilgit baltistan
Best City : Lahore
Best archaeological site : Mohenjadaro

Next big things on Pakistan's tourist map

1. Kumrat Valley Swat
2. Makran coastal highway

He remember being in Lahore as a child and visiting the food street :angel:
Considering the age of food street and considering the sanctions US had on Pakistan till 2002-2003, I assume he must be talking of period 2005-2006 and he is broadcasting here from about 5-6years... I wonder at what age CENTCOM hired him. don't you think its confusing enough? better to ask for clarification.

He remember being in Lahore as a child and visiting the food street :angel:
Considering the age of food street and considering the sanctions US had on Pakistan till 2002-2003, I assume he must be talking of period 2005-2006 and he is broadcasting here from about 5-6years... I wonder at what age CENTCOM hired him. don't you think its confusing enough? better to ask for clarification.
his post had looked so funny , looked like a childs account ' aik dafa may bhi bazar gaya tha may nay wahan yeh dekha woh dekha'

Last edited:
While we are on the subject, I found a few lakes worth visiting

Top 5 Most Beautiful Lakes in Pakistan

I would like to make it Top - 6 with RAMA Lake coming around # 4 or 5 ....

I have seen Many lakes in the region (including 3 of the 5 Mentioned) indeed super hard to Settle the the Top Ones .. Depends on lots of factors & individual Liking .. but RAMA Lake should make into any top list for Lakes .... May be the Lake itself won't attract too many people (which it should) ... but the Trek in itself .. the Astore Valley, the Rama Meadows ... the Snow Sliding down to the foot of the Hills from top of the Mountains .. and Above All the Mighty Nanaga Parbat View in the Back ground .... AMAZING ... :')

Following is the Trek .. Pic Taken by Yours Truly .. jun-14

Rama - 4 (2).jpg

Camping At Rama Meadows . You Are Seeing North Face Of Nanga Parbat The Killer Mountain's Ridge (8,126m) In Background

PC: SM BUkhari Shot Was Take In Summer Night With Clear Sky When People Were Enjoying Bonfire

Rama - 1 (2).jpg
Rama - 2 (2).jpg
Rama - 3 (2).jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom