What's new

Muslim keeper of ancient temples

Ganguly

BANNED
Reaction score
West Bengal: Muslim keeper of ancient temples

Kolkata: While the country is waiting for the Ayodhya verdict, a Muslim in West Bengal has made it his life's mission to protect a group of 30 medieval temples.

Yasin Pathan is at one of his beloved temples at Patra village in West Midnapore. A peon at a local school, he devoted all his spare time, since 1971, to protect this cluster of 34 temples that are at least 300-years-old.

Pathan says that most Hindus, Muslims and Adivasis of the village want him to work with the temples. However, there are some Hindu and Muslim fundamental elements who say leave the temples alone, go away. But I have not succumbed.

Pathan's unique mission earned him the President's Kabir Award for communal harmony in 1994. Little else, though. Today, he's been diagnosed with cardiac trouble but has no money for treatment.

But nothing can take away his sense of achievement. In 2003, at Pathan's persuasion, the Archeological Survey of India took over the temples and recently sanctioned Rs. four and a half crores for his beloved monuments.

Like everyone else, Yasin is waiting for the Ayodhya verdict with some trepidation and hopes that peace will prevail.

He says, "I request all Hindus and Muslim brothers to accept the verdict and to preserve the brotherhood that we have in India. There shouldn't be any trouble. :cheers:

Shows the vast contrast of how a Muslim has protected these temples of the hindus in the same country where the famous Babri Masjid was demolished by the Hindus terrorists.

Shows the vast contrast of how a Muslim has protected these temples of the hindus in the same country where the famous Babri Masjid was demolished by the Hindus terrorists.

Hindus line up at all Dargahs in India too, and indeed atleast my grandma visits the masjid at mahim, mumbai regularly. On the other hand, I'm sure many temple destroyers from history YOU consider your heroes :)

So you choose to conclude what you WANT to conclude, and we Indians will conclude what WE want to conclude. After all, we are two different people on two different paths. Why compare?

Grow up. In our country we respect all religions.
Remembering Babri Masjid | Indian Muslims

"Speaking to many people on this issue this week, I was struck by something unusual. The lack of blame. Did Muslims blame the Hindus for the demolition. No, said the ones I spoke to, it was a momentary fanaticism. Even Hindus who recalled their support of the issue at the time admitted to a feeling of dismay, shame and disbelief that they could have ever been involved in this. “Just goes to show how easily people are misled,” they say, shaking their heads, as if to shake of the memories of their naivete.

To me, its all still surreal. Half a lifetime ago, on a different planet. Not my India."

Indeed a very noble and secular gesture... I am sure there are a lot of other people in our country who have the same beliefs as this guy. This is the real spirit of the country that I can call my own.

West Bengal: Muslim keeper of ancient temples

Kolkata: While the country is waiting for the Ayodhya verdict, a Muslim in West Bengal has made it his life's mission to protect a group of 30 medieval temples.

Yasin Pathan is at one of his beloved temples at Patra village in West Midnapore. A peon at a local school, he devoted all his spare time, since 1971, to protect this cluster of 34 temples that are at least 300-years-old.

Pathan says that most Hindus, Muslims and Adivasis of the village want him to work with the temples. However, there are some Hindu and Muslim fundamental elements who say leave the temples alone, go away. But I have not succumbed.

Pathan's unique mission earned him the President's Kabir Award for communal harmony in 1994. Little else, though. Today, he's been diagnosed with cardiac trouble but has no money for treatment.

But nothing can take away his sense of achievement. In 2003, at Pathan's persuasion, the Archeological Survey of India took over the temples and recently sanctioned Rs. four and a half crores for his beloved monuments.

Like everyone else, Yasin is waiting for the Ayodhya verdict with some trepidation and hopes that peace will prevail.

He says, "I request all Hindus and Muslim brothers to accept the verdict and to preserve the brotherhood that we have in India. There shouldn't be any trouble. :cheers:

Hindu muslim brotherhood........remember Gujrat killings

Hindus line up at all Dargahs in India too, and indeed atleast my grandma visits the masjid at mahim, mumbai regularly. On the other hand, I'm sure many temple destroyers from history YOU consider your heroes :)

So you choose to conclude what you WANT to conclude, and we Indians will conclude what WE want to conclude. After all, we are two different people on two different paths. Why compare?

the topic is how many muslims in the present india destroyed temples and how many hindus destroyed historic masjids??

the topic is how many muslims in the present india destroyed temples and how many hindus destroyed historic masjids??

what is your count? Babri masjid , there were hindu prayers happening inside the structure when it was demolished... there was no namaz appx. for 50 years.

learn about the issue fully well before jumping like a Jack-Wagon.

What? troll in the very second post of the thread..

what is your count? Babri masjid , there were hindu prayers happening inside the structure when it was demolished... there was no namaz appx. for 50 years.

huh, if hindu prayer was happening in the mosque, so it was right to demolish an ancient historic building???

if by any mistake a muslim prayer is held inside a historic temple, does it need to be demolished??

huh, if hindu prayer was happening in the mosque, so it was right to demolish an ancient historic building???

if by any mistake a muslim prayer is held inside a historic temple, does it need to be demolished??

Man I am really tired of this hindu muslim bickering.Just give it a break, will you:undecided:

Last edited:

there are many historic temples that were destroyed thanks to the Babars, Ghori, Ghanzanis and innumerable muslim invaders. That is a fact.

there are many historic temples that were destroyed thanks to the Babars, Ghori, Ghanzanis and innumerable muslim invaders. That is a fact.

It was done in different context we cannot blame them we are their followers but you can see

Temples in Lahore​

Pakistani Hindus spray colors onto each another to celebrate Holi festival, Saturday in Lahore, Pakistan. Holi, the Hindu festival of colors, also heralds the coming of spring.​

YouTube - Lahore, Lord Krishna temple, Murti Sathapna, Pakistan!

Last edited by a moderator:

I completely agree Fateh....

The Mahim Dargah, the mosoleum for Fakhruddin baba in Mahim, Haji Ali, Mount Mary, Lady Novino are places I personally visit when I go back home.....an act of faith that my family has been following since we moved to Mumbai....

Similarly, every Tuesday, scores of Muslim followers walk to Siddivinayak barefoot to get blessings from Lord Ganesha....

This is why I love my Mumbai!

Its only when we can respect each others faith that we as Hindus and Muslims can live in harmony....
This man is a prime example of the same! Hats off to you Sir!

Back
Top Bottom