Musharraf to quit army this month

EagleEyes

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan leader to quit army this monthBy ZARAR KHAN, Associated Press Writer
12 minutes ago

RAWALPINDI, Pakistan - President Gen. Pervez Musharraf said Wednesday he expects to step down as army chief by the end of November and begin a new presidential term as a civilian, warning that Pakistan risked chaos if he gave into opposition demands to resign.

In an interview with The Associated Press, he accused former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto, currently under house arrest, of fueling political turmoil and rejected Western pressure to quickly lift emergency rule, which he indicated was likely to continue through the January elections.

"All those who are blunt enough to tell me to my face what the reality is, all of them think, yes, it will lead the country to chaos if I do not handle the political environment now with me remaining as the president," he said at his army office.

The U.S.-backed general had originally planned to quit as chief of the powerful army by Thursday, when his presidential mandate and the term of the current parliament expire, but he said he was forced to delay the restoration of civilian rule until a court ruling on his recent re-election.

He said the exact timing would depend on the Supreme Court — which he purged of independent-minded judges when he suspended the constitution on Nov. 3 — but expected it to happen within this month.

The U.S. and other Western allies have been pushing for him to quit his military post and end the emergency, warning that it could seriously undermine the legitimacy of the elections that are meant to end eight years of direct military rule since he took power in a coup.

Washington wants Musharraf to share power with other moderate forces to combat rising Islamic extremism that the general cited as the justification for seizing emergency powers.

Pakistan leader to quit army this month - Yahoo! News

Real talk - The man is smart as heck. Emergency proved to be quite effective. What do you guys think?

this is not a new story...he makes such claims many times before but nothing happened.

this is not a new story...he makes such claims many times before but nothing happened.
Parliament is dissolving tomorrow.

Musharraf stage 3 seems to be going ok.

The only cringing thing about it all is his equation with Benazir.

lets seeeeeeee....May Allah bless us all.....

BB can run. I don't care as long as the two term rule remains, which Musharraf has mentioned in his recent interviews as being a reason why the press should stop talking of her as the "future PM". I don't see her amending the constitution in her favor as long as Musharaf remains president, because that would ensure a significant number of seats for the PML-Q and MQM, neither of which will accommodate BB on that issue.

Beyond that, if she wants to support a repeal of Hudood, inclusion of FATA in electoral process, womens and minority rights and moderation of society in general - good, Musharraf should take her up on those issues.

I might not be following you AM, but Hudood has been repealed, or amended, however you want to looks at it..

I was speaking rhetorically RR - just suggesting that there is no harm going along with her party if she wants to advocate for moderation (hudood just being an example - and point taken about it being amended), as long as she doesn't become PM.

BB can run. I don't care as long as the two term rule remains, which Musharraf has mentioned in his recent interviews as being a reason why the press should stop talking of her as the "future PM". I don't see her amending the constitution in her favor as long as Musharaf remains president, because that would ensure a significant number of seats for the PML-Q and MQM, neither of which will accommodate BB on that issue.

Beyond that, if she wants to support a repeal of Hudood, inclusion of FATA in electoral process, womens and minority rights and moderation of society in general - good, Musharraf should take her up on those issues.

Before he takes her on these things US is now bent upon removing Musharraf.
He is proving a big hindernce in US way of new schemes of things.

BB had already assured US of her support on all fronts.

Guys we need to get united and raise a united voice for saving our country.

as far BB ammending the constitution to pave her way for becoming PM guess what it seemes difficult thats why she had yesterday said she would boycott elections.
Despite US pressure and immense support BB could not get the kinds of publicity, pluse her changing stance on deal with Muhsarraf and Nawaz Sharif had clarified it all she is struggling for getting into power.

Before he takes her on these things US is now bent upon removing Musharraf.
He is proving a big hindernce in US way of new schemes of things.

BB had already assured US of her support on all fronts.

Guys we need to get united and raise a united voice for saving our country.

as far BB ammending the constitution to pave her way for becoming PM guess what it seemes difficult thats why she had yesterday said she would boycott elections.
Despite US pressure and immense support BB could not get the kinds of publicity, pluse her changing stance on deal with Muhsarraf and Nawaz Sharif had clarified it all she is struggling for getting into power.

Very true - the 2 term rule may be one significant way to get leadership of these parties out of the hands of these "cult personalities". If BB cannot serve as PM, her aura will be diluted, and she will eventually have to decide on who will be the choice for PM for her party. Such a move would catapult that individual into the limelight, thereby overshadowing her. Considering her reaction to Aitzaz Ahsan's popularity, she may prefer exile to that. NS is not far behind on that count.

The two of them might as well be medieval monarchs- seeing as to how they consider ruling Pakistan "their destiny".

The President has to approve any changes to the constitution doesn't he. Hope I'm right. IF she somehow managed to get the 2/3 majority and voted for an abolishment of the two term rule, wouldn't it then go to the President for approval?

Also there are going to be many amazed people when Musharraf leaves the army soon (hope the SC rules very soon in his favour to remain President), because the emergency will still be in force. They are going to wonder how is this possible, failing to realise that the President has the power to impose an emergency as opposed to him being Army Chief.

I was surfing various blogs, and I found it interesting that even on the more "anti Musharraf" sites - like Pakistaniat etc - a lot of people are starting to criticize the US. It seems quite a few people are worried that this campaign in the Western media bears similarities to the run up of the Iraq war, and though no one is expecting the US to invade Pakistan, people are concerned as to what the true intentions of the US are.

Keep it up!

Back
Top Bottom