What's new

Musharraf, The Only Hope for Pakistan

Musharraf made mistakes -- like all our leaders starting right from Liaquat A. Khan to today' stalwarts. This is true for leaders of most of the world’s democracies as well as dictatorships.

The point to note is the lot of the common man in Pakistan during the earlier regimes and today. If Fasih Sahib can compare them than we can go forward from there - otherwise we can all exchange sharp notes and get no where. The best way to do this is to compare Key Economic Indicators (As prescribed by UNDP/WB/IMF etc.) then and now; in the light of world oil prices, than and now.

As far as the WOT is concerned - be realistic, the day after 9/11 was anyone's guess as to what US was going to do – we focus on WTC – we discount the attack on Pentagon – the mood was all there to teach the perpetrators and their supporters a lesson including the nuke option – by the fanatics in their military and administration. Asking anyone and I mean right from the Saudi King to the Chinese Premier, at that point in time, to negotiate or dilly dally on any request or for that matter ultimatums from US was really not an option. The possible cost of playing a brinkmanship game with US at that point in time was just colossal for Pakistan or any other country.

Furthermore, we need to look at Pakistan's position both economically, militarily and the state of our relationship within the Muslim Ummah, our immediate neighbors, and the larger world community. I think all these equations were worked out and the best possible course of action was taken based upon all the options open to Pakistan at that time.

It is very easy for us to comment on this today as we have the luxury of twenty- twenty hindsight.

Need to repackage the product for it to sell. Maybe the need is there to co-brand it with PTI and other non-jagirdari elements for it be put on the store shelf.

To my wonder

Nothing to wonder about! After all he is Delhite by birth ;)
BTW his image in India is not as bad as its made out to be.. He may be Kargil culprit but no body sees him as a extremist supporter.

Musharraf made mistakes -- like all our leaders starting right from Liaquat A. Khan to today' stalwarts. This is true for leaders of most of the world’s democracies as well as dictatorships.

The point to note is the lot of the common man in Pakistan during the earlier regimes and today. If Fasih Sahib can compare them than we can go forward from there - otherwise we can all exchange sharp notes and get no where. The best way to do this is to compare Key Economic Indicators (As prescribed by UNDP/WB/IMF etc.) then and now; in the light of world oil prices, than and now.

As far as the WOT is concerned - be realistic, the day after 9/11 was anyone's guess as to what US was going to do – we focus on WTC – we discount the attack on Pentagon – the mood was all there to teach the perpetrators and their supporters a lesson including the nuke option – by the fanatics in their military and administration. Asking anyone and I mean right from the Saudi King to the Chinese Premier, at that point in time, to negotiate or dilly dally on any request or for that matter ultimatums from US was really not an option. The possible cost of playing a brinkmanship game with US at that point in time was just colossal for Pakistan or any other country.

Furthermore, we need to look at Pakistan's position both economically, militarily and the state of our relationship within the Muslim Ummah, our immediate neighbors, and the larger world community. I think all these equations were worked out and the best possible course of action was taken based upon all the options open to Pakistan at that time.

It is very easy for us to comment on this today as we have the luxury of twenty- twenty hindsight.
I would love to see APML working with PTI... My problem with imran khan is that i see him always crying that nawaz is bad! zardari is bad mma is bad MQM is bad Musharraf is bad army is bad!which i agree that nawaz and co and zardari and co are definatly bad but his support for some rotten apples is dangerous! Imran khan always complain and point out who is bad but fact is that Pakistan already know this! I have never heard any solution from Imran khan not even once and i have searched enough but if you have any video where he has given solution of our one current problem then please post it! He has never told us that how we can eliminate terrorism! how we will fix economy! how we will modernizes our military! how we will over come challenges? His answer to all this is ELECT ME AND ILL FIX IT! but how? Didn't we hear the same rubbish from nawaz and bb before! they said If Musharraf is out of power then everything will be fixed! then later they said when he will leave country or earth world will be better place! but it seem opposite way! Imran answer to WOT is that abandon this war and show middle finger to USA and west and they will respect us!Talk to talibans instead of fighting and things will be better! where as we have seen the experiment of peace talks with talibans from 2002-2006 in the end we lost over 290 MALIKS we lost tribal belt to terrorist since original leaders were killed by talibans! and in the end swat was lost! Musharraf has done three peace deals with talibans but nothing worked! now army is working Strictly on Musharraf policy or GHQ policy and we are seeing good results! As far as showing middle finger to USA/WEST is concerned well there he is a mad man! We live in globalization world, Everyone knows on this forum and i'm sure all members has grown up that we can take the battle to USA/WEST in siding talibans or afghans who hate us! If we will block NATO supply we go bank corrupt! we lose all the military deals! we face isolation which we can't afford when our opponent is growing at 6%... back in the days it worked since if we were behind then they were behind too! but today if we play like before, in couple of months we will lose the race for good! now what is the solution? in 1999 Pakistan was left with 400 million in FR but if was leadership of Musharraf which got us to 17,500 million of FR. it was Musharraf who despite all the corrupting managed to put Pakistan into N11 countries and kept our GDP at 7-8%... In my view! Leader is the one who can move country regardless of having all the difficulty move country forward and put it on right track! which Musharraf did, now we have a guy who proved himself as good leader and indeed he had some short comings but over all he was way democratic person then ever we have seen in our history! If and When we elect him back! We will have more control over him! he will be more depending on us then ever any other leader can! Since once he get into power he will want to get elected through elections and by people support! We have seen that he has balls to conduct free and fair election at least fair enough where he will lose lol... He should be elected and PTI should work with him like true brothers where both can lead country to the best position this country deserve! PTI concentrating more in domestic issues and APML working on international and business and trade issue! reason i like Musharraf is that once 911 happen we were no where in a position to confront west or mighty USA of that time! because we were lacking badly fighter jets, tanks navy etc but this guy actually addressed all the issues. because of his right policies and effort of his government we have JF17 project finished and we were in a position to reject rest of f16 deal from USA and have our own babies, we have Al Khalid al zarar, finished programs! we have subs on work, we have better missile technology, better range! I remember in his time we were talking of going to space lol im sure you all know what it mean by space icbm, now what are we doing? not even testing new missiles :disagree: my choice is Musharraf. A democratically elected Musharraf who is accountable to public, i mean a guy who was a dictator for many, had him face to face with public which none other in power leader has done in Pakistan, I'm sure he will be more easily accountable to us then any other person since we have experiance of him and we know him. unlike others which we don't know and sad part is that we don't have more time to put Pakistan to another test of another leader! We just can't afford it :china::pakistan::usflag::police:

My friend rebuilding starts from unity of unlikely partners. This is the first indication that people are thinking beyond their own petty interest in a greater cause -- the cause of Pakistan.

I can only hope and pray that the common moot points between IK & PM should be basis of a patch up for the greater good. Their country requires that both of them stand up and think beyond their own self interests.

Just a prayer!!!!

Pakistan needs him back i sure hope he come back some how some way he was the best pres for Pakistan things were so good when he was in power shame to see that haters of Pakistan wanted him out of power.

Electing Musharraf would be as if the post World War 2 German Jews reelected Hitler because he said he made a few mistakes and said he wouldnt do it again. Pakistani government will become a mockery, we would be the first people to elected someone who was previously a dictator. The fact is he knowingly made these so called "mistakes" when the entire world was telling him what he was doing was not good.

He sold Pakistani people much like slaves for as little as $2000, he went against the constitution. Imprisoned the chief Justice, who hadn't committed a crime (notice the irony?). Dictators should never be trusted this is how they all came in power, Hitler sweet talked his way into the government but it was when he had his power that we found out about the real Hitler.

Let me give you an example, that can be found in many real world historical accounts. Poor people are generally humble and nice, but looking at rich people its rare to find such characteristics, even though some rich people were previously poor and humble. The point I'm trying to make is, he acts like this because he doesn't have what he wants, as soon as he does he will turn be to the real him, one which we have already seen.

Much like Nawaz Sharif, Nawaz Sharif said he was sorry for his acts and would change upon returning. After returning he had a large number of people that supported him, much like the numbers Musharraf needs. Yet today we see the Sharif brothers as one of the most corrupt people in Pakistan, they even helped free a US contractor who was committing crimes and carrying around unlicensed guns, they only act like they do so they can once again act like they want to.

The only person who is actually saying good things and has only carried out only good actions towards Pakistan, is Imran Khan. If you think about it he is what Pakistan needs, and everyone sees that, but we don't know if he will continue to act the same, we can only hope that he continues to act the does way he does and carries out actions similar like making a free cancer treatment hospital, or establishing an internationally recognized University, to truly save Pakistan.

In a sense Imran Khan was once everything he wanted to be and had everything he wanted, when Pakistan won against the world in cricket, it was he who presented Pakistan as a glorious country, when he won and connected his success with his country, and it is Imran Khan who still portrays Pakistan as a glorious country when visiting foreign countries. He has more respect than any other Pakistani politician in the eyes of people around the world and in Pakistan. Then tell me who better to change the image of Pakistan to a positive one, a dictator, or a democratic politician who's done it before?

There are only two types of governments in Pakistan: those who have r ape d the country and those who are waiting their turn.

I am not a fan of Musharraf, but even if I was to overlook all his political blunders, and somehow miraculously admire him as as much as Fasih Khan does, I would still not be able to root for him.

The reason is not his past but his present. Musharraf, is a pro-establishment and a pro status-quo leader. His willingness and eagerness to still work with the very people he despises, under the guise of APML, points to that fact. Anyone can walk through the corridors of power, with the help and backing of the establishment, but once you sell your soul to the devil, you are merely a puppet. How will Musharraf end corruption, when he is in alliance with the same people who support and nurture it? How will he present and manage a sovereign and Pro-Pakistan foreign policy, when he has allies whose most holy site is not the Kaaba but the White House?

He was able to achieve some feats in the past only because he had control over all the stakeholders who manipulate the course of Pakistani politics. He was the judge, the jury and the prosecution. As a civilian PM, he will not have the same luxury, and as he plans to zoom into the power riding the wave of establishment,he will be at their mercy. Whenever he goes out of the line, the establishment will simply take away his crutches, leaving Musharraf politically handicapped.

One last thing, if the Army supported Musharraf, he would have been in Pakistan a long time back. The quagmire that the PPP led government is in, presents a perfect opportunity for the Army to install their man in the power. Musharraf, would have been the PM by now if he had the support of the Army, instead the rumors are that Imran Khan is to be the PM of a nationally backed government. The only problem is that Imran Khan refuses to head a pro status-quo government unlike Musharraf.

Last edited:
Why I Miss Musharraf

January 13, 2010

Tuesday, January 06, 2009 (Part-I)
Salman K Chima

When General Musharraf seized power, I was not among those who welcomed him – although with Justice Tarrar as the President and Shariat Amendment Bill to the Constitution awaiting approval by the Senate, Pakistan was on the verge of being a theocratic state. Why did I oppose Musharraf? Because his rule was undemocratic and unconstitutional.

Yet, today I willingly acknowledge Musharraf. The choice of his successor in the Presidency is reason enough to remember him. But I praise him for the freedom Pakistan breathed under him; for the fact that he did not feel entitled to extra reward for his services. Even his worst detractors do not accuse him of personal corruption. This in a country where rulers have chosen to place their hard earned money in Swiss accounts.

Despite my initial opposition, I would have set the following agenda for the general:

1 . Cleanse the army of the jihadi elements inducted by General Zia.

2. Free the media.

3. Initiate meaningful steps to emancipate women.

4. Bring the minorities into the mainstream of politics.

5. Implement balanced and across the board accountability.

Before we address whether the general delivered, there is an important preliminary matter that needs to be sorted out.

My initial opposition to Musharraf was based on his takeover being unconstitutional and undemocratic. These are of course compelling arguments to oppose a regime, but one must not forget that even Adolph Hitler was popularly elected and had a constitution of sorts. So there is surely a higher principle by which to judge a government – constitution and democracy cannot be the decisive benchmarks.

The decisive benchmark to me is the freedom a regime is prepared to extend to its subjects. Constitutions and democracies represent good forms of government only insofar as they are able to preserve the inherent right of all citizens to be free.

It is against this yardstick that 19th century America fails; as does Hitler’s Third Reich – despite being blessed with constitutional and democratic rule. Paradoxically, it is against this higher principle that Musharraf wins.

Reverting to his performance, my first agenda point was the cleansing of the Pakistan Army of jihadi elements. While the ‘war on terror’ was not visible in 1999, however Pakistanis were acutely aware of the growing Talibanisation around them. The Taliban were ruling Afghanistan and one could predict that a war would have to be fought with their way of thinking within Pakistan.

This war against Talibanisation could scarcely be fought without Pakistan Army. It is also axiomatic that the Pakistan Army inherited from General Zia and his successors was ill equipped to fight this war. So, the first agenda item: to rinse out the Taliban elements from the institution. This may sound an easy task, but remember that the generals who brought Musharraf to power were differently inclined.

Was the task accomplished? Consider: From the first day of Musharraf’s rule, General Hameed Gul has been his most vocal critic. Could this be attributed to Gul’s love for democracy and constitution or simply resentment at the restructuring of Pakistan Army — contrary to Gul’s desire? Could the present fighting in Bajaur and elsewhere have been possible without deep structural changes in the army? Do not the terrorist attacks afflicting Pakistan indicate the Taliban elements are no longer reacting to Musharraf but to the restructuring put in place by him? The profile of the Pakistan Army’s top leadership has been reformed in the last nine years but, the restructuring has virtually gone unappreciated since it took shape away from public eye.

Moving on to freedom of media, one should not have to recount evidence to establish how truly free media was under Musharraf. So let me address some unfair commentaries offered by the General’s critics. First, that he did not have a choice; with the advent of satellite TV (which can be beamed from outside the jurisdiction) Musharraf could not have shielded himself from media scrutiny. True, but why is the same freedom not witnessed in Singapore, Malaysia, Myanmar, Iran etc. The government has many ways of curbing media freedom, for instance, not only is the government an important client of all the media houses in terms of advertisement but also runs its own TV channels which can make lucrative offers to the more vocal critics.

Second, the aftermath of Nov 3, 2007: Critics allege if Musharraf believed in media freedom, he would not have curbed it after Nov 3. The argument is fair, but needs to be put in perspective. The period between November 3 and 13, 2007 is admittedly the ‘darkest period’ of Musharraf’s regime from the media freedom perspective. It would perhaps be unfair to judge Musharraf by reference to this period alone.

But how bad was this period really? Let us do a litmus test. Pick a day and newspaper of our choice during this period. Go through this newspaper and select one article which we feel is most critical of Musharraf. Now go through every publication in Pakistan between August 14, 1947 and October 12, 1999 to ascertain how many articles in this period match up to the one we just identified. What are the odds we will find even one?! Does that tell us something about Musharraf’s ‘darkest period’?

Coming next to emancipation of women, unlike media freedom it must be acknowledged that this did not witness any giant leaps during Musharraf’s time. But this task is going to require many generations – such being the state of affairs. Yet, one was entitled to ask for some acts (even if symbolic) to set the direction right. It is in this perspective that the following steps may be recounted.

There was a substantial increase in women’s representation in the assemblies. Women not only add value in the assemblies but also their representation gradually changes the society’s mindset. The ‘Sword of Honor’ was awarded by the Pakistan Air Force Academy to a lady cadet. The Women’s Protection Act – a long overdue amendment to soften a retrogressive law legislated by Zia- was passed as well.

One does regret the General’s statement before the American press regarding Mukhtar Mai case. But even here one must not be cruel in judging him.

A detailed study of the LHC judgement reveals that there is indeed another side to the story: Mukhtar Mai may have willingly married the main accused. She at least admitted before the court that she would have been prepared to marry him, in exchange for the main accused’s sister marrying her own brother. According to the defense version, this is exactly what happened and she only recorded the FIR once the main accused’s sister (contrary to the agreement) was married to someone else. The record also shows that no visible injuries (except a relatively minor abrasion) were seen on Mukhtar Mai during medical examination – which took place about eight days after the alleged incident. Mukhtar Mai also admitted that the accused were financially weaker than her own family. Fortunately the matter is before the Supreme Court, and they will put this controversy to rest.

Was not Musharraf advised that the defence version was not entirely baseless? As the country’s president, he may have felt agitated by the adverse publicity this case was getting outside Pakistan.

The next agenda point, the minorities: They have been relegated to second class citizenship, particularly since the times of General Zia. Musharraf introduced joint and yet separate electorates for minorities – giving them two votes, one in the general election and one for their own reserved seats. However, after the 17th Amendment, the minorities now only vote in the general election, and their reserved seats are filled by political parties according to their representation in the assembly.

Minorities are also particularly hard done by the Blasphemy Law. A person convicted of blasphemy must suffer (often the death penalty) because he has hurt the deepest feelings of the Muslim majority. But how can people’s feelings take priority over a man’s right to life or liberty. Musharraf only considered amending the procedural aspects of the law. He backtracked but only a person with the right orientation would even begin to conceive such a move. The other mentionable change (though subsequently reversed) was the removal of the religious column on the passport. He backtracked on this – but who else even made an effort.

Source: http://www.thenews.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=155762

Part II
Monday, January 12, 2009
by Salman K Chima

Coming then to the next point, accountability: Here the General’s performance was disappointing. The National Reconciliation Ordinance is a grotesque law. It is indeed difficult to find any redeeming feature in the NRO. However, attention must be drawn to the fact that the protection offered by the NRO extends only up to October 12, 1999. The General did not seek to protect his own acts. Also, may one ask, have the people of Pakistan done any better by electing the very politicians who are the primary beneficiaries of the law. Why blame Musharraf?

Justice Iftikar Muhammad Chaudhry was not the most popular judge, until he was manhandled by the Islamabad Police. In the ensuing mess, it is easy to forget what the reference was about. Simply put:

The President on the advice of the Prime Minister asked the Supreme Judicial Council (SJC) to opine whether the chief justice (CJ) had committed misconduct. Certain specific allegations (most notably regarding the CJ’s son) were included in the reference. SJC was seized of the matter when a petition was filed by Justice Chaudhry in SC. The Supreme Court, having initially stayed the proceedings before SJC, after three months of hearing (by a majority of 10 against 3) quashed the reference. In doing so, SC decided not to look into contents of the reference.

The Supreme Court ruling is intriguing. One waited anxiously for the detailed judgment; but considering that that may not be forthcoming, one is now left to speculate on possible reasoning.

The honourable judges may have concluded that while a references can be filed against other superior court judges, it cannot however be filed against the Chief Justice of Pakistan. This is faulty reasoning, not sustainable in light of the Constitutional provisions. Also, what happens if a chief justice goes into coma, or is diagnosed with mental incapacity? How would such chief justice be removed?

The other argument that perhaps found favour with the Supreme Court is that the reference was filed with ‘malice’ and was therefore void. But this raises an important issue. If there was a case to answer (which of course could only have been determined by consulting the reference), was it then available to the President/Prime Minister to withhold the Reference — whether with good intentions or bad. Was the President/Prime Minister not under a constitutional duty to refer it to SJC?

It seems to me that there was only one issue that the Supreme Court could have adjudicated: was there a case to answer based on the material contained in the reference. If yes, the President was obligated to refer the matter to SJC. The President’s alleged malice was quite irrelevant to the equation. This was after all not an issue between two private litigants, or even between the President and the Chief Justice. This was rather an issue having to do with Pakistan’s constitution. The Constitution does not permit a chief justice guilty of misconduct to remain in office.

Incidentally, one issue the honorable SC did not decide was whether the reference made out a case to answer. They decided not to consult the reference at all. In my opinion, majority of the honourable SC may have erred in this regard.

Next the Lal Masjid case. The Lal Masjid danda brigade began by taking over the children’s library; then raided various shops that were renting out Indian and western movies (hence unIslamic); then kidnapped three women on the allegation of indulging in immoral activities; then kidnapped eight Chinese nationals on the pretext of indulging in immoral activities. All this while the government was engaging in dialogue with them, with the whole world as witness.

Ultimately, the government gave every occupant of Lal Masjid the option to leave (even to collect Rs. 5,000 per head as travel expense) or face action. This message was communicated loud and clear. And what did the Lal Masjid brigade do? They (in front of live cameras) shot and killed two personnel of the Rangers, and set a government building on fire, while also ceaselessly firing bullets at the law enforcement agencies. Even then the government showed restraint.

It is only when the Lal Masjid militants refused to allow people to leave and threatened to start suicide bombings that the government acted with full vigour. Musharraf and other government functionaries were repeatedly criticized by the ‘free’ media for not taking action, and ultimately the media stood by the Lal Masjid militants when action was taken. The entire responsibility for Lal Masjid episode rests with the Lal Masjid hooligans — and the media also acted highly irresponsibly.

Moving on to the Waziristan operation, international law does not permit Pakistan to allow its citizens or citizens of other countries residing in its territory to wage war against Afghanistan or USA or any other country for that matter. Pakistan therefore had only two options regarding the militants present in Waziristan and elsewhere – to take action, or face action from those threatened by such militants. Such action would have been totally consistent with international law. Musharraf opted for the first and managed to convince the powers that be not to intervene directly.

Imagine if the second option had been implemented — not only would Pakistan be crippled economically, but there would also have been a huge reaction to foreign intervention, and quite possibly the country delivered to Taliban elements. Of course, Musharraf employed the carrot and stick approach and there was at times collateral damage on account of the latter.

We move to the case of ‘missing persons’. Some pertinent questions:

Why has a person gone missing? Could it be that he has voluntarily gone on jihad; or was he picked up by agencies?

Were there more missing persons falling in the latter category, during Musharraf’s time than in earlier regimes?

Did anyone go missing because of his enmity with or criticism of Musharraf?

If these questions are answered, it may well transpire that there were in fact fewer missing persons in Pakistan during Musharraf’s time than ever before. Significantly, it may also be revealed that those who went missing at the hands of the agencies were not ones who opposed Musharraf – these were persons wanted with regard to the war on terror.

Dr. Afia Siddiqui’s case merits mention though. Human Rights groups seem to have concluded that she was kidnapped with her three children by Pakistani agencies in 2003. Consider this:

How come despite multiple meetings with Pakistani officials Dr. Siddiqui has not claimed that she was kept in detention since 2003?

How come her lawyer continues to advise her not to disclose the whereabouts of her detention and that of her kids? How come her son who recently arrived from Afghanistan, has also not made any statement regarding his detention?

How come the current government (with all its opposition to whatever happened during Musharraf’s time) has not blamed any member of any agency for having taken her into custody?

Are we aware of any person kept in detention by the US for five years with their kids?

Has anyone been shot by US Forces while in detention – are we aware of any other case of this nature?

Could it be that she voluntarily went on jihad, took her innocent children with her, and has only recently been taken in detention?

No one, not even Musharraf’s harshest critics, accuse him of personal corruption. An eminent industrialist recently told me that in eight years that Musharraf was at the helm of affairs, he repeatedly called the general, bringing various kinds of government inefficiencies or inactions to his notice. He insists that each such approach was made in the interest of the country, and each time the General took constructive steps to ease the situation. The gentleman then says that he is still waiting for Musharraf’s first call asking for a favour in return, whether for himself or a friend or a relative or anyone at all.

I listen when Musharraf says that every step he took was taken in best national interest. There are some who hold A.Q. Khan as their hero; and there is also the dwindling number of those who raise Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry’s hand as the saviour of Pakistan; one must not expect them to lend their ears to Musharraf’s voice.

God forgive him and forgive us all

Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall

(Shakespeare).

(Concluded)

The writer is a Lahore-based lawyer.

Source: http://www.thenews.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=156628

Tribute to President Musharraf The proud son of Great Nation

Former Pakistan ruler Musharraf seeks support for comeback in Canada

ROD MICKLEBURGH

Vancouver— From Friday's Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Jan. 21, 2011 3:22AM EST
Last updated Friday, Jan. 21, 2011 3:27AM EST

Pakistan’s controversial former ruler, General Pervez Musharraf, is on the political comeback trail, but so far he is being forced to confine his campaigning to far-away countries such as Canada.

Mr. Musharraf said Thursday that he has met with numerous supporters during his two days in Vancouver, and chapters of his newly-formed All Pakistan Muslim League are being established here, in Toronto and in Calgary.

Former Pakistan ruler Musharraf seeks support for comeback in Canada
ROD MICKLEBURGH
Vancouver— From Friday's Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Jan. 21, 2011 3:22AM EST
Last updated Friday, Jan. 21, 2011 3:27AM EST
13 comments Email Print/License Decrease text size
Increase text size Pakistan’s controversial former ruler, General Pervez Musharraf, is on the political comeback trail, but so far he is being forced to confine his campaigning to far-away countries such as Canada.

Mr. Musharraf said Thursday that he has met with numerous supporters during his two days in Vancouver, and chapters of his newly-formed All Pakistan Muslim League are being established here, in Toronto and in Calgary.

“We are inviting people to join the APML, and we expect them to project the good of this party, and the good of my tenure as president,” he told a hastily-called news conference.

The goal, he said, is for supporters abroad, such as those in Vancouver, to convey that message back to “their near and dear ones” still living in Pakistan.

The ex-president who left the country in August of 2008, as opposition to his leadership mounted, has set no date for returning, deterred by fears for his security and possible court charges against him.

Last fall, Mr. Musharraf, 67, who served as both president and the Pakistan Army’s chief during most of his nearly nine years at the top, announced in London that he and his party would contest the next general elections, scheduled for 2013.

But he rejected any suggestion that he was out to “grab power” once again, despite his authoritarian military background.

“I don’t have the military and I am not wearing a uniform, so how could I grab power?” he told reporters. “The people of Pakistan will bring us to power. I am playing on the turf of politicians and trying to get elected, and that is exactly what democracy is.”

Mr. Musharraf said the state of Pakistan has degenerated since his departure, economically and in the fight against terrorism.

He reiterated that Pakistan is “totally and completely committed” to wiping out terrorism and religious extremism within its borders, but warned other powers to let the country’s own leaders do the job.

“The tactics must be left to the army and the organizations of Pakistan. There must be no dictating or micro-managing of details by other,” he said.

“That has been a bit of a problem,” he added, clearly referring to the role of U.S. military personnel in their war on terror, which has often spilled over into Pakistan.

Mr. Musharraf rejected charges that there were politically motivated killings of tribal opponents during his watch. “Everything was to enforce the writ of the government. I am the last person who will allow Pakistan to be called a banana republic.”

He claimed there were only nine drone attacks on Pakistani targets by the United States between 2003 and 2007, while he was president. “In the past year, there have been over 150,” he said.

As for Kashmir, he declared himself a man of peace who knows the ravages of war, firsthand. He said extremism and terrorism will only be brought under control when the thorny emotional dispute between India and Pakistan is finally settled.

One of those attending meetings here with Mr. Musharraf was bank employee Shaukat Khan, who has lived for the past 11 years in B.C..

Mr. Khan noted the economy did very well under the former general’s administration, while the country has become chaotic under its current, democratically-elected leadership.

“They are the most corrupt government we have ever had. I will take Mr. Musharraf’s democracy over this current one.”

Former Pakistan ruler Musharraf seeks support for comeback in Canada - The Globe and Mail

Back
Top Bottom