What's new

Murree Brewery of Pakistan

s90

Reaction score
CNN's Nic Robertson reports. :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
"Alcohol fatwa sparks controversy"

By Frances Harrison (BBC, April 11, 2008)

Cairo, Egypt - A prominent Egyptian cleric has created controversy by issuing a fatwa that says tiny amounts of alcohol are permissible in Islam.

Yusuf al-Qaradawi's fatwa says a level of 0.5% is allowed, whereas most Muslims would say alcohol of any quantity is banned.

Sheikh Qaradawi was recently refused entry to Britain as the UK government said his views could spark violence.

He issued his fatwa in response to a question about high energy drinks.

'Distorted'

Sheikh Qaradawi is talking about tiny quantities of alcohol - equivalent to about one-eighth of that found in one unit of light beer.

He ruled there was no religious ban on consuming drinks with a minute amount of alcohol in them if it was formed naturally through the process of fermentation.

He quoted the rule derived from the sayings of the Prophet that if drinking a lot of alcohol makes you intoxicated then drinking a little is also forbidden.

Sheikh Qaradawi argued that any person who consumed a large amount of high energy drink would not become intoxicated, therefore they were permissible, even though they contained tiny amounts of alcohol.

But this logic has not gone down well.

The editor of a newspaper in Qatar, where Sheikh Qaradawi lives, complained that the sheikh had just stirred up a controversy that everyone could have done without.

The editor said the fatwa from a cleric of the status of Sheikh Qaradawi would inevitably be misunderstood and distorted to suggest he was giving permission to Muslims to drink alcohol.

Sheikh Qaradawi, who is a well-known TV figure, views himself as a moderate voice of Islam.

One way you can tell this brewery has British roots is, in the beginning of the video you can see the British symbol of the "Celtic Lion" on the brewery.

Anyways interesting video, thanks for sharing.

Another one is Quetta Brewry. Infact the road it is located on is named after it, Brewry Road.

$40 million dollars a year, that is impressive of 5 million population buying, which sound very reasonable, but if I have to take a guess it is probably 15-20 million buyers for this brand name alone that are buying yearly.

$40 million dollars a year, that is impressive of 5 million population buying, which sound very reasonable, but if I have to take a guess it is probably 15-20 million buyers for this brand name alone that are buying yearly.

Do you really think its 5 million that are buying it :D. Pakistanis have to be probablly the biggest hypocrites in the world, when i entered my adulthood i began to realize how widespread alcohol is in Pakistan by experiencing it first hand. On a side note, all the people i know in Pakistan who are hardcore drinkers dont even touch this beer because they like foriegn beer :D.

Do you really think its 5 million that are buying it :D. Pakistanis have to be probablly the biggest hypocrites in the world, when i entered my adulthood i began to realize how widespread alcohol is in Pakistan by experiencing it first hand. On a side note, all the people i know in Pakistan who are hardcore drinkers dont even touch this beer because they like foriegn beer :D.

v true ... Its spread every where not sure about the rest of Pak but khi is full of em " and the amount of people one sees queing up to buy no matter wht time of the day !! I love the names for eg quarter is called PAWA lol !

Question for you guys.

How do the liquor store owners keep ******* from buying it? do non-******* have a ID card that says so?

Question for you guys.

How do the liquor store owners keep ******* from buying it? do non-******* have a ID card that says so?

They dont ! no one bothers to check a thing ... as long as the owner is paying a cut to local police station all is good... its only tough to get if you are like 13 - 14 years old,

I think they have some export market too.

If they make any decent ale or IPA they'll have a market in India too. *#$! United brewery has saturated Indian market with their Kingfisher Lagers... and they'll buy out any other Indian manufacturer. Not that it is a bad beer, but some variety would be nice.

BTW, isn't alcohol banned out there in Pakistan ?

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom