What's new

Mumbai Metro inauguration on Sunday

Mumbai is a very small city in sq feet, we need to build new cities because Mumbai just can't cope with massive population, limited green spaces and the nexus of builders and politics in play it will just get worse in the future.

Take a leaf out of China's book they have made modern cities from scratch!
Can you implement laws like them ?? High court will be filled with litigation my friend. That is not a role model that we can follow

Can you implement laws like them ?? High court will be filled with litigation my friend. That is not a role model that we can follow

We have no choice but to build new cities with such a massive population what option is there? cram more people into a dense small city like Mumbai?

It should be done on land which is available and not in use for farming like GIFT city in Gujarat or Dholera SEZ is a example of good planning and I think Modi himself made a election pledge to build more cities.

Just asking to everyone.In a seismically active area like Guwahati,what type of metro ,underground or overground possible

Just asking to everyone.In a seismically active area like Guwahati,what type of metro ,underground or overground possible

guwahti has sparse populatio,,,no need for a metro

The shifting of underground utilities in the world 's densest neighbourhood, the problems that arose out of the shifting of those utilities as a result of improper underground utilities' mapping, the constant tussle between the various agencies working together on the project, delays in casting and construction, and of course, funding and fund management, and in the end, certification, all led to this excruciating delay. Taking a leaf out of the stem of problems that faced Line1, I reckon lines 2 and 3 (mostly underground lines) will be completed within the stipulated time frame, even though the budget has shot up considerably.

In Guwahati, or anywhere on the planet for that matter, both underground and elevated metro lines are possible with proper engineering, fully taking into account the topography and seismic activity of the area. Greater allowances for earthquake resistance are provided during the design and construction of metro lines in general, anyway. If ever, they'd go with elevated metro lines in Guwahati owing to the much lower costs involved.

We have no choice but to build new cities with such a massive population what option is there? cram more people into a dense small city like Mumbai?

It should be done on land which is available and not in use for farming like GIFT city in Gujarat or Dholera SEZ is a example of good planning and I think Modi himself made a election pledge to build more cities.
Sir those chinese plans have backfired ... 60% of their new build cities remain unoccupied .. they sustain the builder through their huge monetary reserves .. can we ?? We cannot build cities at massive scales unless there is sufficient demand. We are building cities but they take their sweet time due to lack in demands

Sir those chinese plans have backfired ... 60% of their new build cities remain unoccupied .. they sustain the builder through their huge monetary reserves .. can we ?? We cannot build cities at massive scales unless there is sufficient demand. We are building cities but they take their sweet time due to lack in demands

The Chinese just went to far they were building cities to sustain population and development well into 2040 + and much of which are now ghost towns but they have the money to do it but I agree it was unsustainable.

India we have the demand already but it is a matter of finance we are lacking in, infrastructure projects are well behind schedule and some are just scraped all together. The level of corporate debt some Indian firms have is quite high and with the economy in a bad shape we just can't afford these types of massive urban projects that countries like China or Qatar is embarking on.

The Chinese just went to far they were building cities to sustain population and development well into 2040 + and much of which are now ghost towns but they have the money to do it but I agree it was unsustainable.

India we have the demand already but it is a matter of finance we are lacking in, infrastructure projects are well behind schedule and some are just scraped all together. The level of corporate debt some Indian firms have is quite high and with the economy in a bad shape we just can't afford these types of massive urban projects that countries like China or Qatar is embarking on.

my two cents ... a city will be built around an area where services aswell as manufacturing sectors have strong presence ... while we do have strong manufacturing presence ... services lack their presence (IT and consultants etc) ... laborers cannot afford properties ... and builders don't want to build cheap ... who will drive the property prices up then in these new cities ?

Open a hub of service industry and build a city around with .. thats the way to move forward

my two cents ... a city will be built around an area where services aswell as manufacturing sectors have strong presence ... while we do have strong manufacturing presence ... services lack their presence (IT and consultants etc) ... laborers cannot afford properties ... and builders don't want to build cheap ... who will drive the property prices up then in these new cities ?

Open a hub of service industry and build a city around with .. thats the way to move forward

We must mix it with Govt investment and private funding from investors to make it possible, we are way behind to where we need to be. Cities like Mumbai are now dying with over population, poor air quality and limited green spaces it is not a great city to live in compared to other world class cities like London or Singapore.

I remember coming from Gujarat and landing in Mumbai the last time I visited India and my throat felt so bad and my eyes were burning because of the poor air quality and the noise pollution was shocking with people honking their horns left right and centre. We can do better and we must if we ever want to be develop into a modern country with infrastructure on par with China or Singapore.

The T2 airport is world class though but we spoil it with it being near mosquito infested areas and the slums near the airport are a eye sore and a health and security hazard but being a democratic country we have limitations on what we are allowed to do.

The T2 airport is world class though but we spoil it with it being near mosquito infested areas and the slums near the airport are a eye sore and a health and security hazard but being a democratic country we have limitations on what we are allowed to do.

Things are changing for the better. Have faith, my friend.

Things are changing for the better. Have faith, my friend.

I plan to come back in 2015 jan/feb time and will land at the new T2 airport :tup: I do love Mumbai though the nightlife, culture and people its incredible city and dynamic place for sure.

I plan to come back in 2015 jan/feb time and will land at the new T2 airport :tup: I do love Mumbai though the nightlife, culture and people its incredible city and dynamic place for sure.

True that! The people of this city make it the most dynamic place in all of South Asia, and among much of the world as well. :)

p.s: T2 kicks ***!

Back
Top Bottom