Not open for further replies.

TruthSeeker

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
United States
Muhammad Cartoonist Is Said to Flee Attack

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS, January 1, 2010

COPENHAGEN (AP) — The police foiled an attempt to kill an artist who drew a cartoon depicting the Prophet Muhammad that sparked outrage in the Muslim world, the head of Denmark’s intelligence service said Saturday.

Jakob Scharf, who heads PET, the Danish intelligence service, said a 28-year-old Somalia man was armed with an ax and a knife when he tried to enter the home of the artist, Kurt Westergaard, in Aarhus on Friday evening.

The attack on Mr. Westergaard, whose rendering was among 12 that led to the burning of Danish diplomatic offices in predominantly Muslim countries in 2006, was “terror related,” Mr. Scharf said in a statement.

“The arrested man has according to PET’s information close relations to the Somali terrorist group, Al Shabab, and Al Qaeda leaders in eastern Africa,” he said.

The man was suspected of having been involved in terror-related activities during a stay in East Africa and had been under PET’s surveillance, but not in connection with Mr. Westergaard, Mr. Scharf said.

The police shot the Somali man in a knee and a hand, authorities said. The police in Aarhus said that the suspect was seriously wounded, but that his life was not in danger.

The man, who had a permit to live in Denmark, was to be charged Saturday with attempted murder for trying to kill Mr. Westergaard and a police officer, Mr. Scharf said. His name was not released.

Mr. Westergaard, 75, who had his 5-year-old granddaughter on a sleepover, called the police and sought shelter in a specially made safe room in the house, the police said.

Officers arrived two minutes later and tried to arrest the suspect, who wielded an ax at a police officer. The officer then shot the man.

Mr. Westergaard could not be reached for comment. According to his employer, the newspaper Jyllands-Posten, Mr. Westergaard said the assailant had shouted “revenge” and “blood” when trying to enter the room where he and his grandchild had sought shelter.

Mr. Westergaard remains a potential target for extremists nearly five years after he drew a caricature of the Prophet Muhammad wearing a bomb-shaped turban. The drawing was printed along with 11 others in Jyllands-Posten in 2005.

Muhammad Cartoonist Is Said to Flee Attack - NYTimes.com

See, I dont like the way some of us Muslims protest against this... violence isn't going to solve anything... but sueing the crap out of the cartoonists might.

And as if this wasn't expected... everyone knew that this would happen, after all, he pissed off 1.5 billion people. Do we make fun of Jesus or Moses or Buddha? NO. So why would anyone think that pissing off a billion people at once won't spark attacks on him?

If those idiots cant tolerate free speech, the law of the land, to the extent that they need to murder somebody, why do they bother living there ?

See, I dont like the way some of us Muslims protest against this... violence isn't going to solve anything... but sueing the crap out of the cartoonists might.

u cant sue against free speech

And as if this wasn't expected... everyone knew that this would happen, after all, he pissed off 1.5 billion people. Do we make fun of Jesus or Moses or Buddha? NO. So why would anyone think that pissing off a billion people at once won't spark attacks on him?

U sure u live in the US ? ever seen family guy for instance

Do we make fun of Jesus or Moses or Buddha? NO.

Are you living under a rock? Ever watch Saturday Night Live? South Park? People make fun of Jesus and Moses on SNL and other comedy shows all the time! Not so much on Buddha though. Confucius neither. Guess they are too obscure to make fun of. It's no fun to tweak (tease) about something unless people understand they are being teased.

Are you living under a rock? Ever watch Saturday Night Live? South Park? People make fun of Jesus and Moses on SNL and other comedy shows all the time! Not so much on Buddha though. Confucius neither. Guess they are too obscure to make fun of. It's no fun to tweak (tease) about something unless people understand they are being teased.

I said WE as WE Muslims. I like South Park but when they attempted the Mohammad [pbuh] thing, i stopped watching it.

If those idiots cant tolerate free speech, the law of the land, to the extent that they need to murder somebody, why do they bother living there ?

u cant sue against free speech

U sure u live in the US ? ever seen family guy for instance

Yeah, the excuse of free speech to piss off people. :disagree:
They try to live 'here' in peace, make a living, lead a normal life. Ever wonder why we say 'peace be upon him' when we mention a Prophet? Including Moses and Jesus [pbut]

And yes, sir, you can sue against free speech, when a million people in Denmark are effected, loopholes can be found.

Last I checked, Family Guy, wasn't owned by a Muslim. Hmm I wonder when that happened.

That is what i don't understand, that we Muslims don't make fun of Jesus PBUH, rather we consider him one of the prophets and messenger of God and give him due respect, as we give to all the other prophets, then why do Christians have to make fun of our Prophet ???

We don't abuse any religious figure of the other faiths, but everyone is after us and our Prophet PBUH.

That is very pathetic.

That is what i don't understand, that we Muslims don't make fun of Jesus PBUH, rather we consider him one of the prophets and messenger of God and give him due respect, as we give to all the other prophets, then why do Christians have to make fun of our Prophet ???

We don't abuse any religious figure of the other faiths, but everyone is after us and our Prophet PBUH.

That is very pathetic.

'Freedom of Speech'

in other words

'Freedom of pissing 1.5 billion people off and not expecting to be attacked.'

:agree:

And as if this wasn't expected... everyone knew that this would happen, after all, he pissed off 1.5 billion people. Do we make fun of Jesus or Moses or Buddha? NO.
The point is: What/Who is preventing you from doing so?

So why would anyone think that pissing off a billion people at once won't spark attacks on him?
Ah...So you are saying: Islam is a religion of peace, and we will kill you to prove it.

The point is: What/Who is preventing you from doing so?

No one. Because we're not going to. Why? A lot of reasons. Some of us dont want to go to Hell. Some of us dont have time or dont give a crap. Some of us have respect. Some of us know that doing so, will spark retaliation jokes on our Prophet.[pbuh] etc etc..

Ah...So you are saying: Islam is a religion of peace, and we will kill you to prove it.

Hahaha. :lol: Heard that before. Islam isn't going to be killing anyone. But in a religion of 1,500,000,000 people in a religion which is going through it's midlife crisis [fighting off tali's, anti-religion propaganda,prejudice etc] the chance of spitting in each in every one of them's face, and walking away alive, is pretty slim. :cheesy:

No one. Because we're not going to. Why? A lot of reasons. Some of us dont want to go to Hell. Some of us dont have time or dont give a crap. Some of us have respect. Some of us know that doing so, will spark retaliation jokes on our Prophet.[pbuh] etc etc..

Hahaha. :lol: Heard that before. Islam isn't going to be killing anyone. But in a religion of 1,500,000,000 people in a religion which is going through it's midlife crisis [fighting off tali's, anti-religion propaganda,prejudice etc] the chance of spitting in each in every one of them's face, and walking away alive, is pretty slim. :cheesy:
Exactly...NO ONE...Is going to...Or can...Prevent the muslims from insulting Jesus...

Piss Christ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Piss Christ is a 1987 photograph by photographer Andres Serrano. It depicts a small plastic crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. The piece was a winner of the Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art's "Awards in the Visual Arts" competition,[1] which is sponsored in part by the National Endowment for the Arts, a United States Government agency that offers support and funding for artistic projects.
It seems to me ridiculous the muslims' position that you will respect the sacred status of a mythical figure -- Jesus -- but sees nothing wrong with violating the sanctity of a human life in the worst possible way -- murder -- when said mythical figure demanded that all of us pay such respect.

Yeah, the excuse of free speech to piss off people. :disagree:
They try to live 'here' in peace, make a living, lead a normal life. Ever wonder why we say 'peace be upon him' when we mention a Prophet? Including Moses and Jesus [pbut]

And yes, sir, you can sue against free speech, when a million people in Denmark are effected, loopholes can be found.

Last I checked, Family Guy, wasn't owned by a Muslim. Hmm I wonder when that happened.

Thats the point, they do not have laws that prohibit making fun of a certain religion. They have made fun of Jesus thousands of time without any consequences. U cannot dictate them ur view, hey i find the spaghetti monster or queen Elizabeth offensive so no pictures of him/her.

Family Guy makes fun of religion (particularly Jesus Christ) in the worst possible way, and that was an example to ur statement suggesting they only make fun of Islam.

The movie 2012 did not have destruction of the main structure in Mecca. Producer/Director Roland Emmerich says: "We have to all, in the western world, think about this. You can actually let Christian symbols fall apart, but if you would do this with [an] Arab symbol, you would have ... a fatwa, and that sounds a little bit like what the state of this world is. So it's just something which I kind of didn't [think] was [an] important element, anyway, in the film, so I kind of left it out."

Emmerich has no qualms about wrecking other major landmarks, however. The massive dome of St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican rolls on top of a crowd of churchgoers. The huge Christ the Redeemer statue that looms over Rio de Janeiro disintegrates. And, of course, the White House gets crushed when a wave drops the aircraft carrier John F. Kennedy on top of it.

Movie Talk: The One Place on Earth Not Destroyed in '2012'

That is very pathetic.

Is the cartoonist Christian? I'm Christian and i find the cartoon to be in poor tast. I have spoken to many Christians regarding Islam and none of them ever had any bad feeling towards the religion.

Dawkins is correct Family Guy does make fun of Jesus, alot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom