What's new

Moving to Islamabad from London (UK)

SEAD

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am SEAD (a new member) and currently living in London, UK for the past 18 yrs. I have been lurking on this site for years and finally decided to join in. The primary reason of coming on here is to seek advice/guidance from the fellow members who are currently residing in Pakistan - as I plan on making a move back home!

I was born in Pakistan and moved here due to my father's job. I was 12 when I moved here so studied here from secondary school onwards. My immediate family are here and I am grateful to UK for the life I have lived here so far. Not wishing to brag or show off, but I am financially settled and can't really complain tbh - on the face of it, I have everything (house, car, job, family etc) but yet I don't feel at 'home' for some reason.

I have been contemplating a move back for a while now and believe now is the time to do it - within 6 to 12 months. With Pakistan's economy picking up and the future looking promising, I am keen on moving back sooner rather than later. The plan is as follow:

* I don't currently have a house in Pakistan but do intend to purchase one soon after my arrival. The areas that are of interest to me are F-6/7 or surrounding areas within these Zones in Islamabad. Though my budget is flexible, I was actually quite shocked when I saw prices of some of the properties online (10 crore+). Can any local members give me any advise, please? Are these prices shown online negotiable - and do houses tend to sell for nearer to asking prices or is it the case of sellers starting high and eventually settling for a more reasonable price? Is it just a case of having to be good at negotiating? Any advice/guidance is welcome on this topic. Although I would welcome views of everyone on here, I am particularly keen to hear from fellow members currently residing in Islamabad.

* The plan is to "test the waters out for approx 5 years". During this time, I will give everything to settle in ISB permanently but if the plan goes south, I will simply move back to UK & restart - though I hope it doesn't come to that.

* I plan on running a business whilst I am there. I currently run an online based e-commerce business here in UK and plan on doing something similar in Pakistan - though I understand the online market there is pretty small so I will be looking more towards a high street presence (Retail). I am also open to trying out other ventures such as Restaurants, takeaways and even considering Travel & Tourism (though I will need good local knoweldge in this). Whilst I am not expecting any fellow businessmen out here to let me in on their secrets, I would appreciate any advice and pros & cons to look out for and what sort of costs I can expect.

* What's life generally like in ISB? I have heard of some really positive feedback and from my limited knowledge, the city appears to be nice, clean, quite and pretty green with good access to local amenities. I know in other cities life is pretty hard for an average citizen, and issues with lack of Gas, electricity & water etc. Is it the same in ISB, too? What are the things to look out for? What's private education like for kids of 4 -10 years of age in a decent private school?

* What's the job market currently like in ISB? My Mrs works in IT sector and, as shes not used to being a full-time house bound (yet), she will struggle with boredom in general whilst there. So, she maybe interested in a part-time job just to keep sane lol - once again, any advice on this is welcome.

Now, in case any of you out there wondering what on earth is wrong with me and why I am so keen on risking a decent & comfortable lifestyle in UK and making a move that is clearly very risky - let me try and explain. I consider Pakistan to be my home & true identity. Granted there are loads of issues, but I am happy to face them and would rather live proudly live amongst my own - rather than be a "foreigner" abroad. With the expected arrival of our first child soon (Inshallah), I would want him/her to start their life there - ideally going on to serve in the Armed forces but that would be their decision, not mine.

Thank you for your time and I look to hearing from you...
Regards,

Hi All,

I am SEAD (a new member) and currently living in London, UK for the past 18 yrs. I have been lurking on this site for years and finally decided to join in. The primary reason of coming on here is to seek advice/guidance from the fellow members who are currently residing in Pakistan - as I plan on making a move back home!

I was born in Pakistan and moved here due to my father's job. I was 12 when I moved here so studied here from secondary school onwards. My immediate family are here and I am grateful to UK for the life I have lived here so far. Not wishing to brag or show off, but I am financially settled and can't really complain tbh - on the face of it, I have everything (house, car, job, family etc) but yet I don't feel at 'home' for some reason.

I have been contemplating a move back for a while now and believe now is the time to do it - within 6 to 12 months. With Pakistan's economy picking up and the future looking promising, I am keen on moving back sooner rather than later. The plan is as follow:

* I don't currently have a house in Pakistan but do intend to purchase one soon after my arrival. The areas that are of interest to me are F-6/7 or surrounding areas within these Zones in Islamabad. Though my budget is flexible, I was actually quite shocked when I saw prices of some of the properties online (10 crore+). Can any local members give me any advise, please? Are these prices shown online negotiable - and do houses tend to sell for nearer to asking prices or is it the case of sellers starting high and eventually settling for a more reasonable price? Is it just a case of having to be good at negotiating? Any advice/guidance is welcome on this topic. Although I would welcome views of everyone on here, I am particularly keen to hear from fellow members currently residing in Islamabad.

* The plan is to "test the waters out for approx 5 years". During this time, I will give everything to settle in ISB permanently but if the plan goes south, I will simply move back to UK & restart - though I hope it doesn't come to that.

* I plan on running a business whilst I am there. I currently run an online based e-commerce business here in UK and plan on doing something similar in Pakistan - though I understand the online market there is pretty small so I will be looking more towards a high street presence (Retail). I am also open to trying out other ventures such as Restaurants, takeaways and even considering Travel & Tourism (though I will need good local knoweldge in this). Whilst I am not expecting any fellow businessmen out here to let me in on their secrets, I would appreciate any advice and pros & cons to look out for and what sort of costs I can expect.

* What's life generally like in ISB? I have heard of some really positive feedback and from my limited knowledge, the city appears to be nice, clean, quite and pretty green with good access to local amenities. I know in other cities life is pretty hard for an average citizen, and issues with lack of Gas, electricity & water etc. Is it the same in ISB, too? What are the things to look out for? What's private education like for kids of 4 -10 years of age in a decent private school?

* What's the job market currently like in ISB? My Mrs works in IT sector and, as shes not used to being a full-time house bound (yet), she will struggle with boredom in general whilst there. So, she maybe interested in a part-time job just to keep sane lol - once again, any advice on this is welcome.

Now, in case any of you out there wondering what on earth is wrong with me and why I am so keen on risking a decent & comfortable lifestyle in UK and making a move that is clearly very risky - let me try and explain. I consider Pakistan to be my home & true identity. Granted there are loads of issues, but I am happy to face them and would rather live proudly live amongst my own - rather than be a "foreigner" abroad. With the expected arrival of our first child soon (Inshallah), I would want him/her to start their life there - ideally going on to serve in the Armed forces but that would be their decision, not mine.

Regards,
Welcome to Pakistan. May Allah bless you with a happy life.

@Imran Khan you were guiding another member about house purchase. Your guidamce is required here.

My personal observation , keep yourself busy in Pakistan Because people who migrate from west either they have limited life pattern, which is 5 times run to mosque or no activity. And don't trust anyone on financial matter. Keep solid grip on your finance, people will come after you and bring beautiful dream of money multiply plans. I would recommend buy SUV and explore Pakistan for the rest of your life. Pakistan is the most beautiful place to explore. Live low profile.

Please come with open mind.... Even though I grew up in Pakistan and lived there for two decades but I spent much of my adult life in the west, and simple things like standing in queues will cause frustration. You will stand in a queue and wait your turn like a normal human being and people will be cutting in from left and right, some will be jumping ahead by paying a bit, others will be muscling their way through.

Also things like reliable supply of electricity, water, internet and gas which we grow accustomed to in the west are often not always available in Pakistan. There is zero lane discipline and people think driving in two lanes simultaneously is some kind of badge of honor. There is no concept of right of way or not going wrong way. Pressing the horn every 2 seconds is considered essential otherwise your engine will choke. Also traffic lights are merely suggestions.

I knew a few people who gave up their steady lives in the west to move to Pakistan and were in serious depression and/or borderline suicidal after about 6 months.

That being said if you are rich in Pakistan there is no place like it. You can afford a massive house which you cannot have in five generations in the west. You can have an army of servants to cater to your every need, and if you have money the law is also a little less stricter on you.

So yeah it has its pros and cons.

Please come with open mind.... Even though I grew up in Pakistan and lived there for two decades but I spent much of my adult life in the west, and simple things like standing in queues will cause frustration. You will stand in a queue and wait your turn like a normal human being and people will be cutting in from left and right, some will be jumping ahead by paying a bit, others will be muscling their way through.

Also things like reliable supply of electricity, water, internet and gas which we grow accustomed to in the west are often not always available in Pakistan. There is zero lane discipline and people like driving in two lanes simultaneously is some kind of badge of honor. There is no concept of right of way or not going wrong way. Pressing the horn every 2 seconds is considered essential otherwise your engine will choke. Also traffic lights are merely suggestions.

I knew a few people who gave up their steady lives in the west to move to Pakistan and were in serious depression and/or borderline suicidal after about 6 months.

That being said if you are rich in Pakistan there is no place like it. You can afford a massive house which you cannot have in five generations in the west. You can have an army of servants to cater to your place every need, and if you have money the law is also a little less stricter on you.

Moving a country IS difficult and that depressiin could be way worse.if.yiu.move from sunny place to.uk.
I am.following.this.post. May ALLAH put barakah ans ease in.your move. Ameen

Also things like reliable supply of electricity, water, internet and gas which we grow accustomed to in the west are often not always available in Pakistan. There is zero lane discipline and people think driving in two lanes simultaneously is some kind of badge of honor. There is no concept of right of way or not going wrong way. Pressing the horn every 2 seconds is considered essential otherwise your engine will choke. Also traffic lights are merely suggestions.

That being said if you are rich in Pakistan there is no place like it. You can afford a massive house which you cannot have in five generations in the west. You can have an army of servants to cater to your every need, and if you have money the law is also a little less stricter on you.

Becareful hiring a nokkar ..they are the biggest source of robbery. lolzzzz

Hi All,

Regards,
There are many good IT companies in Islamabad/Rawalpindi including MTBC,Bentley Systems, AAI, KeepTrucking etc. Since i graduated from FAST ISB and many of friends are currently working in Islamabad so i can tell you from my experience you can easily find a nice job. Good luck

Hi All,

Regards,
hope you no work some analytic company and data collection... lol

Hi All,

Regards,

Just be tread carefully, to me it sounds like you're coming in unplanned. Why not do a 6 months trip and try to initiate something, see how it goes instead of diving straight in.

I know a person who came back from Austria to 'serve' Pakistan, but was only pushed around here and rused. Now he's going back to Austria where he multiple offers.

Or don't end up like that Pakistani American doctor who, after Imran Khan's speech, tweeted he is leaving everything and coming back to setup a clinic with his wife; his twitter account is now deleted.

Things are not in perfect order yet, there's a small lack of direction on economy, and oppurtunities limited.

So, that's why I don't straight dive in, come for 6 months or a year, see if the business works out, try to stay active.

My opinion.

You will feel very much at home in ISB. I spent most of my life abroad before I moved to Pakistan, starting with Karachi - which was a strange mix of awesome and pain. Then spent a few years in Lahore, now in Islamabad. I've moved closer to Margalla Hills - so getting up in the morning with a view of the beautiful hills is refreshing.

A large part of residents of ISB are those who've lived abroad - a lot of practical advise you get for the rest of Pakistan does not apply here - things like flaunting your finances, warying of strangers, etc - it's perfectly safe here. The people are helpful and nice.

I would recommend staying in a rented house for about 6 months to get to know the place before you purchase. You don't want to end with up with a case of buyer's remorse wondering why you didn't buy in the other area you live better. Don't rely on online prices - particularly new societies, there's a lot scams going on. When you get here, meet local property dealers, there's way too many of them - find a person you feel like you can trust and start hunting around with him.

@Imran Khan is our local ISB real estate expert.

What's private education like for kids of 4 -10 years of age in a decent private school?

I have a 3 year-old ready for school - been looking around and I see a lot of good options available. Though hoping someone with better experience could chime in.

Why not freelance? Pakistani companies cannot afford to compete in pay with American and European companies. I've been doing it for a long time. Happy to provide some pointers.

It's a good decision and will lead your family to a better life in sha Allah!

Though you're probably thinking too far ahead for your child - you'll think back on this someday when you see them spending their days playing their equivalent of fortnite in their teens :-)

Hi All,

Regards,
Do your research properly...MOVING at an adult age is always difficult...you need strong intentions and really strong commitment!

You also need to understand Pakistan is not UK
system differs: Understanding the system takes time
culture/ work culture : (some sick some really awesome - but that is case for every country) :understanding the culture takes time
Language barrier
laws / bureaucracy: differ and things maybe slow at times then again in any "foreign" country it is the same case.

I was raised in 3 countries with 3 completely different cultures (some overlaps) so...come with an open mind :)

Hi All,

Regards,

Also, life in capital is like in any other capital. Boring a bit, city is dead at 10 pm. Having club memberships and friends would help you.

Back
Top Bottom