What's new

Moving from subsonic to supersonic cruse missiels.

i dont think anyother nation except russia and now india has supersonic cruise missiles.

U.S has an experimental Hypersonic cruise missile X 51 ....tested once . The tech ( Scram jet /Ramjet is there ) for all major nations , and most others can do some joint development or purchases . Brahmos will be sold to many countries , Chinese cruise missiles too.

Only the acquisition of these weapons are generally made with strategic needs in mind.

U.S has an experimental Hypersonic cruise missile X 51 ....tested once . The tech ( Scram jet /Ramjet is there ) for all major nations , and most others can do some joint development or purchases . Brahmos will be sold to many countries , Chinese cruise missiles too.

Only the acquisition of these weapons are generally made with strategic needs in mind.
sorry my fault, but the only operational and public CM is with india and US.

These are two different approaches to Cruise Missiles.....neither is the predecessor of the other. Super/hypersonic CMs have been opted against by everyone in the West and also by us. The Chinese are moving to subsonic CMs as well.

With the development in nearly 100% accurate point defense systems, Subsonic cruise missiles would find it hard to survive..................Where as supersonic/hypersonic would have more chance simply due to sheer speed.

These are two different approaches to Cruise Missiles.....neither is the predecessor of the other. Super/hypersonic CMs have been opted against by everyone in the West and also by us. The Chinese are moving to subsonic CMs as well.

Agreed, supersonic cruise missile is not as effective as a subsonic missile against a powerful adversary that has an extensive radar coverage. As DBC pointed out long time ago; the key to beating the Brahmos is early detection, considering how extensive Pakistan's radar coverage is, it should not be a problem to beat the Brahmos.

The Americans tested the daddy of Brahmos, the X51 Hyper Cruise Missile. They chose to go against it because it does not gives them any strategic advantage, although it does offer some tactical advantage but its very limited. They chose to go with a subsonic cruise missile because they are more manoeuvrable, can hug the terrain and are better at avoiding detection. The faster the missile, the more RCS it has and the more RCS it has, it will be a magnet for a modern heat seeking missile. A supersonic cruise missile does not offer Pakistan any tactical or strategic advantage, the better option is to go with subsonic stealthy cruise missiles and deploy them in huge numbers and i believe this is exactly the option Pakistan is going for.

considering how extensive Pakistan's radar coverage is, it should not be a problem to beat the Brahmos

Only if you had some more knowledge about Brahmos and this is not the platform where i could tell about it.. Many versions/Blocks are being developed with each having a different role from other. You can believe this or, not - But once Brahmos is fired, there is very little its target can do..

I think many people still not understood concept of Supersonic and Hypersonic completely. Brahmos is unstoppable as of now. If they can be detected and stopped effectively by any way or any mean, Then Guess what all Ballistic Missile will be useless. Till date, Supersonic are unstoppable. Chances of tracing and stopping is as low as 5% only. May be after few years, There will be some advance technology which can detect and stop. But at that time, India would be using Brahmos-2 (Hypersonic Missile).

I think many people still not understood concept of Supersonic and Hypersonic completely. Brahmos is unstoppable as of now. If they can be stop by any way or any mean, Then Guess what all Ballistic Missile will be useless. Till date, Supersonic are unstoppable. Chances of tracing and stopping is as low as 5% only. May be after few years, There will be some advance technology which can detect and stop. But at that time, India would be using Brahmos-2 (Hypersonic Missile).

Read up on it.

RIM-161 Standard Missile 3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With the development in nearly 100% accurate point defense systems, Subsonic cruise missiles would find it hard to survive..................Where as supersonic/hypersonic would have more chance simply due to sheer speed.

Not really.....S-400 and SM-3 are two systems capable of intercepting supersonic missiles. What the supersonic missile tries to achieve through speed is what the subsonic missiles achieve through stealthy designs and NOE. Ill simplify it for you. Imagine a stealth optimized aircraft (eg. F-117), a nightmare for any radar operator. Now scale that aircraft down multiple times, reducing its RCS even further. Add NOE to that and then lets see you engage it. Iv seen many of you hailing and howling for the F-22/J-20/Pak-Fa. Carry that concept over to the CM side too. What you cant see is what you cant catch.

Im not going to venture into the land of "which approach is better" but I will say that the subsonic approach is by no means less capable nor more vulnerable than the other. Its actually quite brilliant.

I wish Pakistan had BrahMos or a similar weapon...it could boost our deterrence against India to a maximum level...

lol, why would pakistan gna get this brahamos missile, it is against pakistan not for pakistan.

Not really.....S-400 and SM-3 are two systems capable of intercepting supersonic missiles. What the supersonic missile tries to achieve through speed is what the subsonic missiles achieve through stealthy designs and NOE. Ill simplify it for you. Imagine a stealth optimized aircraft (eg. F-117), a nightmare for any radar operator. Now scale that aircraft down multiple times, reducing its RCS even further. Add NOE to that and then lets see you engage it. Iv seen many of you hailing and howling for the F-22/J-20/Pak-Fa. Carry that concept over to the CM side too. What you cant see is what you cant catch.

Im not going to venture into the land of "which approach is better" but I will say that the subsonic approach is by no means less capable nor more vulnerable than the other. Its actually quite brilliant.

When you people talk of supersonic cruise missiles you tend to forget it still is a cruise missile like any other it can still maneuver at high g-rates and that too with very high speed at 10000-15000 meters come down at 10 m still perform maneuver and crash into the target with tremendous amount of kinetic energy.

Talking of stealth have you heard of SR-71 black bird, it was huge enemy could see it but couldn't intercept it even after trying 4000 times, it couldn't maneuver more than 3gs, flew higher than 15000m what it only had was supersonic speed.

And F-117 was brought down using inferior air-defense systems we are now in the age of powerful AESA radars so stealth won't survive every time...........subsonic missile wouldn't survive against supersonic interceptors in an ECM battle field where AEW&C platforms would be covering every inch of the battlefield.......its the age of hypersonic cruise missiles flying above 6 mach would also outrun most of air defense missiles.........not to forget that they would also fly low and early detection won't be possible............. guess what even the air-defence guns like the ones on Tunguska can bring down a subsonic missile.

lol, why would pakistan gna get this brahamos missile, it is against pakistan not for pakistan.

Thats why I said I wish for it.....once armed with a nuclear warhead and mounted on a fighter aircraft,this type of weapon could give us more boost than Ra'ad...

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom