What's new

Move to Dubai

Papa Dragon

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Hi Guys,

I am currently working in the mid-west in the US and I have recently received an offer in Dubai from a US based firm. I would be payed pretty much the same as what I make after taxes in the US. I am seriously considering this option as that would place me closer to India and I could visit my family every month while I could travel to India only once an year while I'm in the US. Based on the cost of living, savings, lifestyle, traveling to home country and family visits, professional growth opportunites which would be a better option?

Hi Guys,

I am currently working in the mid-west in the US and I have recently received an offer in Dubai from a US based firm. I would be payed pretty much the same as what I make after taxes in the US. I am seriously considering this option as that would place me closer to India and I could visit my family every month while I could travel to India only once an year while I'm in the US. Based on the cost of living, savings, lifestyle, traveling to home country and family visits, professional growth opportunites which would be a better option?

been closer to home, i would say its a perk which has no alternative , not even money .. as for life style you will enjoy as i find Dubai to be very tolerant and open when it comes to foreign people ,cultures and religions .. there are some restrictions but its just normal .
as for Professional Growth Dubai is doing fine but some news regarding their downfall does circulate in Market but I will confess that i am hearing such news since 2011 ..
One thing you will miss in Dubai which you will have in USA is that if you become a Citizen or Permanent Resident of USA ( if you are not already ) than you will have rights .. but in UAE you wont have much rights , and you wont get any Citizenship even if you work there for your entire life .

You should move to Dubai as you will be closer to your family.

The working ethics in Dubai and middle east are very different (or degraded) as compared to US & western world. No matter how big white collar job is. Keep this in mind.

been closer to home, i would say its a perk which has no alternative , not even money .. as for life style you will enjoy as i find Dubai to be very tolerant and open when it comes to foreign people ,cultures and religions .. there are some restrictions but its just normal .
as for Professional Growth Dubai is doing fine but some news regarding their downfall does circulate in Market but I will confess that i am hearing such news since 2011 ..
One thing you will miss in Dubai which you will have in USA is that if you become a Citizen or Permanent Resident of USA ( if you are not already ) than you will have rights .. but in UAE you wont have much rights , and you wont get any Citizenship even if you work there for your entire life .

The working ethics in Dubai and middle east are very different (or degraded) as compared to US & western world. No matter how big white collar job is. Keep this in mind.
Thanks for your advice. Well rights and being a citizen doesn't really concern me as I would be moving back to India sometime in the next 5 years. What I'm concerned is I have good growth prospects here in the US and it is relatively easier for me to climb up the corporate ladder but I heard most companies in Dubai are filled with South Asians and they tend to tread on their sub-ordinates and claim credit for your achievements which is a typical South Asian attitude (I've experienced the same with some South Asian managers even in the US) which limits your growth in a company while here in the US, growth in most companies is based on one's performance.

Thanks for your advice. Well rights and being a citizen doesn't really concern me as I would be moving back to India sometime in the next 5 years. What I'm concerned is I have good growth prospects here in the US and it is relatively easier for me to climb up the corporate ladder but I heard most companies in Dubai are filled with South Asians and they tend to tread on their sub-ordinates and claim credit for your achievements which is a typical South Asian attitude (I've experienced the same with some South Asian managers even in the US) which limits your growth in a company while here in the US, growth in most companies is based on one's performance.

I never work in UAE but two of my brothers did , its true that there are many S.Asian , and specifically many Indians working in top Ranks .. so you will be fine , my brother has a Indian boss and he make his life hell until he made him resign to bring a Fellow Indian to his place ..
Dubai Market is indeed Booming you can get a great achievement there , while been close to home ..but if i had to chose between UAE and USA .. i would pick USA because I personally didn't like the Behavior of Arabs i interacted with .

I never work in UAE but two of my brothers did , its true that there are many S.Asian , and specifically many Indians working in top Ranks .. so you will be fine , my brother has a Indian boss and he make his life hell until he made him resign to bring a Fellow Indian to his place ..
Dubai Market is indeed Booming you can get a great achievement there , while been close to home ..but if i had to chose between UAE and USA .. i would pick USA because I personally didn't like the Behavior of Arabs i interacted with .
I know nothing about the Arabs but I was interviewed by an Indian and a Pakistani as I was previously informed by the HR and IMHO, both of them sucked and the interview was nothing like what I experienced in the US. While the perks they offered are decent enough and I would be closer to home, I still couldn't make a decision as this would be a pretty big move professionally in my aspect

I know nothing about the Arabs but I was interviewed by an Indian and a Pakistani as I was previously informed by the HR and IMHO, both of them sucked and the interview was nothing like what I experienced in the US. While the perks they offered are decent enough and I would be closer to home, I still couldn't make a decision as this would be a pretty big move professionally in my aspect

I think you should take Opinions of your Family , close relatives and friends .. they may give you a better insight :) best of luck

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom