What's new

Most Prestigious Professions?

my list

Rational Defence Analyst like Munshi Sir
Journalist like noble lady Ms Jana
World Peace Champion like Omar1984

You forgot, "Man of Prophecy like Sir Zaid Hamid"

Financial Analyst.....Financial Analyst:victory:

Before I ask you anything, here is my stand.
I can not compare the contributions of Edison and Einstein at all, both are immense and absolutely unrelated.

Now, what, in your opinion, are the contributions of Einstein?

Regards,
Anoop.

Originally posted by Gubbi
Edison was a tinkerer. Infact he employed a team of people to develop things in his lab, but took all the credit for himself.
Quote:
Menlo Park became the first institution set up with the specific purpose of producing constant technological innovation and improvement. Edison was legally attributed with most of the inventions produced there, though many employees carried out research and development work under his direction. His staff was generally told to carry out his directions in conducting research, and he drove them hard to produce results. The large research group included engineers and other workers.
My grandfather was a tinkerer and had a couple of patents to his name. He was just a 10th pass but lived off the royalty his 'inventions' generated. That was before the computerization replaced 'mechanical' mechanisms.

Einstein OTOH, was a genius. His contribution for which he won the Nobel prize - the explanation of the Photoeletric effect in the paper titled "On a Heuristic Viewpoint Concerning the Production and Transformation of Light" led to the development of a slew of modern technologies including night vision goggles, image sensors etc!

Bottom line - tinkerers abound a dozen by the dime while original thinkers are rare to come by.
Originally posted by justanobserver
What about the spats between Edison and Tesla ?

I read a book a long time ago which detailed the contributions of various scientists winning the Noble prize as seen through the Nobel prize awarding committee 's lens ,

I am assuming here you are aware the the guiding principle of awarding the Noble prize ( in the words of Alfred Noble ) has always been " To those who have accorded the greatest service to humanity"

and in keeping with this principle the first noble in physics went to Wilhelm Roentgen ( X ray discovery ). Einstein was awarded the prize after intense deliberation for almost 5 years ......and Mark you not for his much celebrated work of Relativity but for the his work in the explanation of the photoelectric effect.

the reason for his delay in receiving the prize was in the words of the Professors who nominated him for the prize and also the panel of profs who was asked to summerize his work because Einstein 's work was highly theoritical and no lab experiments could be performed to realize the validity of his claims at that time.....I am quoting from the book which said “ questions were raised whether Einstein work was indeed purely original or was instead a brilliant elucidation of the work of earlier masters and philosophers “…..
Most of Einstein ‘s work was theoretical if if you notice , Bose-Einstein statistics, Quantum theory, Wave-particle duality,General and special relativity etc…and Robert Andrew Millikan verified Einstein’s work in his famous Oil-drop experiment years after Einstein expounded it. So hence as Einstein ‘s work was basically theoretical ….and given that the man was an absolute genius decades ahead of his time …..
My point about engineers being more vitally important is because it is these engineers who understand the intricacies and deficiencies of industrializing these highly theoretical ideas to create products which which benefit humanity,
Were it not for them , these ideas would have simply remained on paper incomprehensible to laymen and of no practical use to them. It is the engineers who are responsible for making these modern tech wonders come true not scientists and while scientists make claim so called “ Intellectual superiority" and "rarity" as some of my friends here happen to suggest the ground reality about the bare necessity of engineers remain unchanged.
PS. Edison was just a random example .Even though he is conventionally not called an engineer, his inventions ( or those of his understudy’s whichever way people prefer ) show a concentration towards overcoming the industrial challenges from a piece of theory on paper and thereby bringing a new product into being which immensely benefited the people of his time …….this is the exact principle on which modern engineering is based and drawing a parallel here I happened to take his name . Of course there are several others …..unfortunately not known or credited even in current times in the mainstream anything close to the way in which scientists are worshiped…..

And apologies to all for being vague in my descriptions of sources(names of people and books) from which I take my material . I no longer have the originals with me and am unable to retrieve them being at great length…..
Due regards ……
Urbanized Greyhound

Last edited:
IT (Software development) is a good field these days in the west. Because there are actually jobs in that field.

dudes if u persue the jobs u aint gona become a good Software Developer ... its compleet devotion... !!!

and in keeping with this principle the first noble in physics went to Wilhelm Roentgen ( X ray discovery ). Einstein was awarded the prize after intense deliberation for almost 5 years ......and Mark you not for his much celebrated work of Relativity but for the his work in the explanation of the photoelectric effect.

the reason for his delay in receiving the prize was in the words of the Professors who nominated him for the prize and also the panel of profs who was asked to summerize his work because Einstein 's work was highly theoritical and no lab experiments could be performed to realize the validity of his claims at that time.....I am quoting from the book which said “ questions were raised whether Einstein work was indeed purely original or was instead a brilliant elucidation of the work of earlier masters and philosophers “…..
Most of Einstein ‘s work was theoretical if if you notice , Bose-Einstein statistics, Quantum theory, Wave-particle duality,General and special relativity etc…and Robert Andrew Millikan verified Einstein’s work in his famous Oil-drop experiment years after Einstein expounded it. So hence as Einstein ‘s work was basically theoretical ….and given that the man was an absolute genius decades ahead of his time …..
Thats exactly what Einstein was - a theoretical physicist. Just like today's Stephen Hawking. These people dream up of ideas which would take mere mortals lifetimes to understand. Therein lies their greatness.
My point about engineers being more vitally important is because it is these engineers who understand the intricacies and deficiencies of industrializing these highly theoretical ideas to create products which which benefit humanity,
Were it not for them , these ideas would have simply remained on paper incomprehensible to laymen and of no practical use to them. It is the engineers who are responsible for making these modern tech wonders come true not scientists and while scientists make claim so called “ Intellectual superiority" and "rarity" as some of my friends here happen to suggest the ground reality about the bare necessity of engineers remain unchanged.
Thats quite a statement, if you may. Without ideas, where does one bring 'modern marvels'? Not that engineers dont play an important part, but giving them all the credit is a bit too much.
It took years to bring the concept of Photoelectric effect into everyday practical use. If it was as simple as you suggest, it could have been done earlier by engineers.
Another case - Einstein's theory of relativity. When it was first published, only a handful of people in the world understood what it really meant. How much time before we see time travel or FTL travel become an everyday event? Where are the engineers?

kehte the...duniya dekhni hai...amrika jaana hai to IT joi karlo...
growth chahiye to IT join karlo...
IT pe sab qurbaan kar diya...badle mein codes aur ghante lambe hote chalegaye...
Pakistan mein bhi exact same halaat hain kya IT kay?

bahi yhan to Eid ke din B Project banany me lag jatay hein , kabi kbar to log raat ko ghar wapis nai ja patay ...!!!

The song beautifully describes the life of a coder... !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey none of people here mentioned Serving in the Armed Forces as a Prestigious Profession...;)

:) That long piece does not answer what are his contributions, in your opinion.

I await your answer.

Regards,
Anoop.

His scientific contributions are quite succinctly summarized in Wikipedia.,I shall try to get the details of people involved in bringing several of his theories especially in Thermodynamics and in Photoelectric effect to practical applications, and also the circumstances involved.

However I would encourage you to read about a young American Engineer called

Richard Buckminster Fuller and what Einstein had to say about him.

For what?

Mr X made a statement. I, Mr Y, want to know his opinion about it. How do you or this link come into the picture? I want to know "his" opinion.

Regards,
Anoop.

Why are you getting infuriated? This is a general discussion forum, aint it?

Why are you getting infuriated? This is a general discussion forum, aint it?

1.) I was not infuriated. My posts are usually pretty respectful. On the contrary, your post sounded more like an order "read this". No please, no regards nothing. While I always make it a point to be respectful.

2.) Please do read my post. I had "clearly" asked "his" opinion. Despite that you jumped in.

3.) I know more than enough about Einstein. I am not one of those forum members who first google and then brag. I know a lot about Einstein, his work and contributions, as much as an amateur guy interested in astrophysics, cosmology can do. For eg. I have a 10 inch telescope with me to observe the night sky, various galaxies, nebula etc. His statement on Einstein's contributions intrigued me.
I do not mind someone dismissing Einstein or his contributions but first the person should know what the contributions are.

He may know about it. I am not doubting that. Hence I want to know his opinion.

Thanks and Regards,
Anoop.

For what?

Mr X made a statement. I, Mr Y, want to know his opinion about it. How do you or this link come into the picture? I want to know "his" opinion.

Regards,
Anoop.

Apologies . I misunderstood.....

well then in my opinion Einstein has a massive contribution to the development of theoritical physics today as we know it.He is definitely a great proponent of the shift from the absolute system of the Newtonian era .....along with a huge number of others like Bohr, Shrodinger,Max Plank etc I may add. His scientific contribution is undoubted and unrivaled.

Now coming to the context in which I am arguing . My point is that as regards the overall benefit of humanity , is Einstein(Bohr,Plank etc) more important than an Engineer of similar stature ? Imho No ....

And I say this on the strength of the fact that Einstein's theories in his day were lines on paper , they were brought to the common man's fingertips much much later by engineers/technicians/laboratory researchers. I rest my case.....

His scientific contributions are quite succinctly summarized in Wikipedia.,I shall try to get the details of people involved in bringing several of his theories especially in Thermodynamics and in Photoelectric effect to practical applications, and also the circumstances involved.

However I would encourage you to read about a young American Engineer called

Richard Buckminster Fuller and what Einstein had to say about him.

Hi,
I wanted to know your opinion. Please do note, that I had said that I can not compare Edisons contributions with those of Einsteins simply because they both are very different.

On the other hand you had dismissed Einstein's contributions with your statement. I merely ask you to substantiate what you meant by that.

Regards,
Anoop.

Back
Top Bottom