What's new

Modi lands in Japan, Abe walks the distance to bond with him

Japan in Depth / Japan, India to up economy, security ties - The Japan News
Regarding bilateral cooperation in the field of defence equipment, the two leaders agreed to accelerate talks to realize exports of Japan’s US-2 amphibious rescue aircraft to India at an early date. For India, which lags behind in expanding airports, the US-2 aircraft holds a great deal of potential as it can land in and take off from water. India is eyeing licensed production of the aircraft and the transfer of relevant technology, but Japan is showing reluctance over such issues as manufacturing parts in India — leaving the development of negotiations unclear.

In relation to the Japan-India nuclear cooperation agreement, the two leaders agreed to accelerate negotiations aiming to reach an early conclusion. India has strongly been seeking Japan’s nuclear technology as the nation is suffering from a power shortage.

However, India is de facto a nuclear country, meaning exporting nuclear power plants and related technology there poses a problem of ensuring the country’s peaceful use of nuclear power.

According to diplomatic sources, the Indian side said during preliminary arrangements that India would be able to cooperate with China in the field of nuclear power, indicating its tough nature as a negotiator, eyeing both Japan and China.

Modi leaves Japan, shame the US-2 deal wasn't signed.....

(and the nuke deal but that was always very unlikely).

As Modi was departing Japan he shook the hands of his (Japanese) personal security team- classy move.

Last edited:
I understand their problems in the nuke deal...but the US-2, anyone know what the issues were? I thought both sides were very keen.
Indeed- the nuke deal being signed this soon looked overly optimistic boarding on the delusional however the US-2 deal seemed to be a low hanging fruit both sides seemed very keen to pluck I am at a loss to understand why the deal wasn't signed also. @Nihonjin1051 any ideas?

Indeed- the nuke deal being signed this soon looked overly optimistic boarding on the delusional however the US-2 deal seemed to be a low hanging fruit both sides seemed very keen to pluck I am at a loss to understand why the deal wasn't signed also. @Nihonjin1051 any ideas?

The Nuke deal didn't end in failure, as we saw the lifting of the ban on HAL and other said entities. Tho Modi is not in Japan anymore, the framework has been established for both Japanese and Indian counterparts to work on an agreement.

I understand their problems in the nuke deal...but the US-2, anyone know what the issues were? I thought both sides were very keen.
Just not so fast yet.

Certainly this India and Japan intimacy will raise backfires for both nations. Alerting other countries certainly object such deals. Japan won't win India @expenses of losing other South Asia.

Abe also needs to reach out to Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka on similar infrastructure investment(s).

I think they are still in discussions, probably about tech transfers.

Japan to transfer US-2 amphibian aircraft,technology to India

India and Japan directed the Joint Working Group to accelerate progress in the discussions and preparations for a road map for the development of the Indian aircraft industry through US-2 amphibian aircraft cooperation.

The direction was made following the Annual Summit meeting between Indian Prime Minister Naredra Modi and his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe on Monday. Both sides directed the Joint Working Group to accelerate progress in the discussions and preparations for a road map for the development of the Indian aircraft industry through US-2 amphibian aircraft cooperation including the transfer of the aircraft and its technology to India, read a joint statement issued in Tokyo after the summit meeting.

I think they are still in discussions, probably about tech transfers.

Japan to transfer US-2 amphibian aircraft,technology to India

India and Japan directed the Joint Working Group to accelerate progress in the discussions and preparations for a road map for the development of the Indian aircraft industry through US-2 amphibian aircraft cooperation.

The direction was made following the Annual Summit meeting between Indian Prime Minister Naredra Modi and his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe on Monday. Both sides directed the Joint Working Group to accelerate progress in the discussions and preparations for a road map for the development of the Indian aircraft industry through US-2 amphibian aircraft cooperation including the transfer of the aircraft and its technology to India, read a joint statement issued in Tokyo after the summit meeting.

You make the right point.

In the decades when the developed world invested and made China the world manufacturer, Japan has been the last country that would transfer tech to China, lagging behind the Germany, the UK, the US, France, Italy, Netherland and even Sweden. It's Japan's stretegy to hold tech trasfer from large developping countries, who will in returen grab Japan's market share. The largest mistake for Japan is tech transfer to a non "large developing country" and that country called South Korea.

Indians shall be clear of that. Japan won't be your savior.

You make the right point.

In the decades when the developed world invested and made China the world manufacturer, Japan has been the last country that would transfer tech to China, lagging behind the Germany, the UK, the US, France, Italy, Netherland and even Sweden. It's Japan's stretegy to hold tech trasfer from large developping countries, who will in returen grab Japan's market share. The largest mistake for Japan is tech transfer to a non "large developing country" and that country called South Korea.

Indians shall be clear of that. Japan won't be your savior.

Savior from what? Why so serious?

Is it me or Modi keeps getting more fair and lovely every time he is on a tour

1868980-1791628_1791621_729738409_my_word_sir_are_you_jelly_xlarge_super.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom