What's new

Mk108 Minengeschoß

C130

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
would such a cannon be the ultimate air to ground weapon??? more so the Minengeschoß ammuntion (mine-shell)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minengeschoß

The Minengeschoss ('mine-shell') was a high-capacity autocannon ammunition originally developed in Germany and used in the Luftwaffe's larger caliber aircraft armament during World War II. This new type of high-explosive shell differed from conventional H.E. ammunition in that it had much thinner walls. The shell was drawn from high-quality steel, instead of having the explosives cavity drilled into a solid shot, which allowed thinner-wall construction and therefore a far greater amount of explosive filler.

h5SIK1t.jpg

In 3 cm caliber different M-Geschoss designs were available: the original blunt-nosed Ausf.A had an 85 g filling of nitropenta (PETN), which was reduced to 72 g in the more streamlined Ausf.C shell (the "missing" B was a practice shell). In comparison, the PGU-13/B HEI round for the GAU-8/A Avenger gun of the A-10 Warthog contains only a 58 g explosive filler, while 30mm OFZ shell of Russian GSh-301 and GSh-30-6 cannons has a 48.5 g filler.

only downside I see is the low muzzle velocity of 540 m/s out of the Mk 108, but with a different cannon with a longer barrel and making the case longer instead of 90mm to 113 to 130mm 700 to 800m/s would be a huge improvement.

a twin-mount setup on the Scorpion would be interesting like the DEFA 554 on the Mirage

Canon_DEFA_MG_1462.JPG

Back
Top Bottom