What's new

Missing persons: ISI, MI counsel says RAW and Mossad involved

As long as I don't get involved in anti-state activities that compromise Pakistan & its security, they won't attack me. If I get involved, then they will. It's pretty simple, and every international agency does this.

Wow, that's an heck of a way to defend a spy agency. So you are okay for ISI to decide who is terrorist and who is not? Then why do you want a judicial system? Just ask ISI to decide it for you.

It is sad that senior members here have misconceptions about how much authority the ISI/Army has over Pakistan, & its affairs. The ISI/Army have always been accountable to the Supreme Court.

Which is what I pointed out, but when have they been tried for their crimes before in civilian courts?

It is not the fault of the ISI/Army for the rising extremism, for the worsening law and order situation (target killing & random violence) in the country (the LEA's fall under the jurisdiction of the government)

That case has not started yet, and I won't accuse them or acquit them of a charge that has not been levied. Let's not go there, as that is another pandoras box. Courts have gone all the way back to 1991 to charge the ISI agents of that time - it may always go as far as Zia's time and then you'll see what all pops up.

it is not responsible for acquitting terrorists all over Pakistan in the name of human rights
Correction, not a single person has been released with the argument "Oh bichara, human rights abused banda". Every one of them was released because ISI had no evidence against them. ISI's fault for not doing their due dilligence. Do you still hold the responsibility of lawful due diligence for law authorities?

it is not responsible for the lack of development, poor socioeconomic conditions in the country, the corruption in the country.
On all three counts, it may get charged soon as the results of Mehrangate come in. ISI propped up IGI, spent money on them. They came to power, did squat for development, socioeconomic indicators nose-dived and corruption - well they bribed them so the seeds of ISI in politics started with corruption.

The very fabric of Pakistan society falls under the responsibility of the government.
I don't know what you mean by the "very fabric of Pakistani society", but Pakistani nation belongs to the political sovereign - the people of Pakistan. We the people are the supreme power in Pakistan. ISI exists to serve us, we don't exist to serve them.

The Army has a very limited role in Pakistani affairs: it is only responsible for war zones (which in this case is FATA), and they have done a fairly good job on that front. The government (LEAs) are responsible for the situation in Balochistan, not the Army, as there are no troops deployed there.
Army is responsible for a lot of things one thing you forgot it is responsible for defending Pakistan. Has the army leaders started shooting down drones where foreign military is attacking Pakistani soil without its mandate?

I can't wait till Kayani is dragged in the court and he is asked "Bata kiski ijazat se tunay shoot down nahi kiay drones?"

This is a specific allegation against the chiefs of services, the more you expand this debate, the more of their crimes against Pakistan come to light. Crimes for which they must pay to the political sovereign of Pakistan.

As long as I don't get involved in anti-state activities that compromise Pakistan & its security, they won't attack me. If I get involved, then they will. It's pretty simple, and every international agency does this.

But who decides you are involved in anti-state activities?

Hypothetical:

You go to college and hookup with Pasha sahab's beti and he doesn't approve. He says arrest this man, he is with the TTP. Since there is no trial you don't get to prove you are not from the TTP and rot away in Adiala Jail.

You really want to throw away your right for a free trial with representation and judgment by competent authorities?

SC chides spy agencies for crossing the line |

Durrani says ISI not involved as he acted in personal capacity - The Supreme Court on Wednesday expressed annoyance over the working of intelligence agencies, terming their activities “beyond given mandate”. Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry remarked that the secret agencies were not working as per their mandate, saying, “We cannot compromise on the interests of the state.”

The apex court resumed the hearing of the Mehrangate scandal by warning Younis Habib – the central figure of the scandal – against scandalising the court, and asked him to submit documents and applications in accordance with the rules of the apex court. Younis, former chief of the defunct Mehran Bank, has recently written a letter directly addressed to the chief justice. Younis then sought an unconditional apology from the Supreme Court in this regard.

Former Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) chief Asad Durrani said he had acted in personal capacity, and that the ISI was not involved in the distribution of funds to certain politicians. The CJP asked Durrani if he was accepting that he had distributed the money among politicians. “You and Aslam Beg were generals when this happened, and we don’t know the consequences of this act,” he said.

“How did you, being a government employee, function in your personal capacity? You may take a lawyer if you wish so,” Justice Khilji Arif Hussain asked the former ISI head. Durrani replied, “I kept the ISI out of it all. I will prefer to hire the services of a lawyer.”

The chief justice asked Attorney General Maulvi Anwarul Haq to read out a news story published in an English daily about the role of secret agencies. After reading the relevant paragraphs, the attorney general told the bench that he could not verify the authenticity of the said news item. The bench issued notices to the newspaper’s reporter to appear and assist the court by providing classified documents that he had mentioned in his story. The attorney general told the court that the government had no objection if the secret statements of Asad Durrani and Naseerullah Babar were made public. He said that he had gone through the relevant record of Asghar Khan’s case with the cooperation of the Registrar’s Office and could not find anything classified, as the said material had already been known to the public and the media. “A written order will be passed to make the report public during the next hearing of the case,” the CJP remarked.

The bench questioned the attorney general about the unavailability of the enquiry commission’s report on Mehran Bank. The attorney general replied that the interior secretary was out of country and he would apprise the bench about the status of reports after contacting him. The Supreme Court then adjourned the hearing until March 30. On March 9, Durrani testified before the apex court that he had received instructions from the then chief of army staff Mirza Aslam Beg to make arrangements for disbursement of Rs 140 million among certain candidates to influence the 1990 general elections.

If you are asking for ISI to be forgiven for their role in fighting for national security, that may be a possibility but it first has to admit where all it was at fault, repent, change its ways and for the sake of national security the nation may even forgive them. But if they continue to safeguard any fard-e-wahid and drag the institution down for that, that's on them.

i think it is high time Pakistanies stand up & start asking question's from Army & ISI cause they are not just responsible for protection of border's but they are also more responsible in defending Pakistan's iterests inside the border & most impostantly Pakistani publick??????

Why are they above Law & Pakistani citizen's ..why????????

if Indian publick & courts punish General's indulging in false battel's & taking medal's for it & General's who was responsible in illeagle land scam & Adarsh housing society what is stopping Pakistanie's to try them for not taking action against drone's & multinational mercinarries involved in killing innocent pakistanie's like Raymond Davis ...it is very easy to put blame on other's & denay your misconduct & incompetence but why as a nation Pakistani publick give's them a free hand...it is not there job to run backeries, shadee hall's & cloth mill's there main work is to protect Pakistani citizen's from both External & internal enemies & they have Failed big time..if pakistanies dont take charge now it just might be too late...stop denial & false worship of army & isi cause they dont desreve it.....no bodies above the LAW ...Thanks.

Which is what I pointed out, but when have they been tried for their crimes before in civilian courts?

Likewise, the CIA does not get tried in civilian courts in the US either.

That case has not started yet, and I won't accuse them or acquit them of a charge that has not been levied.

Correction, not a single person has been released with the argument "Oh bichara, human rights abused banda". Every one of them was released because ISI had no evidence against them. ISI's fault for not doing their due dilligence. Do you still hold the responsibility of lawful due diligence for law authorities?

That's the problem with Pakistani courts. The criminals thrive under the current legal system, because the laws drafted are incapable of prosecuting them. Even in mature democracies worldwide, the Judiciary does not get involved in matters of national security. Niaz sahab responded to a similar post of yours on this very issue a week ago, which you didn't satisfactorily respond to:

What more proof is needed than fighting PA commandos with guns? Still all the Lal Masjid mob is released and Mulla Abdul Aziz is free. Would you call this 'No evidence at all'?

Let us face it. Just like many in Pakistan society, some judges including the CJ appears to have soft corner for the terrorists who claim to fight for Islam. Pakistan state be damned! Hurrah for the jihadist.

I don’t like many actions of the ISI. Any organization which has had chiefs in the likes of the bigot Hamid Gul cannot be all clean and surely guilty of many crimes. However, in case of terrorists being freed by the courts, I would go along with ISI. It appears that Courts are there only to support the rights of the Criminal.

Common sense dictates that normal laws don’t apply to the terrorist such as Suicide Bomber. Chances are that the young man has not committed any crime beforehand and you cannot officially charge a person for ‘Thinking’ about committing a crime. Once it is done it is too late because the person is dead and has killed score of innocents with him.

How would one fight such crimes and attempt to stop them? It can only be thru circumstantial evidence such as being friendly to known terrorists or being active member of known terrorist organizations. True that there will be some ‘Human rights’ violation of the suspected criminals but ‘Human rights’ of dozens of possible innocent victims will be safe guarded.

This is a very special war which we are losing in Pakistan. I agree with Hon Bilal Haider that it appears that there are far more terrorists sympathizers among the Judges than in the ISI.
We have to ask ourselves the question:

Do we go on releasing suspected terrorists or keep them incarcerated; even though some of them may be innocent?

Locking up suspected terrorists assuming only half of them were guilty should surely save lives of hundreds on innocent victims of the suicide bombers. In my opinion we will never get rid of the menace of terrorism applying the Anglo Saxon “Innocent until proven guilty” or ‘Presumption of innocence’ principle where onus of proof beyond reasonable doubt rests with the Prosecution. Instead for suspected terrorists, onus of the proof of “Innocence” should with be shifted to the Defence.

This would mean a Change in Constitution, so be it, should we go on letting the terrorists shedding innocent Pakistani blood in the name of Islam just because our police is inept and defence lawyers too slick?

Instead of rehashing the same old topics, and repeating the same things again, we need to drop some of the rigidity in ourselves, and open our minds to other possibilities as well.

On all three counts, it may get charged soon as the results of Mehrangate come in. ISI propped up IGI, spent money on them. They came to power, did squat for development, socioeconomic indicators nose-dived and corruption - well they bribed them so the seeds of ISI in politics started with corruption.

I don't know what you mean by the "very fabric of Pakistani society", but Pakistani nation belongs to the political sovereign - the people of Pakistan. We the people are the supreme power in Pakistan. ISI exists to serve us, we don't exist to serve them.

I have never said the ISI is free of blame, but most of the blame lies on the civilian government & its ineptness in all areas of life. You are open in your criticism of the ISI, but very silent on the anti-state elements inside Pakistan, responsible for the lack of order & violence/terrorism inside the country.

Army is responsible for a lot of things one thing you forgot it is responsible for defending Pakistan. Has the army leaders started shooting down drones where foreign military is attacking Pakistani soil without its mandate?

The Army is responsible for protecting the country from foreign threats. The US drone strikes, while killing civilians, mostly kill militants. This is a fact. Whether the drone strikes stem the flow/momentum of militant attacks in FATA & Afghanistan or not is questionable (it arguably does not do that) & another topic, but it does kill militants for the most part. However, I would argue that the drone attacks do not stem the flow/momentum of militant attacks, it acts as an irritant for Pakistan, an irritant that must be removed. But that does not mean the militancy in FATA should not be addressed.

Furthermore, the military has categorically stated many times it would shoot down the drones, if it is given an order by the government. That order has never been given. Likewise, the military has kept the supply routes closed, and is willing to accept whatever decision the parliament makes on the issue. That shows that the Army is accountable to the civilians in Pakistan.

But who decides you are involved in anti-state activities?

I think the courts have done a poor job on this front, & the ISI does a far better job. Look at the worsening law and order situation in Karachi, & else where in the country.

Likewise, the CIA does not get tried in civilian courts in the US either.
Can you name a crime that has been committed by the CIA against Americans? If the CIA exceeded its designated mandate it would be tried (as it has been on rare occasions) as well.

Sources: Raymond Davis on trial for an unrelated crime in the US
Ex-CIA operative ordered to trial for belting minister
Jeffrey Alexander Sterling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As I said the CIA rarely makes the mistakes on the level that ISI does because ISI was not afraid of prosecution.

That's the problem with Pakistani courts. The criminals thrive under the current legal system, because the laws drafted are incapable of prosecuting them. Even in mature democracies worldwide, the Judiciary does not get involved in matters of national security. Niaz sahab responded to a similar post of yours on this very issue a week ago, which you didn't satisfactorily respond to:

Can you point out what is wrong with the law, or are you saying that the requirement for evidence should be eliminated from the law?

Niaz Sahab was talking of terrorists in general - and the courts handled the case on merit. The case against Muhammad Abdul Aziz was on Murder, incitement and kidnapping, not for fighting PA commandos. Why wasn't that charge levied?

Instead of rehashing the same old topics, and repeating the same things again, we need to drop some of the rigidity in ourselves, and open our minds to other possibilities as well.

Law does not require empathy of all parties. You are charged with a crime, if the evidence shows you did that crime you are given a sentence. It requires strict adherence, that's it.

I have never said the ISI is free of blame, but most of the blame lies on the civilian government & its ineptness in all areas of life. You are open in your criticism of the ISI, but very silent on the anti-state elements inside Pakistan, responsible for the lack of order & violence/terrorism inside the country.
I am completely supportive of the trial on Memogate involving President Zardari and contempt of court case involving PM Gilani.

President Zardari has immunity from other prosecution by the constitution.

The Army is responsible for protecting the country from foreign threats. The US drone strikes, while killing civilians, mostly kill militants. This is a fact.
It is not a fact, can you name each and every person dead from the attacks and their profiles as terrorists? Then how do you know?

Again the question of the right to a trial comes in. Every Pakistani has a right to a trial with representation.

Drone strikes violate not only the judicial branch of government but also the executive and legislative. Legislation exists in the form of a Parliamentary resolution to not allow drone strikes. If there was parliamentary cover to the drone strikes to kill militants by the use of a foreign military I would still accept. But there is outright rejection of this. If any military chief states he does this because he has deemed what you say as a fact that those people were deemed fit to be killed as terrorist, then he is in violation of the parliamentary resolution, he is committing high treason by such a violation and will open himself to further prosecutions.

Whether the drone strikes stem the flow/momentum of militant attacks in FATA & Afghanistan or not is questionable (it arguably does not do that) & another topic, but it does kill militants for the most part. However, I would argue that the drone attacks do not stem the flow/momentum of militant attacks, it acts as an irritant for Pakistan, an irritant that must be removed. But that does not mean the militancy in FATA should not be addressed.

No one has said that militancy should not be addressed, it should be addressed as per the mandate of the parliament expressed once again by this government in an anti-terrorism resolution in 2008. That has to be dealt with the use of resources of the Pakistan military. Nowhere has anyone agreed to allow foreign military to attack any part of Pakistan soil.

Furthermore, the military has categorically stated many times it would shoot down the drones, if it is given an order by the government. That order has never been given. Likewise, the military has kept the supply routes closed, and is willing to accept whatever decision the parliament makes on the issue. That shows that the Army is accountable to the civilians in Pakistan.
To that cop-out I ask, since when is defending Pakistan not the standing orders of the military? Do you need a presidential order to defend Pakistan against a foreign attack? Kayani has said many times he would shoot the next drone that violates Pak airspace only to sit idly by and watch Pakistan get attacked over and over by a foreign military.

If the government has said not to attack the drones, then I would understand that, but that has never happened. If it has happened, the army should defend itself by citing that order.

I think the courts have done a poor job on this front, & the ISI does a far better job. Look at the worsening law and order situation in Karachi, & else where in the country.
The courts are not the police who have to go around stopping people from obeying the law. The law agencies have to arrest people, collect evidence and bring them to the court for prosecutions.

Why does Pakistan have such a high rate of extra-judicial killings? Because our authorities are incompetent to do their due diligence. Are the courts not implementing the law when they let an accused go free or are they implementing the law? The fault always lies with the lack of due diligence and evidence collection.

In most civilized countries the law states that as long as there exists a reasonable doubt that the person has not committed the alleged crime, he/she must be let go. In most civilized countries to remove all doubt is the responsibility of the law implementing agency.

Allegations without concrete evidence is of no use .

If the ISI makes an allegation either because RAW/Mossad/CIA was actually invoved or simply to mask their incompetence --they need either to obtain some proof or manufacture it ...as long as it influences Public perception and stands in good stead in a court of law --the role played would be considered a success.

As is common knowledge --a lot goes on behind the scenes which is unknown to the public . It may not be pragmatic to reveal the finer details but officially revealed news ought to have some credibility---At least to assuage the public perception that they have indeed placed their faith and safety in the hands of a visible organization --ie the Civil administration or the Judicial system .
Not a spy-agency which by the very nature of its work would remain covert and shadowy.

The BIG terrorist that the ISI (oops, I mean MOSSAD AND CIA) kidnapped a week ago in BROAD daylight in front of his family etc has come back home. (yes, he was tortured as well.. but not for long.. ) SC took notice and agencies (indian ones according to members of this forum) were forced to release this "24 year old terrorist"

only fool will believe the ISI explanation to court.its good to blame others for their own sins and here this business runs sucessfully

We have to be supportive of the justice system in Pakistan. In our courts the Chief Executive, the ISI and former COAS have all been answerable to the law.

There is no force in the world that can say that a person will not get a fair trial in Pakistan.

our agencies have all the freedom to nail any one here and escape justice, now Jews/Hindus/Zionists are picking people to defame 'em... Absolutely ridiculous... :smh:

We have to be supportive of the justice system in Pakistan. In our courts the Chief Executive, the ISI and former COAS have all been answerable to the law.

There is no force in the world that can say that a person will not get a fair trial in Pakistan.

We must be supportive of all institutions in Pakistan

only fool will believe the ISI explanation to court.its good to blame others for their own sins and here this business runs sucessfully

Yea we know and need Indian's to tell us about our country

don't agree with u!!!:tdown:

What would stop them from attacking you tomorrow because you have a property dispute against an ISI officer's phupi ka larka?

If you say no to trial then you say no to trial for yourself too. Before they were judged and executed as terrorists they were simply Pakistani citizens. In such a case if an ISI officer had malicious intent or even plain incompetence then you are screwed. Why would you want to put yourself in that position?

What evidence to you have to suggest that something like this is happening

We must be supportive of all institutions in Pakistan

Yea we know and need Indian's to tell us about our country

incredibly...:smitten: same applies to u...

since u know RSS better than indians....

Back
Top Bottom