What's new

Military officers protest against ill treatment of Musharraf

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD: A group of military officers protested on Friday against what they called humiliating treatment being meted out to former military ruler retired Gen Pervez Musharraf.

A delegation of 75 officers from Command and Staff College, Quetta, led by Col Saqib Ali Cheema, met Chairman of the Senate Standing Committee on Defence and Defence Production Mushahid Hussain Sayed at the Parliament House and expressed concern over the arrest of the former president.

“The military officers were of the opinion that under the constitution the armed forces could not be criticised,” the source said.

Senator Hussain agreed with the views of the military officers and said: “We are all proud of professionalism of our armed forces and in the constitution judiciary and armed forces are national institutions which should not be subject to any kind of criticism.”

He told Dawn that the officers had asked him if there was anything in the constitution which allowed anyone to humiliate any institution. He said he had told them that the constitution had no provision to let any institution or any person humiliate any other institution.

Gen Musharraf returned to the country on March 23 to take part in active politics and contest the May 11 elections, but his nomination papers were rejected from the four constituencies selected by him. He is also facing two cases -- detention of judges in 2007 and assassination of former prime minister Benazir Bhutto -- and has been detained in his Chak Shahzad farmhouse which has been declared a sub-jail.

Senator Hussain praised the role of the armed forces and said valiant men in khaki were rendering tremendous sacrifices in the war against terrorism and extremism and fighting the battle for the country. “Pakistan today is a vibrant democracy and there are multiple power centres playing an effective role in strengthening democracy and democratic traditions in the country,” he was quoted as saying at the meeting.

It may be mentioned that some retired military generals have also criticised the way Gen Musharraf is being treated.

During the meeting with military officers, Senator Hussain talked about the proactive role being played by the upper house, including policymaking in areas of defence and on defence-related issues. The Senate, he said, was a representative body of all federating units and its role had become very curial in this regard.

An animated question-answer session followed the briefing and souvenirs were exchanged. Some of the questions were about civilian vision of civil-military relations and national defence strategy.

The military officers asked why education had not been given top priority in policymaking and what were the reasons for lack of legislation about terrorism.

Senator Hussain said: “Unfortunately certain sections of political elites did not see education as top priority.”

About the lack of legislation to curb terrorism he said it was up to the legislature, government and judiciary, but unfortunately parliament had failed on this front
dawn.com

Not good -- Mr. Musharraf is a man of character, he understood all the perils he would have to face, that his enemies had sharpened any number of knives to use against him, that the CJP, a vindictive venal man, means to make an example of him - and yet he came back and I salute his character.

The main purpose behind these acts of revenge disguised as legal process is political - lets see if those whose calculation is that they can strike several blows, both in Karachi and Rawalpindi, have over played their hand or not - in the meantime, political support is welcome but uniformed support plays into the hands of those who connive with the CJP

ISLAMABAD: A group of military officers protested on Friday against what they called humiliating treatment being meted out to former military ruler retired Gen Pervez Musharraf.

A delegation of 75 officers from Command and Staff College, Quetta, led by Col Saqib Ali Cheema, met Chairman of the Senate Standing Committee on Defence and Defence Production Mushahid Hussain Sayed at the Parliament House and expressed concern over the arrest of the former president.

“The military officers were of the opinion that under the constitution the armed forces could not be criticised,” the source said.

Real crazy things happen in Pakistan. It seems that even mid level PA officers can do stuff like this, Isn't the proper way to tell their senior officers their concerns & have them convey it to the appropriate authorities? Or is this deliberate to avoid any adverse remarks against senior officers? Someone shooting from over the shoulders of these officers.....?

@muse this so called man of character whom you are saluting is trying his level best to flee Pakistan now .
Only few days ago his lawer filled petition to let him go ,so that he can visit her 95 old year ailing mother .
I bet he won't come back to Pakistan ones allowed to go outside the boundaries of Pakistan under some silly pretexts or serious medical grounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he violated the laws of the land....he is liable no matter his position. That being said, he is at least due some respect of his office. (or previous office)

@muse this so called man of character whom you are saluting is trying his level best to flee Pakistan now .
Only few days ago his lawer filled petition to let him go ,so that he can visit her 95 old year ailing mother .
I bet he won't come back to Pakistan ones allowed to go outside the boundaries of Pakistan under some silly pretexts or serious medical grounds.

Your neta ji Subhash also flown out of subcontinent to avoid arrest by Britishers.

The case has many personal grudges by the lawyers hence fairness is not visible

Your neta ji Subhash also flown out of subcontinent to avoid arrest by Britishers.

There should be checks and balances to control the judiciary. It is going out of hand now.

Whatever the shape of his character, this is atleast the second instance where he has shown failure of strategic planning, Kargil being the other one. In both cases, the endgame seems not to have been clearly thought out.

Are you inviting trolls ???
Don't bring in Kargil , everytime mushy is discussed.

I know there are many Indians who hate Musharraf for what he did to them, but kindly lets not drag Kargil in every discussion.

Wasn't he your netaji ???

Netaji was freedom fighter and he flown out only to come back with full force.
How silly of you to draw compassion between the two, I would say it's close to idiocy.

What the heck?

A colonel goes from Staff College Quetta? It is purely a teaching institute for the bright minded, not a think tank. And why would a Colonel go? He isn't the commandant of the college or anything. Maybe he would be a CI but not a commandant that he has the authority to take 70 people from Staff College to Islamabad. Things are not done like this that a Colonel can just one day decide to straddle off with 70 other officers.

Something tells me that this is misreporting or a chunk of the news is missing.

Whatever the shape of his character, this is atleast the second instance where he has shown failure of strategic planning, Kargil being the other one. In both cases, the endgame seems not to have been clearly thought out.

I think you are allowing your perceptions to be painted by some very biased reporting -- It's emotionally satisfying for a segment of the media to see the once mighty humbled - and that's just life - some have argued that Musharraf was taken by surprise, by the reaction of his enemies, however, if you see his interviews, particularly his CNN interview in which the interviewer made the point that he had interviewed BB before she traveled to Pakistan and was killed and that he wondered if this was to be Musharraf's fate as well - Musharraf answered that he had considered this, that he was aware of the legal impediments awaiting him - and he still returned to face these - I think this does speak volumes about his character - recall this is the same person who as COAS, spent time with his troops inside enemy territory -- I can see the point of those who will say well this just shows his recklessness, I grant that it may, but I will challenge the notion that spending time with this men in enemy territory does not show his character.

To my thinking, look, already the govt has said it is not interested in pursuing an article 6 case against him, the UN inquiry does not suggest that he had BB assassinated and that leaves the case of the PCO judges - recall the CJP also took the oath under PCO - lets let the legal cases be done, however, and it is usual that he not be granted bail - after all, he did not come to just go away -- See, I think for his enemies, it would be a dream come true to ensure that he and hi supporters are made to be convinced that his life is in immediate danger and that he should leave

There should be checks and balances to control the judiciary. It is going out of hand now.

The media is now also saying the same thing

three types of dictators

1. Military

2. political and now

3. Judiciary /lawyers

The media is now saying that the last type is more dangerous since they are have political affiliations and act like political haywire activists attacking like gundas.

How is it reasoned that he harmed Pakistan? Not real familiar, except he did military rule, which from what I know is the norm there

Back
Top Bottom