What's new

MIG-21 crashes in Rajasthan, pilot dies

100 % right.Indian gov is playing with their lives.
there is already a union of mothers wives and sisters of IAF pilots which lose there lives in MIG-21 crashes . i watch a talk show before few months were a lady claim IAF put my son's life in risk .she claim my husband was pilot in IAF and he fly MIG-21 40 years before and now my son lose his life on MIG-21 .IAF use junk and kill our sons .

sorry i have no link of this as i see it on news channel not on INTERNET .

Sad news rip to the pilot .....

dude this MiGs are flying coffins except MiG-29 thats the only MiG jet in our inventory which has not 1 single crash to its name the MiG-27 has crappy engines and airframe that cracks if you use the 30mm cannon on it we've lost 13l MiG-27's since 2001 due to engine failures and other technical snags, one famous case was during the Kargil war when K Nachiteka MiG-27 engine failed and he had to eject the other pilot Ajay Ahuja MiG-21 was shot down by stinger missiles and his mutilated body was found several days later by IA soldiers

these MiG's are crap jets i thank god we did not pick the MiG-35 for our MMRCA but right now the MiG-21s (non upgraded) and the MiG-27's need to be put out of service immediately

ejection seat also malfunctined or it was just the old indian plane?

the pilot ejected but died because of injuries sustained while ejecting right now they are still conducting the investigation but my theory is that the crash was the cause of the planes old age and that the fighter must have been flying too low so when he ejected the fatal injuries were inevitable

ejection seat also malfunctined or it was just the old indian plane?

the pilot ejected but died because of injuries sustained while ejecting right now they are still conducting the investigation but my theory is that the crash was the cause of the planes old age and that the fighter must have been flying too low so when he ejected the fatal injuries were inevitable

well the parachute can deploy even when ejected from the ground....i think the cockpit canopy dident broke off and he broke through it while ejecting.

well the parachute can deploy even when ejected from the ground....i think the cockpit canopy dident broke off and he broke through it while ejecting.

yes a parachute can but imagine the high velocities of parachuting very low to the ground it is very easy to get fatally injured when you parachute close to the ground not to mention these old MiG fighters have dangerous ejection seats which can break a mans back

MiG crash in Bikaner

New Delhi, Aug. 2: A 24-year-old pilot was killed when his outdated MiG-21 fighter aircraft crashed at Nal near Bikaner in Rajasthan this afternoon.

Flying Officer Suraj Pillai from Kerala was practising a circuit of “overshoot” (touch-and-take-off) manoeuvres. The Type 96 MiG-21 aircraft — the same that have been dubbed “flying coffins” — crashed when he was aligning with the runway during landing.

Nal is a forward base of the Indian Air Force. Pillai was commissioned into the service recently. His parents and sister were given the news this evening.

Air force sources said the cause of the crash would be established by a court of inquiry.

This is the second crash of a MiG series aircraft of the IAF this year. A MiG-21 Bison crashed on February 4 because of a suspected engine snag while flying over Madhya Pradesh’s Sheopur district. The pilot survived.

There were 10 crashes of the IAF fighter aircraft in 2010.

In a written statement in reply to a question in the Lok Sabha today, defence minister A.K. Antony said there were 24 accidents of fighter aircraft in the last three financial years (2008-2009 to 2010-2011). Today’s crash takes the toll to 25.

Before the death of Pillai today, there were four air force personnel and five civilians who were killed in these accidents. A total of 24 civilians were also injured.

The defence minister said 23 per cent of the accidents (5.52) were caused by “human error”. The government has paid Rs 40 lakh as compensation to the next of kin of air force personnel killed and Rs 40.69 lakh as compensation to the next of kin of civilians and to injured civilians or for damage to property.

The old MiG-21 “interceptor” aircraft make up a bulk of the IAF’s fighter fleet. The other MiG series aircraft are the MiG-27 and the MiG-29.

The IAF has been wanting to replace the MiG-21 — that were inducted in the 1970s — for decades. An estimated $12 billion order for 126 medium multirole combat aircraft — for which the Eurofighter Typhoon and the Dassault Rafale are competing -— is part of the plan for the replacement of the MiG-21fleet. But the first of those aircraft is expected only in 2015.

RIP, how many more of these planes are left? why don't IAF retire them? they are causing such a great loss to IAF manpower.

MIG-21 crashes in Rajasthan, pilot dies

MIG-21 crashes in Rajasthan, pilot dies - India - DNA

A MiG-21 fighter aircraft today crashed soon after taking off from Naal airfield in Rajasthan's Bikaner district killing the pilot.

"The pilot ejected but died due to injuries sustained by him," defence spokesperson SD Goswami told PTI.

The MiG-21 'Type-96' aircraft was on a routine sortie and crashed near the airfield, which is about 15 kms from Bikaner city, he said.

This is the second crash of a MiG series fighter aircraft this year. On February 4, an IAF MiG-21 'Bison' fighter plane had crashed apparently due to an engine problem while on a routine sortie in Madhya Pradesh's Sheopur district but the pilot had ejected safely.

In 2010, a total of 10 IAF aircraft crashes took place including four MiG-27 and two MiG-21 planes.

dude this MiGs are flying coffins except MiG-29 thats the only MiG jet in our inventory which has not 1 single crash to its name the MiG-27 has crappy engines and airframe that cracks if you use the 30mm cannon on it we've lost 13l MiG-27's since 2001 due to engine failures and other technical snags, one famous case was during the Kargil war when K Nachiteka MiG-27 engine failed and he had to eject the other pilot Ajay Ahuja MiG-21 was shot down by stinger missiles and his mutilated body was found several days later by IA soldiers

these MiG's are crap jets i thank god we did not pick the MiG-35 for our MMRCA but right now the MiG-21s (non upgraded) and the MiG-27's need to be put out of service immediately

Are you sure about the bold part. Here are apparently two different incidents.

Indian Air Force jet crashes, pilot ejects safely

Air Force MiG 29 Fighter Jet Crashes; Pilot Ejects Safely

Apparently the pilot was not fully trained to operate the Mig-21.The problem here is lack of adequate trainers and also bad spares.

ok few PG for advance training its not harmful they will never fly daily CAP missions .but as per he tell us after 10 years its mean 2021 do you think we have f-7 in service 2021 ? no .its mean they are late 10 years in replacement plan .

Sirji,
Usually a plane life as around 35-40yr. as per some of early post i dnt understand why a plane induct in 2002 and retire (as per your comment) before 2021. only 18-19yr ???

how can you expect good training when IAf istruggling with the basic trainer..
now atleast the got good advance jet trainer..

Back
Top Bottom