What's new

Microsoft Vista Users ,Your opinion please !!!

that is a registry setting.

HKLM\CurrentContolset\Sessions\Management\memory\ClearPageFile set it to 0

Vista likes to empty it's swap file before shutting down..

I must admit, while I can steal the password hash from win2000, win XP, and win 2003, I can't with Vista..:angry:

While not a computer buff, I like to be familiar with the system. Regret to say that there is a "Planned obsolescence" in all software and hardware. Similar to the auto industry, which must bring out a new model each year even though, unless there is an inherent fault in last years model; there is really no need.

I was quite proficient with DOS 6.22 when they brought out the Windows. I didn't change to Windows 3.1 and skipped over to Windows 95. As I was getting comfortable with that Windows 98 was launched. I still have Windows 98 SE on one of the partitions on my desk top in London and find that it can do all that I need from a computer with no threat of new virus infection.
I did eventually switch to Windows XP Pro and lo , no sooner than I got used to that Windows Vista is launched.

My wife appropriated my laptop on a visit to Fujairah as her's was getting too old so I bought myself a new HP laptop with Vista already installed. I dont really find Vista any better for my needs. It takes longer at the start and when I shut down. My hard drive has already two partitions and I will try to install XP pro with SP on the 'D' drive when I go to London next. ( I dont have the CD in Fujairah). Dont know if Vista will let me install it though.

Call me old fashioned; but unless one plays a lot of music or games, I don't see any advantage of the Vista. My office computer still uses Windows 2000 which I find lot more stable than any other systems that I have used.

I'm building a new system with 8 gigs of Ram. Bring it on Vista!

Anything 4GB and above, you'll need a 64bit OS. So make sure you use Windows Vista 64bit.

The most stable of all Windows are the server class OS.

I used Windows Server 2003 all the time while everyone used XP. I hardly ever used XP.

The trick is to get a server class OS and re-enable all the thigns thats are normally disabled for a Server.

Similarly I'm expecting good stuff from Windows Server 2008. I used the beta version and it wasn't so bad.

WOW…that sounds heavy…

After reading all the valuable advices here and considering my systems specs , I think that I will stick with XP for the moment….:cool:

Anything 4GB and above, you'll need a 64bit OS. So make sure you use Windows Vista 64bit.

with 8GB RAM why not use win 2003 server enterprise 64bit??

Back
Top Bottom