What's new

Micromax becomes No 1 handset maker in India

SrNair

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Business Standard

Two major changes which has overturned the pecking order in the 20 million a month million mobile market has happened in close succession. Home grown mobile company Micromax has pushed out Korean giant Samsung to become the largest mobile company in the country for the first time.
According to Hong Kong-based Counterpoint Technology Market Research, Micromax has captured a 16.6% share in the overall handset market in India (which includes feature phone, smart-feature phones and smart phones), overtaking Samsung that has settled at 14.4%.
Nokia settled at the third spot with 10.9% share, followed by home-grown Karbonn at 9.5% and Lava at 5.6%.
In the smart phone sweepstakes, Motorola, which re-entered India taking the gamble of selling its devices only through one e-commerce site Flipkart has also stuck gold. It has pushed out Nokia from the fourth position in the smart phone pecking order in April-June quarter. In the first quarter of this calendar year Motorola was not even amongst the top five.
According to Counterpoint Technology Market Research, Motorola had a 4.3% market share in the quarter of April to June compared to Nokia which saw its share fall to 4%. The number one slot in the smart phone segment was won by Samsung which has a 25 .3% share, followed by desi mobile players Micromax (with 19.1% ) and Karbonn ( at 5.9% ).
“As per our long standing company policy, we do not comment on market share,” said Microsoft in an email response to Business Standard, when asked about the change in ranking.
The trend is reiterated in another survey undertaken by research firm Canalys which said that Motorola has shipped more than 1.3million smart phones during the past two quarters (January-June), while Nokia has shipped slightly lower about 1.2million units of smart phones.
Motorola of course surpassed Nokia only in the second quarter when it shipped 9.5 lakh units during April-June quarter. Nokia saw a major fall shipping only 6.3 lakh units during the same period. However in the first quarter of the calendar year Nokia shipped 5.8 lakh smart phones as compared to only 3.7 lakh units of Motorola.
Nokia and also Karbonn could face more competition from the Chinese. The newest kid on the block, China’s Xiaomi, which also sells smart phones exclusively through Flipkart, has sold 20,000 units in just about two weeks. Xiaomi, in a statement, has said that it sold the entire weekly stock in just five seconds.
India overall handset shipments share in April-June 2014 quarter

Company

Share (in per cent)

Micromax

Samsung

Nokia

Karbonn

Lava

Source: Counterpoint Technology Market Research

“We are working diligently with our manufacturing partners as well as our local partners andthe user community here in India to bring more devices and deliver the best possible product experience with Mi 3 and other models to come,” Hugo Barra, Vice President, Xiaomi Global said in a statement. Gionee which of course sells through stores is also pushing in the Indian market aggressively with average sales of around 300,000 to 400,000 units a month.
“The surprise performance was from Motorola thanks to its attractive but leaner portfolio and go-to-market strategy. The brand which could soon be part of Lenovo has built a strong base in the high volume India smart phone market, entering the top five rankings surpassing Nokia, Apple, Sony and others,” Counterpoint Technology Market Research said in its report.
Alcatel, which was the second handset maker after Motorola to tie up with Flipkart for sale of its handsets, had also said that the entire stock of Alcatel One Touch Idol X+smart phone were completely sold out within 24 hours of the launch. It sold about 5000 units. However, Alcatel, unlike Motorola and Xiaomi, also sells through offline retail.
The success of Moto G through exclusive e-retailing has helped Motorola, which was bought by China’s Lenovo for $2.9 billion from Google (approval pending), to emerge as one of the top five smart phone makers in India. Motorola launched Moto G in India towards the end of 2013, more than a year after it shut shop in one of the fastest growing smart phone markets in the world.
It has then launched Moto X, priced above Moto G and entry-level affordable Moto E.South Korean smart phone maker Samsung maintained its leadership with more than 4.4 million units shipped in the April-June quarter, followed by Micromax (3.1 million) and Karbonn (1.07 million).
Analysts say that the success of Motorola and quick sales of Xiaomi will attract more handset makers to take the online route over the traditional retailing whichmay also lead to price rationalisation.
“We will see intensified competition in the Indian smartphone space as Asian handset makers such as Xiaomi, Gionee, Huawei and Asus enter with premium-like hardware at an aggressive price-point attracting young tech-savvy but price-conscious urban buyers,” according to Counterpoint Technology Market Research.
India smart phone shipments share in April-June 2014 quarter

Company

Share (in %)

Samsung

Micromax

Karbonn

Motorola

Nokia

Source: Counterpoint Technology Market Research

* *Advertisements*

* Open an account and see your money multiply

Top Stories
* ITC hikes cigarette prices by up to 23%

Does micromax manufactures smart phones?- or just sells cheap chinese models by putting their label on it?-

Does micromax manufactures smart phones?- or just sells cheap chinese models by putting their label on it?-

I dont know that.But I have experience by using both micromax and chinese sets.
The chinese sets i bought for cheap price had 5 speakers extra bass and features etc.But in 2nd month chinese charger blown out and I bought another but after next 2 months phones itself becameca junk.
Then I bought a small micromax ,qwerty it had the same price of chinese but half of it features.
I used it for 4 years .Often I mishandled my micromax ,used in rainy set up.But stillit dont have any problem.
Later I bought ace duos.
Now I am planning for a canvas

The chinese sets i bought for cheap price had 5 speakers extra bass and features etc.But in 2nd month chinese charger blown out and I bought another but after next 2 months phones itself becameca junk.
Then I bought a small micromax ,qwerty it had the same price of chinese but half of it features.
I used it for 4 years .Often I mishandled my micromax ,used in rainy set up.But stillit dont have any problem.
Later I bought ace duos.

where does micromax manufacture their phones? in china?

Later I bought ace duos.

Micromax just sells rebranded Chinese mobiles.

Like all major electronics manufacturers, Micromax designs it's own products but gets them manufactured in China through contract manufacturers.

Micromax though, has recently opened a manufacturing facility in India, and that plant has started manufacturing smartphones in addition to tablets and LCD TVs. But most of it's products are still designed in India and manufactured in China.

Mostly from China, now they have setup a plant in UttraKhand Rudrapur.

that's good..but most manufacturing to be in india...india got huge population and cheap labor should not be an issue as its for apple/samsung..etc..

won't mind once manufacturing is shifted to india. ;D

But according to my experience micromax is way better than that chinese model .Absolutely reliable.

Most of mobile phone manufacturer uses chines facilities for manufacturing.But designing of system is in the hand of manufactures.

Later I bought ace duos.

Your experience, my axx. Dumb liar, Micromax are made in China re-branded and sold as Micromax in India.

Micromax Canvas 4 : Just Another Rebranded Chinese Phone

Exclusive: Truth behind Indian manufacturers's low cost Android Devices - Droidiser

that's good..but most manufacturing to be in india...india got huge population and cheap labor should not be an issue as its for apple/samsung..etc..

won't mind once manufacturing is shifted to india. ;D

The difference is that India lacks top-tier components manufacturers, which are the driving force behind contract manufacturing as per customized specifications. Such companies take orders from many companies across all continents, and such volumes are what drive prices down. Any dedicated manufacturing facility catering to a single company will find it hard to match their price offerings.

As
Nice story, you're the dumbest liar in PDF. Micromax are made in China re-branded and sold as Micromax in India.

Micromax Canvas 4 : Just Another Rebranded Chinese Phone

Exclusive: Truth behind Indian manufacturers's low cost Android Devices - Droidiser

Mr moron I dont claim whether micromax is rebranded or not.
I just pointed my experience .You can take it or leave it.That micromax is still is good working condition except some glitching due to the outdating of battery. Other wise it hd no other problem.

LOL They are not Q-Mobile :lol:
Micromax, Karbonn, Xolo smartphones are different in design than any other manufacturer :coffee:

Mr moron I dont claim whether micromax is rebranded or not.
I just pointed my experience .You can take it or leave it.That micromax is still is good working condition except some glitching due to the outdating of battery. Other wise it had no other problem.

You said your made in china phone lasted 2 mths, but Micromax 4 years. Well, Micromax is made in China too, LOL. What a dumbass!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom