Maybe we have forgotten Kashmir?

DroneAcharya

BANNED
Reaction score
Maybe we have forgotten Kashmir ?

By Yaqoob Khan Bangash
Published: December 10, 2012

477777-YaqoobKhanBangashNewagain-1355155481-420-640x480.JPG

The writer is the Chairperson of the History Department at Forman Christian College, Lahore

Last year, I wrote an article in this newspaper arguing that Pakistan should change its stance on Kashmir, not only for the sake of Kashmiris — who have fared well compared to Pakistanis lately — but for the sake of Pakistan itself. Arguably, Pakistan would be a much secure, stable, democratic and developed country if it were not for the Kashmir issue.

Last week, in a series of ‘Conversations’ I arrange at Forman Christian College between faculty and students, I chose the topic of ‘Kashmir Banega Pakistan’ (Kashmir will become Pakistan). After packed sessions on Balochistan and the Taliban, I expected the same nature of heated debate. As an added incentive, I convinced a former Pakistan Army captain, now a professor at FC College, who had seen live action in Kashmir, to come and share his personal experiences and thoughts.

However, what happened at this interactive session was rather revealing. Granted that this was a self-selecting group and not something a statistician would be happy with, but there were students from all four provinces of Pakistan and Gilgit, a good mix of men and women, a majority from the rural areas and a range of social and economic classes present.

While the session began with a good number of students, I could immediately sense that there was some lack of interest in the subject. I asked thrice if anyone present wanted to argue the traditional stance of Pakistan and no one spoke up. When cajoled further, one student made a lukewarm effort and said “we should remember Kashmir since our waters flow from there.” Except for this, there was nothing argued for Pakistan’s stance on Kashmir: no mention of Indian atrocities, no mention of the ‘unfinished business of partition’ and no Muslim brotherhood claims, either. The charged atmosphere and excitement of the previous sessions were almost the opposite of the dullness of this session. As the students petered off, we even ended the session early as no one seemed interested.

Having been raised in the 1990s where watching the ‘news’ from the Kashmir Cell was staple on the state-run Pakistan Television, I had expected a heated debate. Perhaps, if this session had been held in, say, 1992, there would have been a passionate debate. So what is different now? First, it is clear that the Kashmir issue was kept alive in Pakistan mainly through state propaganda. The everyday stories, some true, others embellished, of Indian atrocities in Kashmir were meant to emotionally charge Pakistanis against India. With only one television channel and a controlled populace, it was easy for the government to shape public opinion. The liberalisation of the media and the improvement of the situation in Indian Kashmir have obviously changed the ground reality. Secondly, almost 50 per cent of Pakistan is under 30 years of age and has little connection to Kashmir. While for the first generation of Pakistanis it was ‘their’ issue and the second generation inherited it from their parents, this third generation has no ties to Kashmir. Where in 1947, Pakistan was trying to augment a ‘moth-eaten’ country, young Pakistanis know well that keeping the current boundaries of the country is proving to be hard now. Talking about taking over a region which has no direct connection to them, except for religion, is like talking about merging Egypt and Pakistan. Thirdly, what this session showed was that young Pakistanis are primarily concerned about their own well-being and advancement — not some grand pious notions. Today, a typical young Pakistani would rather take a good job in India than maintain a belligerent attitude towards the country.

The best example of the lack of interest in Kashmir is the Difa-e-Pakistan Council itself. A motley of older gentlemen with extremist views on almost everything, the Council is a last ditch effort of a dying and increasingly irrelevant generation to keep issues of the past alive. Surely, if Pakistanis still passionately cared about Kashmir, the Council would not have to hold rallies to remind people to hate India.

Pakistan is finally making a break with the past, led by the younger generation where pragmatism, mutual cooperation and development, and peaceful coexistence can become the benchmarks of a future Pakistan. It is time that such an opportunity is seized and the Kashmir issue is resolved through a sensible solution and the agreement and mutual benefit of all parties, with old impractical and idealist postures abandoned. :tup: :tup: :tup:

Published in The Express Tribune, December 11th, 2012.

I think younger generation of India and Pakistan will rather take better decisions regarding Kashmir issue given that they have seen and grown up in the rise of terrorism period in both nations and its aftermath. Also, both generations look at global scenario and economic well-being of the country.

I think younger generation of India and Pakistan will rather take better decisions regarding Kashmir issue given that they have seen and grown up in the rise of terrorism period in both nations and its aftermath. Also, both generations look at global scenario and economic well-being of the country.
Unfortunately for Pakistan, the only prism it is being seen right now and will be in the foreseeable future is terrorism. Hence, any trump that it thinks it might have, will only fall flat as long as the internal fabric remains in the current state as it is seen. So, the best possible strategy for Pakistan now, is to keep the Kashmir issue hung on meat-hooks in the storage freezer, since that is exactly what it has become, stale and dead meat. In fact, as long as the Monkey Trap works, India will make sure Kashmiris will get good education, good jobs, and lead a good life well integrated into the mainland politic. People will soon come to realize that the Jamaatis are failures in the modern society, whether in Bangladesh, India or in Pakistan.

Its Awesome.
Perhas the nature...the source of data used to formulate the text is truely remarkable.

I Must say Even in India if Peace prevails no body really cares the boundaries.

Its Awesome.
Perhaps the nature...the source of data used to formulate the text is truely remarkable.

Its Awesome.
Perhaps the nature...the source of data used to formulate the text is truely remarkable.

By Yaqoob Khan Bangash

477777-YaqoobKhanBangashNewagain-1355155481-420-640x480.JPG

The writer is the Chairperson of the History Department at Forman Christian College, Lahore

Last year, I wrote an article in this newspaper arguing that Pakistan should change its stance on Kashmir, not only for the sake of Kashmiris — who have fared well compared to Pakistanis lately — but for the sake of Pakistan itself. Arguably, Pakistan would be a much secure, stable, democratic and developed country if it were not for the Kashmir issue.

Last week, in a series of ‘Conversations’ I arrange at Forman Christian College between faculty and students, I chose the topic of ‘Kashmir Banega Pakistan’ (Kashmir will become Pakistan). After packed sessions on Balochistan and the Taliban, I expected the same nature of heated debate. As an added incentive, I convinced a former Pakistan Army captain, now a professor at FC College, who had seen live action in Kashmir, to come and share his personal experiences and thoughts.

However, what happened at this interactive session was rather revealing. Granted that this was a self-selecting group and not something a statistician would be happy with, but there were students from all four provinces of Pakistan and Gilgit, a good mix of men and women, a majority from the rural areas and a range of social and economic classes present.

While the session began with a good number of students, I could immediately sense that there was some lack of interest in the subject. I asked thrice if anyone present wanted to argue the traditional stance of Pakistan and no one spoke up. When cajoled further, one student made a lukewarm effort and said “we should remember Kashmir since our waters flow from there.” Except for this, there was nothing argued for Pakistan’s stance on Kashmir: no mention of Indian atrocities, no mention of the ‘unfinished business of partition’ and no Muslim brotherhood claims, either. The charged atmosphere and excitement of the previous sessions were almost the opposite of the dullness of this session. As the students petered off, we even ended the session early as no one seemed interested.

Having been raised in the 1990s where watching the ‘news’ from the Kashmir Cell was staple on the state-run Pakistan Television, I had expected a heated debate. Perhaps, if this session had been held in, say, 1992, there would have been a passionate debate. So what is different now? First, it is clear that the Kashmir issue was kept alive in Pakistan mainly through state propaganda. The everyday stories, some true, others embellished, of Indian atrocities in Kashmir were meant to emotionally charge Pakistanis against India. With only one television channel and a controlled populace, it was easy for the government to shape public opinion. The liberalisation of the media and the improvement of the situation in Indian Kashmir have obviously changed the ground reality. Secondly, almost 50 per cent of Pakistan is under 30 years of age and has little connection to Kashmir. While for the first generation of Pakistanis it was ‘their’ issue and the second generation inherited it from their parents, this third generation has no ties to Kashmir. Where in 1947, Pakistan was trying to augment a ‘moth-eaten’ country, young Pakistanis know well that keeping the current boundaries of the country is proving to be hard now. Talking about taking over a region which has no direct connection to them, except for religion, is like talking about merging Egypt and Pakistan. Thirdly, what this session showed was that young Pakistanis are primarily concerned about their own well-being and advancement — not some grand pious notions. Today, a typical young Pakistani would rather take a good job in India than maintain a belligerent attitude towards the country.

The best example of the lack of interest in Kashmir is the Difa-e-Pakistan Council itself. A motley of older gentlemen with extremist views on almost everything, the Council is a last ditch effort of a dying and increasingly irrelevant generation to keep issues of the past alive. Surely, if Pakistanis still passionately cared about Kashmir, the Council would not have to hold rallies to remind people to hate India.

Pakistan is finally making a break with the past, led by the younger generation where pragmatism, mutual cooperation and development, and peaceful coexistence can become the benchmarks of a future Pakistan. It is time that such an opportunity is seized and the Kashmir issue is resolved through a sensible solution and the agreement and mutual benefit of all parties, with old impractical and idealist postures abandoned. :tup: :tup: :tup:

traitorous garbage newspaper. We Pakistanis have not forgotten Kashmir.

Just wait till the war in Afghanistan war is over.

Of course...We have waited for 65 year...So we are not in a hurry either...We can wait for another generation too...
But for the sake of our knowledge...are sure that Afgan war will be over one day???...Think about it....I was expecting more direct answer from you that irrespective of whatever happens to you...You will fight with us till eternity....

Again for me...Kashmir is a good tourist destination now days...Just completed a trekking and trip to Sri Nagar and Gulmarg...I feel proud for my security forces ....

By Yaqoob Khan Bangash

Today, a typical young Pakistani would rather take a good job in India than maintain a belligerent attitude towards the country.

I agree with the last part, that letting go of Kashmir for now is better for Pakistan..
but the writer is delusional if he thinks that ANY Pakistani other than him is hoping for a job in India.
Heck.. India does not even figure in the job market unless its an international thing.

At most, there are people that aspire to study in India due to the reputation of institutions.
But the fact is that many Indians have different expectations and aspirations in employment and also generally settle for harsher work environments during the start of their employment than Pakistanis would.
It has less to do with being an Indian, more to do with the immense competition there.
Why would anyone want to go into a market where you will be even more hard-pressed to perform for only a small increase in net basic pay.

:lol: :lol:

I agree with the last part, that letting go of Kashmir for now is better for Pakistan..
but the writer is delusional if he thinks that ANY Pakistani other than him is hoping for a job in India.
Heck.. India does not even figure in the job market unless its an international thing.

At most, there are people that aspire to study in India due to the reputation of institutions.
But the fact is that many Indians have different expectations and aspirations in employment and also generally settle for harsher work environments during the start of their employment than Pakistanis would.
It has less to do with being an Indian, more to do with the immense competition there.
Why would anyone want to go into a market where you will be even more hard-pressed to perform for only a small increase in net basic pay.

I dont think that the author meant the job comment in a literal way. It was more like, "They would rather have a job in India vs. fighting India"

religion clouds their rationality.

I dont think that the author meant the job comment in a literal way. It was more like, "They would rather have a job in India vs. fighting India"

Even in that context, which you are right is probably what it is but not seen thanks to the OP's needless bold and color rubbing it in... it is a little extreme. Pakistanis are interested in jobs.. but the value of India as a threat is yet to die down to that level where it may be said safely that I would rather work there or otherwise.

ironically though.. there are Pakistanis who are working in India where they have beaten the competition..
people like Shafqat amanat , Ali Zafar.. and Atif.. are some names.

Even in that context, which you are right is probably what it is but not seen thanks to the OP's needless bold and color rubbing it in... it is a little extreme. Pakistanis are interested in jobs.. but the value of India as a threat is yet to die down to that level where it may be said safely that I would rather work there or otherwise.

ironically though.. there are Pakistanis who are working in India where they have beaten the competition..
people like Shafqat amanat , Ali Zafar.. and Atif.. are some names

And beleive me...we are proud of the Pakistan that has such an wonderful person and talent like the ones you have specified...We respect you and your talents....We adore them and we love them ....because we feel that those artiste understand the meaning of love....

The Journalist should step outside of his classroom and speak to common people of Pakistan no one has forgotten Kashmir cause.

The Journalist should step outside of his classroom and speak to common people of Pakistan no one has forgotten Kashmir cause.

The only difference has been in its interpretation.
If we cannot support it militarily, speaking on it on such forums or in meetings otherwise is the best thing to do.
Moreover, the Journo's idea that the idea of Kashmir is being drummed in is a little to ridiculous.
The idea of a militant presence maybe.. not Kashmir.. the government speaks for the Pakistani people on Behalf on Kashmir and as compared to many statements that the government makes on issues ranging from Afghanistan to Floods.. there is never a protest or ridicule when the statement for Kashmir is made..everybody agrees with it.

Yes peace with India can be achieved regardless of Kashmir.. that I agree with the journo..
Kashmir cannot be the stumbling block anymore.

Back
Top Bottom