Country
Pakistan
Math wonderkid: Small-town genius
By Sarfaraz Memon
Published: January 7, 2014
655805-ShahzaibAliAbbasi-1389036473-457-640x480.JPG

Shahzaib Ali Abbasi. PHOTO: EXPRESS

SUKKUR:
He doesn’t want to become an engineer or doctor, but chooses to become a scientist and “serve the masses by overcoming the energy crisis”.

“Pakistan’s first Noble Prize-winning scientist Dr Abdul Salam is my ideal and I want to follow in his footsteps.” The young man uttering these words is from a small town of Sindh, and is an achiever making his country proud.

Shahzaib Ali Abbasi, 18, was declared top in the world for mathematics in the Cambridge O-level examinations held by the University of Cambridge, UK. He has also achieved regional distinction in O-level in computer studies. His latest achievement is getting the coveted honourable mention in International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO) 2013 held in Colombia, South America, and an honourable mention in the Asia Pacific Mathematics Olympiad, among other accolades.

Shahzaib is studying for his A-levels final from FFC Grammar School, Mirpur Mathelo, and his achievements have made his parents and teachers to walk with their heads held high.

Shahzaib said that he has received scholarship offers from King’s College, London; Bath University, UK, and the University of Hong Kong but he dreams of a bachelor’s degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the USA.

Talking about the IMO, Shahzaib said that students from more than 100 countries participated in the Olympiad. The eligibility for IMO itself is a tough task, and only the brightest students and some of the best minds in the world succeed.

His father Zulfiqar Ali Abbasi is an officer in the agricultural department; he was an aspiring cricketer in his youth. “It was my desire to play for Pakistan, but unfortunately I couldn’t make it,” said the proud father whose son is fulfilling many of his dreams.

“Shahzaib is not a bookworm. In addition to his studies, he makes time for sports. But when it comes to mathematics, he is crazy about it, so much so that while travelling he keeps a diary and pen ready and keeps solving mathematical problems,” said Zulfiqar.

Shahzaib’s father initially wanted his son to become a doctor but over time he has understood the importance of freedom of academic choice. “Now I just pray for him to succeed in every way.” Shahzaib’s younger brother Waqas and sister Rabia idolise Shahzaib and are following in his footsteps by excelling in their studies.

Behind many a successful child is a mother like Qamar-un-Nisa, Shahzaib’s mother, a teacher and lecturer at the FFC Grammar School. She is a gold-medalist who did her MSc in Chemistry from Shah Abdul Latif University, Khairpur. Narrating her son’s success story, the proud mother told that “Shahzaib always topped in the class since he was in grade three. As a child, he never bothered me with his studies. He seldom seeks help either from his teachers or parents.” Qamar further revealed that as a mother she has never shouted at him because he never gave her any reason to.

“Shahzaib is an asset for us and for the nation,” said Shahzaib’s grandfather, Mohammad Moosa Abbasi.

“It was a moment of pride for us when he was honoured in the mathematics Olympiad in Colombo and was handed the Pakistani flag,” said Mohammad Usman who teaches mathematics at Shahzaib’s school.

The youngster attributed his success to his parents and teachers, and expressed gratitude to God for making him capable of emerging successful each time. “My message to my fellow students and youngsters would be to seek education and keep an eye on their goals,” said Shahzaib, adding that there is no dearth of talent among Pakistani youth and they can do wonders if directed onto the right path.

Published in The Express Tribune, January 7th, 2014.

Back
Top Bottom