What's new

Massive Explosion Rocks Jhabua, Petlawad: Over At Least 100 Confirmed Dead

XiangLong

Reaction score
Country
China
A series of very unfortunate events has been plaguing Asia this month... First the explosion in Tianjin, then a few days ago, the crane incident in Mecca, and now this latest event in Petlawad... My condolences go out to the victims and their loved ones in these harsh times.

104 killed in Jhabua explosion; 'people were thrown away like pebbles'

More than 100 people were killed and about 150 injured when a massive blast triggered by mining explosives ripped through a packed restaurant in Madhya Pradesh’s Jhabua district on Saturday.

Witnesses first heard a small blast in a godown where gelatine sticks were stored just minutes before the powerful explosion tore through the store and the nearby restaurant in the town of Petlawad, reducing these buildings to rubble and leaving dozens buried under the debris.

"There was a huge ball of dust around and I saw people lying on top of one another, many of them dead and some screaming with pain. There was blood, gore and body parts all lying in a 50-ft radius," said Sharmila Kataria, a local resident.

Police and government officials said the casualties were high because the blast occurred at around 8:30 am when many office workers and schoolchildren were having breakfast in the restaurant. A large number of labourers waiting at a crowded bus stop in close proximity was another reason for the high death toll.

Soon after the blast, bodies covered in dust and ash lay in the streets alongside the twisted wreckage of burned vehicles while television footage showed scores of people and rescue workers using their bare hands to shift mangled heaps of steel and concrete of the ruined buildings.

ba51a3f2-6f3e-4ee4-85cc-0d5c32f10bc4wallpaper1.jpg

blast_pic1.jpg

By the evening, authorities had removed all the bodies from the site and moved the injured to a hospital, but the blast site resembled a war zone with flattened walls, a partially blown away roof, twisted metal, crooked fans and piles of debris.
Nearly 10 hours later, the smell of death still hung in the air and an uneasy silence prevailed as groups of people huddled on some streets whispering about one of the biggest explosions the town has ever seen.

"Initially, we heard the sound of crackers from a house that also has two shops on the ground floor. Later, when someone opened its shutter, a huge explosion took place, forcing people to run for cover," Balram, an injured labourer, told PTI in Jhabua district hospital.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed pain over the loss of lives in the explosion in Madhya Pradesh. "Extremely pained at the loss of lives due to the cylinder blast in Jhabua. My deepest condolences to the families of the deceased," he tweeted. "Wish all those injured a speedy recovery. MP Government is monitoring the situation closely."
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan also took to Twitter to express his sadness at the loss of life. "The Jhabua tragedy is heart wrenching. I offer my condolences to the families of the victims and pray for the speedy recovery of those injured," Chouhan said.

He offered compensation of Rs 200,000 to the families of the dead and Rs 50,000 to help the injured victims.

Last edited:
RIP

Police search for mining contractor wanted in deadly blast in India

By Harmeet Shah Singh and Ed Payne, CNN

Updated 1234 GMT (1934 HKT) September 13, 2015

150912082000-india-explosion-exlarge-169.jpg

People gather around the site of a deadly explosion in the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh on Saturday.

New Delhi (CNN)Authorities launched a manhunt Sunday for a mining contractor blamed in an explosion in central India that killed at least 89 people and inured dozens more.

Rajendra Kaswa is accused of storing explosives in a building that also contained residences.

"Our teams have fanned out across various parts to capture him," said Seema Alawa, a police official for Jhabua District in the state of Madhya Pradesh. Police have sealed off Kaswa's warehouses.

India has laws prohibiting commercial use of residential buildings, but they're rarely enforced. Buildings regularly house both.

Kaswa was storing licensed mining explosives, police said. A fire may have triggered the blast, but an inquiry has been ordered to determine the exact cause, Pandey said.

Some of the dead included customers at an adjacent restaurant. The impact of the blast was also felt across the road, where a few other houses also suffered damage, police said.

About 100 people were injured, said Arun Sharma, Jhabua's chief medical officer.

Blast in explosives building in India kills dozens - CNN.com

A series of very unfortunate events has been plaguing Asia this month... First the explosion in Tianjin, then a few days ago, the crane incident in Mecca, and now this latest event in Petlawad... My condolences go out to the victims and their loved ones in these harsh times.

104 killed in Jhabua explosion; 'people were thrown away like pebbles'

More than 100 people were killed and about 150 injured when a massive blast triggered by mining explosives ripped through a packed restaurant in Madhya Pradesh’s Jhabua district on Saturday.

Witnesses first heard a small blast in a godown where gelatine sticks were stored just minutes before the powerful explosion tore through the store and the nearby restaurant in the town of Petlawad, reducing these buildings to rubble and leaving dozens buried under the debris.

"There was a huge ball of dust around and I saw people lying on top of one another, many of them dead and some screaming with pain. There was blood, gore and body parts all lying in a 50-ft radius," said Sharmila Kataria, a local resident.

Police and government officials said the casualties were high because the blast occurred at around 8:30 am when many office workers and schoolchildren were having breakfast in the restaurant. A large number of labourers waiting at a crowded bus stop in close proximity was another reason for the high death toll.

Soon after the blast, bodies covered in dust and ash lay in the streets alongside the twisted wreckage of burned vehicles while television footage showed scores of people and rescue workers using their bare hands to shift mangled heaps of steel and concrete of the ruined buildings.

ba51a3f2-6f3e-4ee4-85cc-0d5c32f10bc4wallpaper1.jpg

blast_pic1.jpg

By the evening, authorities had removed all the bodies from the site and moved the injured to a hospital, but the blast site resembled a war zone with flattened walls, a partially blown away roof, twisted metal, crooked fans and piles of debris.
Nearly 10 hours later, the smell of death still hung in the air and an uneasy silence prevailed as groups of people huddled on some streets whispering about one of the biggest explosions the town has ever seen.

"Initially, we heard the sound of crackers from a house that also has two shops on the ground floor. Later, when someone opened its shutter, a huge explosion took place, forcing people to run for cover," Balram, an injured labourer, told PTI in Jhabua district hospital.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed pain over the loss of lives in the explosion in Madhya Pradesh. "Extremely pained at the loss of lives due to the cylinder blast in Jhabua. My deepest condolences to the families of the deceased," he tweeted. "Wish all those injured a speedy recovery. MP Government is monitoring the situation closely."
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan also took to Twitter to express his sadness at the loss of life. "The Jhabua tragedy is heart wrenching. I offer my condolences to the families of the victims and pray for the speedy recovery of those injured," Chouhan said.

He offered compensation of Rs 200,000 to the families of the dead and Rs 50,000 to help the injured victims.

I've heard these chemical explosions in Asia are a sign of low demand in the global market. No one is buying anymore so inventory is pilling up.

Back
Top Bottom