What's new

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy: The pride of Indian Army

ashok321

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Canada
http://www.oncars.in/car-news/maruti-suzuki-gypsy-the-pride-of-indian-army/11329

Maruti_Gypsy.jpg

Over the course of the last week, the crown of India, Jammu & Kashmir has witness the turmoil that has erupted in the valley. Here emerged some of the worse situations where our brave soldiers have to face our own brothers and sisters (residents of Jammu & Kashmir). Like this, most of the time Indian army has to serve their duties in hostile areas where they need a vehicle which is capable enough to tackle every terrain. The Maruti Suzuki Gypsy irrespective of being devoid of basic creature comforts of any modern day SUV, such as power steering, power windows, A/C among many, has been a staple vehicle of the Indian army since 1985 (inception year of this indigenous SUV). We find out what makes the Maruti Suzuki Gypsy a great vehicle for the Indian army.

GO Anywhere capability
From lifting it with helicopter to sail it across the channel via boat or drop it behind the enemy line by Indian Air Force planes such as C-17 Globemaster III and IL-76, Indian Army has done it all, thanks to its light weight nature which makes it superior than other bulky SUV's available in the country. Be it sand, slush or ice it doesn't get bogged down owning to its light weight.

b525df201b7185a20981bc2f1f6bd4ff_555X416_1.jpg

No modern day gadgetry
This might sound a little harsh but this makes the mountain-goat (Maruti Suzuki Gpysy) a simple vehicle with less fuss.

Amazing driving capability
Little did most of us know, that essentially the Gypsy is originally based on the long wheelbase Suzuki Jimny SJ40/410 series. It is primarily designed as an off-road vehicle or to take rough unprepared roads mostly, henceforth justifies the basic demand of the Indian Army. Also, it gets 4WD (four-wheel drive) system which further accentuates its off-roading intention.

Suspension
At this modern age, Maruti still continues to offer the Gypsy with leaf springs on all the four wheels which give it a robust character, however, at the cost of premium ride quality. which on the contrary is not a priority while being on a duty.

Easy modifications
From hard top to soft top to no top at all & a displaceable front windshield among many, the Maruti Suzuki Gypsy can be modified in many ways according to the demand and need of the hour. Also, the Gypsy even when loaded with up to 200 kgs of weight is stil drivable, another reason why it is used to carry army personnel and ammunition.

Engine
It is powered by a 1,298-litre, four-cylinder, petrol engine that produces 80 Bhp of power at 6,000 rpm and 103Nm of peak torque at 4,500 rpm. The engine can be further fine tuned for extra horses also. From icy terrain with sub-zero temperatures to the terrains with as high as 51 degree of blistering heat, the Gypsy takes all with ease.

Dimensions
Apart from the length, the Gypsy is smaller in each and every parameter when measured against its arch rival- the Mahindra Thar. Its compact dimensions help it to tread easily over narrow patches.

Made for War ? Yeah right . Let's have a look at some other vehicles made for war .

13268484_1043413202419404_4251433096305883564_o.jpg

navy-seal-patrol-vehicle-e1435352449577.jpg

hk3m7pakjzvbv2dgz5bw.png

n9ij4sxkqfqjlnjramml.jpg

oshkosh-joint-light-tactical-vehicle-jltv-united-states.jpg
Gypsy vehicles are also used for day to day transportation also apart from being used as fast attack vehicle by SF's. I think you mistook the vehicle.

India is a 3rd world country.
Why compare it with Superpower's Gizmos?

Sir

You need to Come Out Of Slave Mentality owned by Congress --The Country Doesnt think Like you.

Army is going for Make in India, which includes Best of Technology incorporation.
Defense Budget in actual is over 50 Bn -
We dont Beg for Weps --- How are we Poor Sir !!

Please do a favor to yourself by doing some Searching on Net how many Tpt Projects are there with Companies Participating.

Thank you.

Last edited:
India is a 3rd world country.
Why compare it with Superpower's Gizmos?
Gypsy vehicles are also used for day to day transportation also apart from being used as fast attack vehicle by SF's. I think you mistook the vehicle.

@ashok321 I quoted the term made for war . India might be a 3rd world country. But its army is not .

@Mustang06 I am well aware of the SF model which is having a low ground clearance for a purpose.

Sir

You need to Come Out Of Slave Mentality owned by Congress --The Country Doesnt think Like you.

Army is going for Make in India, which includes Best of Technology incorporation.
Defense Budget in actual is over 50 Bn -
We dont Beg for Weps --- How are we Poor Sir !!

Please do a favor to yourself by doing some Searching on Net how many Tpt Projects are there with Companies Participating.

Thank you.

The fact is that India is a 3rd world country.
Despite your rhetoric & ranting.
Is it hard to be realist and digest such fact?

@ashok321 I quoted the term made for war . India might be a 3rd world country. But its army is not ..

What is Indian Army without its weapons and its platforms (Maruti Gypsy included) ?

What is Indian Army without its weapons and its platforms (Maruti Gypsy included) ?

It doesn't mean that we still have to use Gypsy everywhere and in every roll . SF can look for new options which are actually "Made for war".

Indo China Border .. Army rolls in this .

906566d1332539480-soldier-fortune-wanderings-trusty-toyota-fortuner-indian-army-pajero.jpg

There are many developments going inside India such as these .

53127d1222461080-mahindra-axe-thread-axe2.jpg

Gypsy SF version - made it as light weight , low ground clearance , special suspension etc. Previous gypsies didn't had Shift on the fly . That means you can't shift to 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive if the vehicle is moving .

Okay wise-guy --
3rd World Countries by Definition were neither aligned to US or Russia. The term got deregatory as these nations didnt get ant aid thus were started to be counted as Poor. Did you know Pakistan was 1st World Country as it was aligned to Yanky-Doodle.

So am I poor ? Do I carry a Begging Bowl to IMF
Do I begg Ruskis or Yanks for Arms.
Sir - Please dont down ourselfs or my nation - Let your personal Opinions be "Personal"

You are emotionally charged dude sans any regards for the facts:

India has let down itself in the eyes of the globe when it has been published that India has more mobile phones than toilets.

45% Indian people squat in open.
Well, now this fact will certainly down your nation. But the reality cant be swept under the rug.

BTW, now, India is not known to be a developing nation anymore. Rather a lower middle-income country.
Will you fight with IMF which changed the terminology?

On "Pakistan was 1st world country" you deserve an Oscar & a Nobel prize combined.

I wasted my precious few minutes with you by even refusing a incoming call from my girl friend.

Have seen lot of posts, but your (this) post takes the cake.

Have a good day.

It doesn't mean that we still have to use Gypsy everywhere and in every roll . SF can look for new options which are actually "Made for war".

Indo China Border .. Army rolls in this .

906566d1332539480-soldier-fortune-wanderings-trusty-toyota-fortuner-indian-army-pajero.jpg

There are many developments going inside India such as these .

53127d1222461080-mahindra-axe-thread-axe2.jpg

Gypsy SF version - made it as light weight , low ground clearance , special suspension etc. Previous gypsies didn't had Shift on the fly . That means you can't shift to 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive if the vehicle is moving .

You are presenting Mahindra now as if thats better than the other US options that you listed in the beginning.
If it is not, whats yr point?

Crux of the matter.
Indian Jeep/SUV like Maruti cant be compared with those of US.
Simply because India is not a rich country to splurge money on its R&D, neither it has such sophisticated technology. And this is the conventional wisdom. Why argue?

You are presenting Mahindra now as if thats better than the other US options that you listed in the beginning.
If it is not, whats yr point?

Crux of the matter.
Indian Jeep/SUV like Maruti cant be compared with those of US.
Simply because India is not a rich country to splurge money on its R&D, neither it has such sophisticated technology. And this is the conventional wisdom. Why argue?

You are missing the whole point . I was referring the term " Made for War " .That's why those US Pics. Gypsy is not made for war. When was the last time Gypsy evolved to the future ? Saktiman Truck changed to Mahindra and TATA new models. I don't know why Army didn't find any problem with Gypsy while they found many in MBT Arjun.

Indian companies are investing in these kind of projects . TATA and Mahindra are some among them . They started it in recent years and Im sure that they will produce good results and chances for JV is for sure.

I'm not a representative of Mahindra but are you a representative of Suzuki Gypsy ?

You are missing the whole point . I was referring the term " Made for War " .That's why those US Pics. Gypsy is not made for war. When was the last time Gypsy evolved to the future ? Saktiman Truck changed to Mahindra and TATA new models. I don't know why Army didn't find any problem with Gypsy while they found many in MBT Arjun.

Indian companies are investing in these kind of projects . TATA and Mahindra are some among them . They started it in recent years and Im sure that they will produce good results and chances for JV is for sure.

I'm not a representative of Mahindra but are you a representative of Suzuki Gypsy ?

Your post:

SF can look for new options which are actually "Made for war".

And you appended Mahindra Jeep, as if that is made for war?

Never rode in a Gypsy but I always found it to be too small and puny. A larger width and longer wheel base would have done a better job. Even Mumbai police had many limitations if they had to pack 2-3 criminals in the rear section of the Gypsy. It looked like a mismatch of Indian sizes and functionality of volume.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom