What's new

MARTIAL LAW TOMMOROW!

Keysersoze

Reaction score
According to reports on ARY Martial Law will be declared tommorow....

What, Martial Law in Pakistan!!!!!!
Does that mean Election went to the dumps?

AoA
Keysersoze I would make it emergency. Different than Martial Law.Atleast GEO is reporting emergency and not ML.

Emergency martial law possible in next 48 hours

ISLAMABAD: An important decision regarding an emergency or a possible martial law is imminent in the country within the next 48 hours.

President Musharraf is busy in consulting his associates and legal experts over the issue, whence he has been known to have been advised by his associates to implement a limited emergency, but some are also known to have favored a martial law. However no final decision has been taken in this regard. The factors cited for this sensational decision pertain to current turmoil in the tribal regions of Pakistan, increased acts of terrorism and extremism, and a general scenario of political instability in the Country. Despite the fact that the intent has been refuted by President Musharraf and his spokesman Gen. Rashid Qurieshi, "sources" insist on their "story", claiming that "consultations" are quite active on behalf of the President over the issue. Opposition`s and public reaction is also under active consideration, while his associates have expressed more concern about the possible severe reaction from the lawyers` community and public, while opposition would only (as usual) try to make an issue of it. However, it is likely to create quite a problematic issue for the President, hence he has been advised a careful evaluation and well thought out strategy regarding the decision, and President`s men have advised him to take advanced measures and steps against any possible severe backlash. Sources claim that the situation would be clarified today, Thursday or tomorrow, Friday, while attorney general of Pakistan, Malik Qayyum and (President`s) legal expert, Sharifuddin Pirzada have already met President Musharraf and PM both. It has been learnt that PM, Shaukat Aziz also stands by the decision.

http://www.onlinenews.com.pk/details.php?id=116135

With the amount of bombings and attacks happening, a right choice I think. But how much this will solve the problem in a country which is already under martial law to begin with, I have no idea.

With the amount of bombings and attacks happening, a right choice I think. But how much this will solve the problem in a country which is already under martial law to begin with, I have no idea.

Hehehe, you dont know what Martial Law is. :enjoy:

I think Martial Law would be quite good. :mod:

Webby,

What do you call a country run by the army?

And I agree, Pakistan needs its boots out of the barracks and on the streets now.

Martial law is government by military authorities when the normal machinery of civilian administration has broken down as a result of disaster, invasion, civil war, or large-scale insurrection. .

martial law
n.
Temporary rule by military authorities, imposed on a civilian population especially in time of war or when civil authority has broken down.
The law imposed on an occupied territory by occupying military forces.

http://www.answers.com/topic/martial-law?cat=biz-fin

Sir,

I think you dont know what martial law mean?

Martial Law is different from state of Emergency. In the case of former, Army officers take over governance at Federal and local level. In the latter's case, the government functions at the local and state level. The difference is that the normal running of the parliament stops and the elected officials no longer yield any power. The basic rights of the citizens can also be altered by the entity (President) declaring a state of emergency without a challenge.

The Government of India has declared similar State of Emergency 3 times since independence.

I agree the situation is worrisome in Pakistan, declaring Emergency is the right thing to do for now but should not result in another Martial Law.

I hope Mush survives yet another crisis.

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Private Pakistani television channels reported on Wednesday that President Pervez Musharraf was preparing to declare a state of emergency imminently, but government spokesmen denied there were any such plans.

State-run Pakistan Television quoted official sources as saying the reports were baseless and Information Minister Mohammad Ali Durrani denied to Reuters that a meeting had been held to discuss the imposition of an emergency, as rumors swept the country.

A member of the inner circle of the Pakistani leadership told Reuters, however, that U.S. ally Musharraf was considering the option, which could allow him to extend the tenure of the national and provincial assemblies by 12 months and delay elections due by the turn of the year.

The government could explain such a step by citing growing insecurity because of the threat posed by Islamist militants allied to the Taliban and al Qaeda after a series of attacks, many of them by suicide bombers, in the past month.

Political analysts and opposition leaders, however, have feared that Musharraf, who is going through his weakest period since coming to power in a 1999 coup, might resort to an emergency because of difficulties he faces in getting re-elected by the sitting assemblies, while still army chief.

"Both internal and external threats are such that you cannot rule out anything. At the moment there is no emergency. We have said that options are available with the government," Deputy Information Minister Tariq Azim Khan told Geo TV, one of the channels reporting that the measure would be announced soon.

The United States has put Musharraf under pressure to act against al Qaeda nests in hostile tribal regions on the Afghan border, such as North Waziristan.

Western countries with troops in Afghanistan are sensitive to any instability in nuclear-armed Pakistan, whose help is crucial to fighting the Taliban insurgency and in counter-terrorism operations against al Qaeda.

SHORT OF SUPPORT

A not-so-secret meeting in Abu Dhabi in late July with former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto, leader of the largest opposition party, to try to agree terms for power sharing was indicative of how desperate Musharraf's position had become.

Musharraf wants to be re-elected in uniform between mid-September and mid-October before national and provincial assemblies are dissolved for parliamentary elections due in December or January.

Although Musharraf can command the simple majority needed to win re-election in the assemblies, he is likely to face multiple constitutional challenges.

The Supreme Court's decision on July 20 to reinstate a chief justice Musharraf had spent four months trying to sack heightened expectations that those challenges could well be upheld.

Musharraf would need a two-thirds majority in the National Assembly to change the constitution, and avoid challenges in the Supreme Court, but for that he would need Bhutto's help.

She wants Musharraf to quit the army and guarantee free and fair elections before she will countenance any deal.

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSISL16312820070808?feedType=RSS&rpc=22&sp=true

Back
Top Bottom