What's new

MARTIAL LAW TO SAVE THE COUNTRY?

i.... like to see martail... law.. as soon as posible, i mean next minute as the clock is ticking.... also , i would like to see a real shut down of GEO-TV same time, same day plus NRO cancelled.

i love to see democracy in pakistan but surly, chor ZARARI & thagg NAWAZSHARIF........ not included!!!!

If Mush is going to do it .Believe me people would bring in a revolution.

by the way he is already cornered .Dont know whats going to happen on 10 june when lawyers,ex service men ,APDM are going to besiege him in his bunker.

May be kiyani would tell him to get the hell out of army house as there are rumours that Mush has been ordered to mover from army house.

THE MAN IS RUNNING FOR HIS LIFE.

You are advising him to enforce martial law.:hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

Enforce martial law. BUT HOW.Army has already distanced it self.
DONT DREAM ON .THERE ISNT GOING TO BE ANY MARTIAL LAW ,I BET.

If hypothetically there is then Inshallah I would the first person to come on the roads of Pakistan.

Democracy takes time to settle.IF YOU DONT LIKE ZARDARI NAWZ.then let them rule and people would get the hell out of them in next gen elections.

People like Zardari and Nawaz are surviving on political scene just because army never lets them complete their tenure.then they have this excuse AAAAAAAAhhhhhh!!!!1 we werent given time and then they lure Pakistani people.ONCE YOU GIVE THEM TIME.people are going to bury them in 5 years.SOME THING ARMY HASNT BEEN ABLE TO DO IN 3 DECADES.

one short answer is.. NO MORE MARTIAL LAW...TO HELL WITH MARTIAL LAW...!!

thats the "VOICE OF PEOPLE OF PAK"

Allah hafiz

one short answer is.. NO MORE MARTIAL LAW...TO HELL WITH MARTIAL LAW...!!

thats the "VOICE OF PEOPLE OF PAK"

Allah hafiz

No thats YOUR opinion...and maybe a few others.
NIce of you to take away the rights of others to have a opinion separate from you.

No thats YOUR opinion...and maybe a few others.
NIce of you to take away the rights of others to have a opinion separate from you.

On a related point.......How is it that the "voice of Pakistani people" is in the UK?
Or does being the voice of the people not require you to be actually WITH the people :lol:

BTW whilst you are here avail yourself of some of the education you can get in the UK. maybe you will make more sense then.

On a related point.......How is it that the "voice of Pakistani people" is in the UK?
Or does being the voice of the people not require you to be actually WITH the people :lol:

BTW whilst you are here avail yourself of some of the education you can get in the UK. maybe you will make more sense then.

sir,

with all respect, I bet if you go for public opinion poll on martial law 99% will say NO whereas 1% will be the one representing ur opinion.

was salaam,

ali.

with all respect, I bet if you go for public opinion poll on martial law 99% will say NO whereas 1% will be the one representing ur opinion.

For some reason Martial Law has been given such a bad name. When in fact during Martial Laws Pakistan was most stable and peaceful(excluding the 1971Martial Law).

The people of Pakistan must get use to the imposition of Martial Law. Judging by the facts that our politicians have not changed a bit, the onlly option would be the imposition of Martial Law by the Army.

Democracy is the only way forward. Democracy must be given chance to flourish. Mind set of the people of Pakistan has been changed by the commentators and the generals who have constantly declared that only army can save the nation. This is not correct. Infact martial laws have been one of the problem for Pakistan. Its a long debate and negatives of martial laws can be explained not in paragraphs but in pages. Unfortunately at the moment I can not explain in detail.
All are requested to leran from the past mistakes and do not repeat them. Democarcy is the only way forward.

Democracy is the only way forward. Democracy must be given chance to flourish. Mind set of the people of Pakistan has been changed by the commentators and the generals who have constantly declared that only army can save the nation. This is not correct. Infact martial laws have been one of the problem for Pakistan. Its a long debate and negatives of martial laws can be explained not in paragraphs but in pages. Unfortunately at the moment I can not explain in detail.
All are requested to leran from the past mistakes and do not repeat them. Democarcy is the only way forward.

Well said democracy is the only way foward. When the Quaid-I-Azam created Pakistan he declared we would be a democratic nation. But at the same time I realize we nee real politicians to have democracy. Democratic periods in Pakistan have been the most violent. The Generals are not the problem, nut it is our politicians who are the poblem. They must act like real politicians. When ever the Army has taken over it has been widely supported by the people of Pakistan and then these same people curse the Army. I can say it with full confidence that their will be another coup in the future and once again the peopl will support it, becuse our politicians have failed the people. It is a never ending cycle with us.

In support of relent

In that SHORT span of 2 years BEFORE 9/11,
1-Pakistan’s revenue increased from Rs.308 billion to become Rs.395 billion.
2-Exports increased from $7.5 billion to become $9.2 billion.
3-Foreign Reserves increased from $1 billion to become $3.25 billion.
4-Debt servicing as a ratio to Revenue decreased from 65% to 57%.
5-Public and external debt as a percentage to Foreign exchange earnings declined from 300% to 250%.
6-Current account deficit decreased from $2.4 billion to become $510 million. 7-Pakistan’s large-scale manufacturing grew by 11% in June 2001 against 3.5% in 1998.

1- In 1999, Revenue generation of around Rs.308 billion could not meet the growing expenditure requirements; with only an average of Rs.80 billion being spent on Public sector development programs (PSDP) annually, and no visible project to boast about.
2- From this Rs.308 billion around 65% was being utilized for debt servicing.
3- In 1988 Pakistan’s foreign debt was $18 billion, but at the end of 1999 it had accumulated to become $38 billion. A 100% increased burden on the already crippled economy.
4- Public and external debt exceeded 300% of Foreign exchange earnings. Pakistan had become a highly indebted poor country.
5- Poverty levels also increased to become 35% according to economic survey.
6- Foreign reserves ONLY $700 million.
7- Foreign investment less than $1 billion
8- Exports stagnated at $7 billion.

I still don’t see a connection between military dictatorship and development. If there would have been a democratic government, the numbers would have been the same.

National Assembly even now is rubber stamp parliement, under PPP and PML-N. Even the toilet of Zardari house is used more than Parliament currently.

1- Constitutional package is being discussed every-where BUT parliament.
2- Judges restoration is being talked every-where i.e London, Muree, Dubai, etc BUT Parliament.
3- Elections cancelled at Rehman Malik's directives. Not discussed at Parliament.
4- Attack at Bajour. No mention in Parliament.
5- Every political discussion is taking place in Zardari House - BUT parliament.
6- Zardari House is currently more important than Parliement.
7- The constitutional package will be brought in Parliament for RUBBER STAMP of decisions by Zardari & Rehman malik.

We have puppet Prime Minister with Zaradri behind.

We have puppet CM Khosa in Punjab with Shabaz Sharif behind.

Musharraf's era was much better and Shaukat Aziz was given free hand on Economic & finance. Yet, political decisions were taken by PML-Q decisions, as Shaukat Aziz was not political.

Welcome to democracy; the elected leaders call the shots. If these elected leaders are backed by father figures, it is these who call the shots. The reason why Zardari is so powerful is that there is no “opposition.” Once that happens, things might change. Mind you, Zardari can be thrown out by the civil population.

yes, all the constructions by City Nazims are directly benefiting the public.

1-Numerous Parks made under this system.
2-Several bridges and underpasses accomplished.
3-Civic ammneties much better.

I'll paste its accomplishments later.

Yes its facts that earlier there were TWO channels and now there are above 50 channels. Wikepedia has named all of them in Pakistan Media.

I agree; I’m also not saying that Musharraf has not done anything for Pakistan. But he, like all military dictators, has ensured that the country is solely dependent on him; there are no national level civil institutions in your country; this is Pakistan’s biggest headache. Democratically elected leaders do not mess the country’s institutions so badly.

We needed effective strategy after 9/11. WoT is primarily for us:

0- Army's patrolling of our borders.
1- To stop any infiltration from Afghanistan into NWFP.
2- Stop cross border terrorism into Pakistan's NWFP areas.
3- Stop refugees to cross into PAK>
4- Stop weapons and ammunitions crossing into PAK.
5- Sucide bombers have crossed alot, this patrolling has decreased this level to lowest possible.
6- Stop crossing over of Uzbeks, Afghans, Tajiks, etc into PAK.

Actually, we have two types of dictators: Military Dictators & Democratic dictators!

Both abuse each other BUT the democractic dictatros also abuse Pakistan!

Musharraf era has seen many developments! :pakistan:

If there would have been no 9/11, the world would have been the same: Taliban rule in Afghanistan, etc.

With Afghanistan now being taken over by the US, these extremists have decided to target Pakistan.

Democratic rulers are elected by Pakistanis; they are not dictators.

Military dictators have abused Pakistan far more than democratically elected leaders.

Right Side News | Home

Pakistan's Army and the New State

June 4, 2008

Stratfor Geopolitical Diary

Pakistan continues to simmer. One of the two four-star generals in Pakistan’s army, Chairman of the Joints Chiefs of Staff Committee Gen. Tariq Majeed, said Monday that cross-border missile strikes into Pakistan’s tribal belt are killing civilians and contributing to the popular perception that U.S. military operations in the region are “anti-Islam.” His comments came the same day that a suicide bomber struck the Danish Embassy in Islamabad, killing eight people and wounding two dozen others.

Pakistan’s new government is facing the same balancing act that plagued President Pervez Musharraf prior to the Feb. 18 elections. Pakistan is a frontline U.S. ally in Washington’s war against jihadists, but the U.S.-Pakistani relationship has entered uncharted territory with a new civil and military leadership having replaced Musharraf’s hybrid civil-military system. Washington is concerned that the new government’s approach to Islamist militants — that is, negotiating with them — will only strengthen the jihadists. Meanwhile, Islamabad cannot afford to be perceived domestically (either by voters or by jihadists) as putting Washington’s interests above those of Pakistanis or of Muslims generally.

Another, far more dangerous indicator of how uncertain things have gotten in Pakistan has surfaced in the last few days: A.Q. Khan has come out saying that his 2004 confession claiming he sold nuclear technology to North Korea, Iran, and Libya was made under duress, having been forced by Musharraf.

Despite his international reputation of running a nuclear arms syndicate, Khan is still a national hero in Pakistan and it is likely that he is trying to take advantage of the new political circumstances to rehabilitate himself (or is being used by those forces within Pakistan who are trying to get rid of Musharraf). But regardless of the reasons, Khan’s retraction is important because it reopens an all-but-shut case and potentially implicates the military in nuclear proliferation.

Hardly anyone believed that Khan alone was responsible for passing along nuclear technology — but because Musharraf was firmly in control at the time and had a special relationship with the Bush administration after 9/11, the United States agreed not to pursue the matter once Khan confessed and was placed under house arrest. All along it has been an open secret of sorts that Khan was carrying out orders from the top generals of the Pakistani army — who, after all, have always had full control over the country’s nuclear assets.

All of this matters a great deal because the army is the ultimate guarantor of the Pakistani state, but its role in governance has become uncertain since Musharraf was forced to give up his military title and become a purely civilian president. Along with Musharraf, the army has seen its power weakened by the recent changes in Pakistan. For Khan to retract his confession opens the door for fingers to point at the military, and creates a new source of pressure and a potential challenge to the army’s power. The army is also the same institution that for decades nurtured Islamist militant groups as domestic and foreign policy tools — and these groups are now also challenging the writ of the state within Pakistan.

What happens to Musharraf or Khan or any other individual is of very little consequence. What is crucial is whether the military will reassert control over the state, or whether the old system will be replaced with a new one (or with anarchy). It is unlikely that civilian leadership will be able to replace the army as a force to unite Pakistan.

Thus, issues such as nuclear proliferation and the state’s relationships with Islamist militants (most of whom are less and less amenable to control by the government or the military) are becoming critical concerns. It is in the interest of the new military leadership to make a push to reassert its power — but the army as an institution is under a great deal of strain from the ongoing instability and insecurity in the country. We continue watching Pakistan to see whether, or when, the crisis will reach a break point.

Actually, martial law is needed in my opinion and better than democracy for Pakistan's case. Democracy only works well under a set of conditions. One of those conditions is people are educated enough and poverty is not rife. When you have a situation where politicians, no I mean oligarchs, are allowed to run contest elections in a poor country then they end up buying the vote. Bush might be rich, but not as rich as NS I suspect, and NS can buy 1 vote for 1 rupee (probably equal to 1 cent), it would need Bush around $100,000 to buy the vote of even 1 person.

So until these conditions are corrected, there's no point in having democracy in Pakistan unless you want the country to go to waste in the meantime for the next few decades. Already the macroeconomic situation has declined in Pakistan. Excuses will come of course, but the trend is painfully obvious to see. When Bhutto and NS are in power, the Pakistani economy nears deafult, when Musharraf is in power the Pakistani economy is bullish, credit rating high, macroeconomic indicators good, when Zardari takes over macroeconomic indicators are poor again.

Pakistan's macroeconomic outcome for FY08 has deviated considerably from the original projections. This has necessitated re-examination of the monetary policy framework that was based on different assumptions related to fiscal and external current account deficit as well as output growth and inflation.

The slippages in twin deficits and borrowings of the govt from the SBP have grown persistently every month. Equally concerning is steady rise, but now a sharp spike in year-on year indicator of food inflation.

SBP hikes interest rates | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

Actually, martial law is needed in my opinion and better than democracy for Pakistan's case. Democracy only works well under a set of conditions. One of those conditions is people are educated enough and poverty is not rife. When you have a situation where politicians, no I mean oligarchs, are allowed to run contest elections in a poor country then they end up buying the vote. Bush might be rich, but not as rich as NS I suspect, and NS can buy 1 vote for 1 rupee (probably equal to 1 cent), it would need Bush around $100,000 to buy the vote of even 1 person.

So until these conditions are corrected, there's no point in having democracy in Pakistan unless you want the country to go to waste in the meantime for the next few decades. Already the macroeconomic situation has declined in Pakistan. Excuses will come of course, but the trend is painfully obvious to see. When Bhutto and NS are in power, the Pakistani economy nears deafult, when Musharraf is in power the Pakistani economy is bullish, credit rating high, macroeconomic indicators good, when Zardari takes over macroeconomic indicators are poor again.

Pakistan's macroeconomic outcome for FY08 has deviated considerably from the original projections. This has necessitated re-examination of the monetary policy framework that was based on different assumptions related to fiscal and external current account deficit as well as output growth and inflation.

The slippages in twin deficits and borrowings of the govt from the SBP have grown persistently every month. Equally concerning is steady rise, but now a sharp spike in year-on year indicator of food inflation.

SBP hikes interest rates | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

RR-thats a internal view only - in this time and age if martial law is imposed, we will be isolated in a jiffy. even china our steadfast friend might have difficulty in supporting us.

Democracy is the best because in democracy every politician sooner or later has to face the people. In this way if he has done nothing he is kicked out. If we let democracy work in Pakistan for say around 20 years then I am confident that most of the corrupt politicians will be wiped out. If one looks at the period 1988 to 1999 then one notices that some of the corrupt politicians lost the elections and were no more a part of the system. Even Mr. Zardari is not a member of National Assembly.

Back
Top Bottom