What's new

Marketing: The Shariah Way

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Marketing professionals, throughout their careers, face ethical dilemmas. It becomes tough when one has to market a product whose consumption is unhealthy and unsafe like cigarettes. Advertising professionals do introspect about their own campaigns as whether these campaigns were misleading and unethical . Companies marketing essential items find themselves in a tight spot when they themselves feel that price fixed for it is predatory.

Morality and religion teach us to be truthful, honest, free of deception but the real world forces us not to follow these very basic guidelines. A successful American entrepreneur, author and public speaker, Seth Godin wrote in his bestseller All Marketers Are Liars: The Power of Telling Authentic Stories in a Low Trust World. ”All marketers tell stories. And if they do it right, we believe them. We believe that wine tastes better in a $20 glass than a $1 glass. We believe that an $80,000 Porsche Cayenne is vastly superior to a $36,000 VW Touareg, even if it is virtually the same car. We believe that $225 Pumas will make our feet feel better–and look cooler–than $20 unbranded ones. . . and believing it makes it true.”

If modern marketing is all about believing and convincing your customers to demand a product that fulfills their desires; how can marketers be truthful in selling a product honestly and ethically? Some of these valid questions were addressed by a very successful entrepreneur, founder and CEO of one of the largest food companies of Pakistan, at a talk delivered by him which revolved around ethical dilemmas faced by marketers. He recommended the audience, a mix of young and experienced marketers, to indulge themselves in “Shariah Compliant Marketing”.

The distinguished speaker who once worked in the advertising sector emphasized that since Islam is a complete code of life, our professional and business dealings should strictly adhere to Shariah. If we lead a simple life by following Quran and Shariah, we as marketers will only focus on the needs of the market and not on the wants and desires of the customers. This should be done because desires are unbridled and in a way contrary to the teachings of Islam. By creating desires we are going against what is ordered by Allah. There is a Hadith of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) “He who has unlimited desires is deprived of the wealth of contentment.” Besides religion, it has societal impact like a whitening cream marketed in dark skin countries cannot make a person similar to European fair skinned females after usage as shown in the advertisement.

Marketing spend should not be extravagant but reasonable. When companies allocate a significant portion of their budget in marketing, their product adds to the costs. As a consequence, the price of the product increases which adds to the worries of a common man. Rather than spending heavily on marketing companies should divert that budget to the uplift of society, which according to him will uplift the image of the company. This image building will translate into brand building.

Advertising should be free of manipulation, deception and sexual appeal. Advertising and marketing professionals should be truthful and honest. Basic purpose of advertising should be informing the public. He shared example of success of his company where they did minimal marketing activity yet sales of his company grew because the product was good and it built trust of the customers. Marketers should be custodian of trust.

Shariah compliance marketing fits to what management guru Peter Drucker once expressed about marketing. Drucker said, “The aim of marketing is to know and understand the customer so well that the product or service fits him and sells itself.”

People might disagree with these ideas but in the corporate world, companies can spend billions in creating goodwill by marketing ethically and in accordance with Shariah . This goodwill will ultimately lead to sales. Seems like a winning formula in the world and hereafter!
TheNews Blog » Marketing: The Shariah Way

Wah kya zzamana aa gaya hai ...Aajkal maulana logon ko bhi Sharia market karnay ke liye yehudi/baniya ki tarah sochna padh raha hai.wow...simply great.............

Things are dynamic, which was good in 6th century (when koran was written) need not to be good for modern world.

Lets go sharia way and stop using Haram products (Automobile, plane, ship) and commute on Mule and donkey (there is a famous Fatwa by Islamic scholar who claim these things not halal).

Sharia is not answer for 6.5 billion hungry mouth. God doesn't grow food, we do. God don't created wonderful world we did... SO let God at his home, let him enjoy holiday and lets have fun in man made world..

We Humans are so great that we created Gods...

Things are dynamic, which was good in 6th century (when koran was written) need not to be good for modern world.

Lets go sharia way and stop using Haram products (Automobile, plane, ship) and commute on Mule and donkey (there is a famous Fatwa by Islamic scholar who claim these things not halal).

Sharia is not answer for 6.5 billion hungry mouth. God doesn't grow food, we do. God don't created wonderful world we did... SO let God at his home, let him enjoy holiday and lets have fun in man made world..

Quran is from ALLAH and valid for all times and GOD created humans not humans created GOD @Black Widow

Last edited by a moderator:

You will be fired upon by PDF Resident Mullah @Zarvan Mudoodi . run and Take Cover !!

Quran is from ALLAH and valid for all times and GOD created humans not humans created GOD @Black Widow

Ok . Now go and Pray . Its almost the time . Don't Waste it online .

look who is talking, the country which has less than 20 PhDs in Marketing field.. !!

If modern marketing is all about believing and convincing your customers to demand a product that fulfills their desires; how can marketers be truthful in selling a product honestly and ethically?

we as marketers will only focus on the needs of the market and not on the wants and desires of the customers.

If we lead a simple life by following Quran and Shariah, we as marketers will only focus on the needs of the market and not on the wants and desires of the customers.

This should be done because desires are unbridled and in a way contrary to the teachings of Islam. By creating desires we are going against what is ordered by Allah.

Seriously, the guy never sees the demand in a Iphone, worked in a food advertising company and tells us desire is wrong? :lol:

Marketing spend should not be extravagant but reasonable. When companies allocate a significant portion of their budget in marketing, their product adds to the costs.

Advertising should be free of manipulation, deception and sexual appeal.

Rather than spending heavily on marketing companies should divert that budget to the uplift of society, which according to him will uplift the image of the company. This image building will translate into brand building.

So whose research work is being quoted by the guy who worked at some food company all his life? :D

Thats just what you believe.. There is no significant truth behind it... If God created human , who created them???

With all respect I respect your beliefs, But my mind don't agree with your logic..

@Zarvan ignore the indians, they only bad mouth

An Indian Hindu cant define whats haram. new facilities had never been called or termed haram so Indians should NOT look idiots by trying to give it such a biased color.

Islam never forbids use of modern means.

The posted blog simply defines market methodology, i dont see anything related to sharia or otherwise here.

An Indian Hindu cant define whats haram. new facilities had never been called or termed haram so Indians should NOT look idiots by trying to give it such a biased color.

Islam never forbids use of modern means.

The posted blog simply defines market methodology, i dont see anything related to sharia or otherwise here.

Brother Why should I dictate terms on you? and who am I to say what is haram and what is Halal?? Infact there is no concept of Halal (Be Muslim Buy Muslim) concept in Hinduism.

Its your interpretor of Islam (Mullas, Moulanas) who identify Halal and Haram products. You google it there are many site which tell what is haram and what is halal.

The post is not about Market methodology only. Read para 4, its quite implied that the author is highly influenced (may be brainwashed) by religious sentiments. If Islamic way of business is really good (according to blogger) then why don't he self appoint himself has financial advisor of some Islamic country???

Brother Why should I dictate terms on you? and who am I to say what is haram and what is Halal?? Infact there is no concept of Halal (Be Muslim Buy Muslim) concept in Hinduism.

Its your interpretor of Islam (Mullas, Moulanas) who identify Halal and Haram products. You google it there are many site which tell what is haram and what is halal.

The post is not about Market methodology only. Read para 4, its quite implied that the author is highly influenced (may be brainwashed) by religious sentiments. If Islamic way of business is really good (according to blogger) then why don't he self appoint himself has financial advisor of some Islamic country???

1. You either dont understand difference between Halal and Haram or you were just trying to mislead the readers when you said the automobiles are haram and so on by making fun. (fatwas have become a fashion and we dont believe in fatwas rather we Muslims believe in Quran and Sunnah).

2. as far as this blog is concerned, you can just ignore his personal opinion and focus on methadology. His personal view has nothing to do with Islamic way of trade.

3. Islam has defined rules for trade clearly aimed at privision of clean, quality business both for traders and supply of quality service to the buyers. Simple and clean there is NOTHING wrong in it.

4. During Last Prophet of Islam Muhammad (PBUH) period, there was trade between Muslims and Jews hence there is NO such thing haram while doing business with NON-Muslims.

5. As far concept of Halal/Islam and Hinduism is concerned, well its not about be Muslim Buy Muslim but a logical reason after all even Hindus wont like to eat dogs.

1. You either dont understand difference between Halal and Haram or you were just trying to mislead the readers when you said the automobiles are haram and so on by making fun. (fatwas have become a fashion and we dont believe in fatwas rather we Muslims believe in Quran and Sunnah).

2. as far as this blog is concerned, you can just ignore his personal opinion and focus on methadology. His personal view has nothing to do with Islamic way of trade.

3. Islam has defined rules for trade clearly aimed at privision of clean, quality business both for traders and supply of quality service to the buyers. Simple and clean there is NOTHING wrong in it.

4. During Last Prophet of Islam Muhammad (PBUH) period, there was trade between Muslims and Jews hence there is NO such thing haram while doing business with NON-Muslims.

5. As far concept of Halal/Islam and Hinduism is concerned, well its not about be Muslim Buy Muslim but a logical reason after all even Hindus wont like to eat dogs.

May be I don't know what Halal and Haram is but I know few thing...

1. Muslims are abide to buy halal product, which majorily sold by Muslims. Even non Muslim sell halal product the salesman is Muslim. this provide employment to Muslim. So it is like Obama's slogan "Be American, Buy American". In Britain if a muslim buy Gosht, he either buy from Muslim shop or Muslim staffed shop. Both way the Koran providing job to a Muslim. Thats why I called it "Be Muslim, buy muslim concept".

2. There are some experts who claim interest is haram in Islam, so Modern banking system is unIslamic, Please dan't ask me proof of it, Inetrnet is full with proof. In my very fist post I categorically mentioned that what was correct 1400 year ago (Foundation of Islam, middle age) can not be correct now. This is modern business model which has lead us to such great development. Old system need to be overhauled/amended.

Change is nature, only change is permanent. Change is basic human nature, if some religion/sect/nation are not willing to change they either will collapse or they will destroy others...

May be I don't know what Halal and Haram is but I know few thing...

1. Muslims are abide to buy halal product, which majorily sold by Muslims. Even non Muslim sell halal product the salesman is Muslim. this provide employment to Muslim. So it is like Obama's slogan "Be American, Buy American". In Britain if a muslim buy Gosht, he either buy from Muslim shop or Muslim staffed shop. Both way the Koran providing job to a Muslim. Thats why I called it "Be Muslim, buy muslim concept".

2. There are some experts who claim interest is haram in Islam, so Modern banking system is unIslamic, Please dan't ask me proof of it, Inetrnet is full with proof. In my very fist post I categorically mentioned that what was correct 1400 year ago (Foundation of Islam, middle age) can not be correct now. This is modern business model which has lead us to such great development. Old system need to be overhauled/amended.

Change is nature, only change is permanent. Change is basic human nature, if some religion/sect/nation are not willing to change they either will collapse or they will destroy others...
Perfect things don't need change they are perfect and Islam is the most perfect way of life and that is the reason thousands are converting to Islam on daily bases

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom