What's new

Manned mission not a priority: Isro chief

mkb95

Reaction score
Country
India

BHUBANESWAR: The much-publicized manned space mission is not a priority for Indian Space Research Organization (Isro), Isro chairman AS Kiran Kumar said here on Saturday.

"Right now, it (manned mission) is not a priority at all. Our priority is to build capacity for new (satellite) launches," Kumar said while interacting with reporters on the side-lines of convocation of KIIT University.

The Isro chief, who is also the secretary, department of space, said the agency is planning to increase the frequency of new satellite launches to 10 to 12 per year. From December to March, there would be at least one launch every month, he said.

Kumar said it would be a difficult task to give any time line for human spaceflight programme in the country. But it is very much part of the Isro's future programmes. The agency is currently in the stage of "critical technology development" for the human spaceflight mission, he said.

"The crew module re-entry exercise was done last year. Activities such as development of environment control system, maintenance of oxygen and carbon dioxide, contingencies such as extricating the astronauts in case such a need arises are on. These are critical technology requirement activities in the research and development, he said.

The Isro chairman said the future of the manned programme would depend on government clearance for it. "Of course, the government has to give its clearance. Lots of investment is required for it," he said.

Kumar said space tourism as a concept is catching up fast globally. Just like the sequence of development in shipping industry and aircraft industry, space tourism and space adventure would be natural development process in the future space technology. One of the key Isro activities would be to help industries in the country build up the capacity for such future, he said.

BHUBANESWAR: The much-publicized manned space mission is not a priority for Indian Space Research Organization (Isro), Isro chairman AS Kiran Kumar said here on Saturday.

"Right now, it (manned mission) is not a priority at all. Our priority is to build capacity for new (satellite) launches," Kumar said while interacting with reporters on the side-lines of convocation of KIIT University.

The Isro chief, who is also the secretary, department of space, said the agency is planning to increase the frequency of new satellite launches to 10 to 12 per year. From December to March, there would be at least one launch every month, he said.

Kumar said it would be a difficult task to give any time line for human spaceflight programme in the country. But it is very much part of the Isro's future programmes. The agency is currently in the stage of "critical technology development" for the human spaceflight mission, he said.

"The crew module re-entry exercise was done last year. Activities such as development of environment control system, maintenance of oxygen and carbon dioxide, contingencies such as extricating the astronauts in case such a need arises are on. These are critical technology requirement activities in the research and development, he said.

The Isro chairman said the future of the manned programme would depend on government clearance for it. "Of course, the government has to give its clearance. Lots of investment is required for it," he said.

Kumar said space tourism as a concept is catching up fast globally. Just like the sequence of development in shipping industry and aircraft industry, space tourism and space adventure would be natural development process in the future space technology. One of the key Isro activities would be to help industries in the country build up the capacity for such future, he said.
Oh man!, made be upset. Now, I'll remain sad for a week or month.
Anyway, launching 10-12 satellites per year will make space infrastructure for ISRO to navigate interterrestial missions and we will not have to use American infrastructure like used in MOM.
But Iranians also working on manned missions. They have plans to send humans in space in next 5 years (yet they will take at least 10 to 15 years) but if ISRO delays mission and Iranians get ahead of us in this field, this would not be good for us for getting behind an inferior player.
If ISRO will not send humans in space till 2025, it will affect the potential of India to get status of a space superpower.
I can't understand why they are delaying this mission.
They have made required rockets, space capsules and space suits. They could launch it in couple of year. Wish BJP government priotize manned mission.

After hardworking of a decade, they have a fruit in their hands.
Postponing the manned mission will be like throwing handy fruit.

@salmove
@Hindustani78
@shree835
@knight11
@IndoCarib
@jung41

@samlove

@kahonapyarhai

I support the isro decisions for not going for the manned mission first. There are lot of risk and before that ISRO should first get an expertise with various technologies. Whether India would be ahead or behind Iranian, but thing is clear, India would give the better alternative market to the space tourism, as you are projecting to say in future, due to its Price and better reliability and history.

Oh man!, made be upset. Now, I'll remain sad for a week or month.
Anyway, launching 10-12 satellites per year will make space infrastructure for ISRO to navigate interterrestial missions and we will not have to use American infrastructure like used in MOM.
But Iranians also working on manned missions. They have plans to send humans in space in next 5 years (yet they will take at least 10 to 15 years) but if ISRO delays mission and Iranians get ahead of us in this field, this would not be good for us for getting behind an inferior player.
If ISRO will not send humans in space till 2025, it will affect the potential of India to get status of a space superpower.
I can't understand why they are delaying this mission.
They have made required rockets, space capsules and space suits. They could launch it in couple of year. Wish BJP government priotize manned mission.

After hardworking of a decade, they have a fruit in their hands.
Postponing the manned mission will be like throwing handy fruit.

@salmove
@Hindustani78
@shree835
@knight11
@IndoCarib
@jung41

@samlove

@kahonapyarhai

Launching satellites high on ISRO priority - The Hindu

The Indian Space Research Organisation here on Saturday said firing satellites into space orbit at frequent intervals is high on its priority than the much-hyped manned mission to space.

“At present, development of critical technologies pertaining to manned mission is going on. Space suit is nearly done. We are working on crew module re-entry exercise and know-how to extricate astronaut in case of emergency and also environment control system such as addressing environmental toxicity,” ISRO chairman A. S. Kiran Kumar said here.

Mr. Kiran Kumar received Doctorate of Science degree from city-based KIIT University which held its 11th Annual Convocation on Saturday.

“The Government has to give clearance for the manned mission. It requires substantial investment by the government for development of these critical technologies. We had moved the Union government sometime back,” said Mr. Kiran Kumar.

I support the isro decisions for not going for the manned mission first. There are lot of risk and before that ISRO should first get an expertise with various technologies. Whether India would be ahead or behind Iranian, but thing is clear, India would give the better alternative market to the space tourism, as you are projecting to say in future, due to its Price and better reliability and history.
Yes bro, we can't blame ISRO for any delay after all. First all, a manned mission isn't easy at all and then, ISRO has a tight schedule till 2020.
@knight hey wait a minute, if manned mission to be occurred in 2021 will be delayed now to about 5-10 years, what will happen to manned RLV program then? Any idea?

Yes bro, we can't blame ISRO for any delay after all. First all, a manned mission isn't easy at all and then, ISRO has a tight schedule till 2020.
@knight hey wait a minute, if manned mission to be occurred in 2021 will be delayed now to about 5-10 years, what will happen to manned RLV program then? Any idea?

The human space flight programme according to ISRO, is limited to sending a crew of two astronauts to a low earth orbit and returning them safely to a set destination on earth. ISRO, however, has set itself a target of 2017 for achieving this mission.
As part of the prerequisites, the space agency will first have to prove that the Geo Synchronous Launch Vehicle (GSLV) platform can be used for the launch. The pre-project research is being carried out with `150 crore and the project is not even part of the 12th five-year plan that ends in 2017.

The Indian Space Research Organisation here on Saturday said firing satellites into space orbit at frequent intervals is high on its priority than the much-hyped manned mission to space.

“At present, development of critical technologies pertaining to manned mission is going on. Space suit is nearly done. We are working on crew module re-entry exercise and know-how to extricate astronaut in case of emergency and also environment control system such as addressing environmental toxicity,” ISRO chairman A. S. Kiran Kumar said here.

Mr. Kiran Kumar received Doctorate of Science degree from city-based KIIT University which held its 11th Annual Convocation on Saturday.

“The Government has to give clearance for the manned mission. It requires substantial investment by the government for development of these critical technologies. We had moved the Union government sometime back,” said Mr. Kiran Kumar.

I wish government consider ISRO's potential and capabilities and give it clearance and budget.
Anyway, ISRO and Government will do anything good.
Otherwise I was dreaming to get in as a test pilot for IAF and then, a Vyomanaut.
LOL on me.

I wish government consider ISRO's potential and capabilities and give it clearance and budget.
Otherwise I was dreaming to get in as a test pilot for IAF and then, a Vyomanaut.
LOL on myself.

LOL on me.

December 2014

Experimental flight was "sub-orbital", mainly intended to test performance during its ascent into the atmosphere and the re-entry of the crew module, the experiment today moves it closer to that goal.

ISRO space scientists say the most critical element of manned space missions - building life-support systems aboard the capsule - remains to be achieved. Scientists have also cautioned in the past that Isro will need to increase the success rate of the GSLV for manned space flight.

May not be a priority, but ISRO can not afford to put it in the backburner. True space prowess can be demostrated by manned mission only.

Manned mission won't be until +2020. I don't buy the 2017 date.

It is not high priority. Focus on the commercial aspects and getting the RSLV up and running. Everything else should be secondary. Satellites for commercial, civilian, and scientific use directly benefit the country. Manned missions can wait for when Moonbase can be built.

You guys are forgetting that a good heavy launch vehicle isn't even ready yet. We need to certify the GSLV Mk II, then the GSLV Mk III, and then finally get the Unified Launch Vehicle that will replace all other launch vehicles in its many variants.

Once we have the ULV for cheaply launching all types of satellites, we can use more powerful semi-cryo engines as boosters, instead of the current solid boosters, and create a Heavy Launch Vehicle with +100,000kg LEO, which is what you need for Lunar Missions.

In ISRO I trust.

Last edited:
A Manned mission could be done on a GSLV (i.e just manned orbit, nothing fancy)....but that would require shelving almost every other program.

ISRO budget and manpower has to be massively expanded to provide the margins for a quick manned mission in the short term. Not worth it. Best to organically grow like we are currently doing....we are not in space with prestige as priority....it is just a side-effect to the main goals. 2020+ is a more mature timeframe for sure.

Back
Top Bottom