What's new

Mamata storms Maoists bastion

dee

Reaction score
Unfazed by criticism that she was wooing them, Trinamool Congress leader and Union Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday stormed the Maoists bastion and appealed to them to halt killings saying joint operations against them should be withdrawn once they come to negotiations.

The Railway Minister also made some significant comments that included condemnation of the killing of a top Maoist leader Cherukuri Rajkumar alias Azad by the Andhra Pradesh police in an encounter last month.

“Let the peace process start from today. Let Bengal show the way for entire India. Let violence and killings stop. If you have problem with me, social activists Medha Patkar and Swami Agnivesh can take the lead. But let the negotiations start,” she told a rally organised by her under the ‘Santras Birodhi Manch’ (anti-terror platform) here.

The Congress, which was invited to the rally, kept away from it. AICC General Secretary Keshava Rao instead attended a party rally in East Midnapore district.

Ms. Banerjee told the Maoists, “If you agree to stop the violence and killings, then negotiations can begin. Joint operations should be withdrawn simultaneously.”

“Let the peace process start from today. I am telling my Maoists friends to ponder who will ultimately benefit from violence and terror.

“Tell us where and when you want to sit for talks. We want dialogue for peace and restoration of democracy and build a terror-free India,” she said as gun-toting CRPF personnel kept a watch over the sea of heads.

Criticising the killing of top Maoist leader Azad Andhra Pradesh’s Adilabad district saying, “What has happened was not correct. He was trying to begin the process of negotiations. We pray for his soul.”

With activists Swami Agnivesh and Medha Patkar beside her on the stage, she said “We will also go to Chattisgarh and Dantewada with a mission for peace.”

Ms. Banerjee said she would consider setting up a railway factory in the area besides taking measures necessary for development of ‘jungle mahal’ (Maoist-affected areas of West Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia districts) where there were no roads, electricity or schools or colleges.

The Hindu : States / Other States : Come to the dialogue table, Mamata tells Maoists

Vijayawada: The CPI(M) charged that the Trinamool Congress has "legitimised" the outlawed Maoists by organising a joint rally at Lalgarh in West Bengal and demanded that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh answer to the country on the "tie-up".

"The Prime Minister went on record on the floor of Rajya Sabha that Maoists posed a grave threat to the country's internal security. Now, the Trinamool Congress that is part of the Central government has legitimised the Maoists by openly patronising them," CPM politburo member Sitaram Yechury said.

Addressing a press conference on the sidelines of the party's Extended Central Committee meeting at Vijayawada on Monday, Yechury said there was a "glaring contradiction" in the TMC-Congress alliance.

"It's like hunting with the hounds and running with the hares. It is sheer opportunism on part of the Congress," he lashed out.

Reacting to TMC chief Mamata Banjerjee's allegations about misuse of Central funds by the West Bengal government, the CPM leader said such allegations could not stand anywhere.

On Mamata's outbursts as well as social activist Swami Agnivesh's comments at the Lalgarh rally against the CPM, he said: "It's a democratic country and everyone can give their own speech."

To the Union Railway Minister's claim that they could venture into Lalgarh without carrying guns, Yechury shot back

"When the Maoists themselves are organizing the rally, where the need for guns?'
CPM AP secretariat member Y Venkateswara Rao was also present.

Read more at: CPM slams Mamata for Lalgarh rally with Maoists' friends

Unfazed by criticism that she was wooing them, Trinamool Congress leader and Union Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday stormed the Maoists bastion and appealed to them to halt killings saying joint operations against them should be withdrawn once they come to negotiations.

The Railway Minister also made some significant comments that included condemnation of the killing of a top Maoist leader Cherukuri Rajkumar alias Azad by the Andhra Pradesh police in an encounter last month.

“Let the peace process start from today. Let Bengal show the way for entire India. Let violence and killings stop. If you have problem with me, social activists Medha Patkar and Swami Agnivesh can take the lead. But let the negotiations start,” she told a rally organised by her under the ‘Santras Birodhi Manch’ (anti-terror platform) here.

The Congress, which was invited to the rally, kept away from it. AICC General Secretary Keshava Rao instead attended a party rally in East Midnapore district.

Ms. Banerjee told the Maoists, “If you agree to stop the violence and killings, then negotiations can begin. Joint operations should be withdrawn simultaneously.”

“Let the peace process start from today. I am telling my Maoists friends to ponder who will ultimately benefit from violence and terror.

“Tell us where and when you want to sit for talks. We want dialogue for peace and restoration of democracy and build a terror-free India,” she said as gun-toting CRPF personnel kept a watch over the sea of heads.

Criticising the killing of top Maoist leader Azad Andhra Pradesh’s Adilabad district saying, “What has happened was not correct. He was trying to begin the process of negotiations. We pray for his soul.”

With activists Swami Agnivesh and Medha Patkar beside her on the stage, she said “We will also go to Chattisgarh and Dantewada with a mission for peace.”

Ms. Banerjee said she would consider setting up a railway factory in the area besides taking measures necessary for development of ‘jungle mahal’ (Maoist-affected areas of West Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia districts) where there were no roads, electricity or schools or colleges.

The Hindu : States / Other States : Come to the dialogue table, Mamata tells Maoists
What is this doing on a International Defense website??:blink::blink:
besides that its a waste of bandwidth discussing about that Maoist supporting moron .:hitwall::hitwall:

Vijayawada: The CPI(M) charged that the Trinamool Congress has "legitimised" the outlawed Maoists by organising a joint rally at Lalgarh in West Bengal and demanded that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh answer to the country on the "tie-up".

"The Prime Minister went on record on the floor of Rajya Sabha that Maoists posed a grave threat to the country's internal security. Now, the Trinamool Congress that is part of the Central government has legitimised the Maoists by openly patronising them," CPM politburo member Sitaram Yechury said.

Addressing a press conference on the sidelines of the party's Extended Central Committee meeting at Vijayawada on Monday, Yechury said there was a "glaring contradiction" in the TMC-Congress alliance.

"It's like hunting with the hounds and running with the hares. It is sheer opportunism on part of the Congress," he lashed out.

Reacting to TMC chief Mamata Banjerjee's allegations about misuse of Central funds by the West Bengal government, the CPM leader said such allegations could not stand anywhere.

On Mamata's outbursts as well as social activist Swami Agnivesh's comments at the Lalgarh rally against the CPM, he said: "It's a democratic country and everyone can give their own speech."

To the Union Railway Minister's claim that they could venture into Lalgarh without carrying guns, Yechury shot back

"When the Maoists themselves are organizing the rally, where the need for guns?'
CPM AP secretariat member Y Venkateswara Rao was also present.

Read more at: CPM slams Mamata for Lalgarh rally with Maoists' friends

A new low even for her!!!:angry::angry: To remove the left from power she wont even think twice about sacrificing national integrity.:hitwall::hitwall:
Try her for treason against Indian state.:hang3::hang3:

This confirms my suspicions that Mamata Banerjee and possibly many of her peers are taking a soft approach to Maoists because they are holding the central government hostage with these pawns. The real scope of this situation is not being revealed because it makes India look like a sickly, disintegrating state.

This confirms my suspicions that Mamata Banerjee and possibly many of her peers are taking a soft approach to Maoists because they are holding the central government hostage with these pawns. The real scope of this situation is not being revealed because it makes India look like a sickly, disintegrating state.

your post is half correct...

the part where you say that mamata bannerjee is taking soft approach toards maoist is absoloutely correct and reason for it is that she wants to gain ( IMO she has and is already gaining) the political mileage for her contention....I might like to discuss this with someone who already knows much about the Indian politics especially the Bengal current affairs.

you can belive me on this..and since I say that she is using the maoists , which means that her soft approach towards maoists is not because parties are frightened or because the maoists have made govt any kind of hostage as you said in your post...this is the part of your post which is wrong.

your post is half correct...

the part where you say that mamata bannerjee is taking soft approach toards maoist is absoloutely correct and reason for it is that she wants to gain ( IMO she has and is already gaining) the political mileage for her contention....I might like to discuss this with someone who already knows much about the Indian politics especially the Bengal current affairs.

you can belive me on this..and since I say that she is using the maoists , which means that her soft approach towards maoists is not because parties are frightened or because the maoists have made govt any kind of hostage as you said in your post...this is the part of your post which is wrong.

And what sorry state of affair that is! Bengals politics touched it's all-time low. Only hope is, it can't get any worse.

I believe Azad was murdered: Mamata

At a massive rally in Lalgarh on Monday, Union minister and Trinamool chief Mamata Banerjee had questioned the manner in which Maoist leader Cherukuri Rajkumar or Azad was killed in Adilabad, Andhra Pradesh on July 2. She had said: "I believe Azad had been murdered. It was unjust. But peace talks should be started... I pay my respect and tribute to Azad.”

She had also issued a “peace” message to the Maoists and combined it with her pressing need to make inroads in the Naxal heartland, a CPM bastion where her Trinamool Congress has had little electoral success so far.

She urged the Maoists: “Tell me what you demand. Give a time. Tell me the place and I am ready to initiate the peace process.”

She asked Maoists and tribals in Lalgarh to spell out clearly what they wanted. If they wanted schools, colleges, hospitals, roads, she said, that would be ensured. “Just wait for a few more months and the Marxists will be out of power. I promise to bring development here. If you want jobs, I can set up a railway factory in Lalgarh to provide jobs to the unemployed.”

She said she was ready to visit Dantewada in Chhattisgarh and was ready to talk to the Maoists there too. She invited Swami Agnivesh, Medha Patekar and other national leaders to visit Lalgarh and “areas of strife in West Bengal.”

At the same time, she tried to distance herself from Maoist violence and bloodshed. “I have no support for those Maoists who are killing people. I do have the guts to tell them standing here in Lalgarh that I do not support them. On this historic day of Quit India movement, the people of Lalgarh must take a pledge that terror has to quit Lalgarh,” she said.

The Maoists will have to seek a solution to their problems through Constitutional and democratic means, she said. “We have won battles in Singur and Nandigram through peaceful means. And we can do it in Lalgarh.”

If she was critical of Maoists indulging in the politics of killing, she renewed her demand for withdrawal of joint operations in the region. “It is only helping the CPM,” she said. “The CPM cadres are carrying out raids in CRPF and police fatigues in the region and capturing villages. The leaders at the Centre were being misled and fed wrong information,” Banerjee alleged.

Clearly, with this rally — after 13 months — Banerjee is testing the political waters. In the 42 Assembly seats that cover the Naxal heartland of West Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia, her party has none. Even in the Panchayat elections and the 2009 Lok Sabha where she rode an anti-CPM wave, the Trinamool made hardly a dent here.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/Mamata-ready-to-start-peace-talks-with-Maoists/658009/

By defeating the Left in the recent municipal elections Mamata has done the unimaginable. Let's wait and watch.She might do the trick with the Maoists also. And she would use peaceful means to accomplish the goal so it should be better than PC's approach. But who knows after coming in power with the help of Maoists she might do what Pakistan is doing to Taliban.

Back
Top Bottom