What's new

Maldives hit by water crisis, India sends help

IndoCarib

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Water was cut off to more than 100,000 residents in the Maldives' capital because of a fire in the city's water treatment plant, a minister said on Friday.

Government Minister Mohamed Shareef said the government has declared a crisis situation and appealed to India, Sri Lanka and China and the United States for help.

As desperate residents scuffled and attacked shops over dwindling supplies of bottled water in the Maldivian capital of Male, Rajeev Shahare, India's envoy to the archipelago nation, said water is being brought in large planes in five flights today; an offshore patrol vessel in the ocean with a water treating facility has been diverted to the Maldives.

India's foreign ministry spokesman Syed Akbaruddin tweeted:

B4FJ1PBCcAAWn2G[1].jpg

Mr Shareef said it may take days to resume operations in the treatment plant because destroyed parts need to be brought in from abroad.
Hospitals in the capital and the country's famous tourist resort islands have their own water facilities.

India Sending Water in 5 Large Planes Today to Maldives

in a situation like this fresh water could be just as valuable as gold.

hope they get all the help they need.

oh ok, i forgot that one.But still they have more than a 500+ islands they should have backup plants.

India is much closer,so India can send help faster than US.

True, but if more help is needed then US is the big player with enough resources & required equipment to provide proper help for longer time.

True, but if more help is needed then US is the big player with enough resources & required equipment to provide proper help for longer time.
The closest is diego garcia, or else they have to move one of their ships to help them.

Is US sending any help??

i would assume yes, but if not India is helping plenty.

oh ok, i forgot that one.But still they have more than a 500+ islands they should have backup plants.

India is much closer,so India can send help faster than US.

I doubt this is something that happens a lot. and it's only affecting the capital not the entire island country.

i would assume yes, but if not India is helping plenty.

I doubt this is something that happens a lot. and it's only affecting the capital not the entire island country.
The capital is the biggest populated place, rest if the islands hardly house over 50-100 homes or none.One of my friend worked there as a doctor , he didn't like it much and quit in the end, they have to get everything by sea from other nations, be it milk,eggs,onions everything after some days the island euphoria wears off and depression sets in.

The closest is diego garcia, or else they have to move one of their ships to help them.

US is current super power and have all the needed tools to help also they have expertise available to handle all kinds of humanitarian situation, that is why I asked, usually they dispatched ships or LHDs.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom