What's new

Malaysia Defence & Economy Forum

Malaysians need to walk the middle path as this is a multi-racial, multi-religious country. Peace and harmony can only be achieved if people give and take. People in Sabah and Sarawak are fortunate that they tolerated each other's differences. They fight politically but don't fight or get involve in racial and religious issues.

West Malaysians are less fortunate because politicians are using religion and ethnic race as their agenda to make political gains. In peninsular, politicians from Malays, Chinese, and Indians and others all have been chauvinists and unfortunately common people are still blinded by them.

Few decades ago, I think sometimes during 1970s or 1980s, the national slogan was Muhibbah, nowadays nobody mentions the word any more. What happened?

Malaysians need to walk the middle path as this is a multi-racial, multi-religious country. Peace and harmony can only be achieved if people give and take. People in Sabah and Sarawak are fortunate that they tolerated each other's differences. They fight politically but don't fight or get involve in racial and religious issues.

West Malaysians are less fortunate because politicians are using religion and ethnic race as their agenda to make political gains. In peninsular, politicians from Malays, Chinese, and Indians and others all have been chauvinists and unfortunately common people are still blinded by them.

Few decades ago, I think sometimes during 1970s or 1980s, the national slogan was Muhibbah, nowadays nobody mentions the word any more. What happened?
When people are poor, food and house are priorities. When living standard lifted, spiritual need comes.

Malaysia is divided by race and religion. Western democracy enlarge divergence in most cases, that's how it works and it's human nature. That's why China use Democratic Centralism instead of western one which has lethal flaw.

Even those single race area, such as Taiwan, South Korea and Japan, Western democracy successfully enlarge divergence among people.

Free speech and freedom of religion just add fuel to the flames.

Best wishes for you, China is stronger than 21 years ago. Chinese should not be slaughtered without severe consequence.

爪夷文之乱:选举解决不了的马来西亚族群冲突
http://news.dwnews.com/global/news/2019-08-19/60145833.html

Last edited:
In the whole of the cabinet I see only two people working the hardest, TDM and Lim Guan. The rest of them are mere clowns for the most part and leading the charge among them is the Works and Human Resources minister. When ever I read this guy, cant help but cringe.
Disagree, worst is the education Minister. Lim Guan Eng might able to check corruption, but he exaggerates the numbers of past administration opening him up for attacks. Otherwise the finance minister position is meant to silence him. DAP starting to lose support from non-Malays after Bersatu started to attack Chinese/Indian school and being useless on Zakar Naik. I'm not sure why Mahathir wants to bring a non-issue to attack the Chinese, but I think he needs something to shore up Malay support which is weak.

The way things are moving, unless big crooks like Najib and his closest allies are sent to jail with recovery of money, PAS is gonna wipe the floor with all PH parties in North and East Malaysia and be in a position to be the real king makers. PKR had been nothing but one disappointment after another. The chauvinists from all sides are having a field day.
Disagree, even if Najib is convicted, BN will still win. Heard of Bossku? If election were to call right now, Pakatan will lose by big margin. Most of Najib supporters believe Najib is innocent, and his wealth is because his family is rich. Malays were complaining about payments and projects under Najib, but right now under Mahathir is worst. At least during Najib time they had BR1M (welfare money) while not admitting when 1 in 5 Malaysian are in poverty. By reducing BR1M, Mahathir removed the safety net.

https://www.malaymail.com/news/mala...e-grossly-underreported-actual-number/1783504

Correcting the U-turn government
Joe Samad
-
September 2, 2019 9:15 AM

Joe-Samad-New-0808191.jpg

Youth and Sports Minister Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman recently posted photos on Instagram of him sharing a meal with preacher Dr Zakir Naik. This big U-turn came soon after he called for Naik to be deported.

That was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Syed Saddiq probably thought it was a proud moment, but his whimsical out-of-the-blue public relations publicity stunt went horribly wrong. Right-thinking Malaysians were aghast at the cosiness displayed by a minister on a hot-potato issue that still consumes Malaysians.

Some said he is a youthful and handsome prodigy but a naïve one in this case.

Syed Saddiq is the face of youth in the Pakatan Harapan (PH) government. He represents the hope of the young voters who voted for change in GE14. Instead, we are getting the same tired old politics.

It cannot be denied that PH is now a replica of the Barisan Nasional (BN) government – nothing has changed.

In May 2018, we were proud that we have the oldest prime minister in the world. What is there to be proud about now, if you run a “nyanyuk” government?

Many younger voters vehemently objected to Dr Mahathir Mohamad but wanted a change in leadership. Now I can understand why. History is repeating itself: it’s hard for a leopard to change its spots.

Syed Saddiq’s postings sum up what is wrong with the Malaysian government. I must stop saying PH government or BN government. Mahathir and Syed Saddiq represent the government – the Malaysian government.

Malaysia, the nation, should come first. We must not repeat the same racial, religious, political rhetoric and crowd-pleasing antics of the BN era.

In Sabah, the people are upset by an about-turn on the proposed Papar dam and the Tanjung Aru Eco-Development project.

Parti Bersatu Sabah’s information chief, Joniston Bangkuai, said the Warisan-led state government’s inconsistent stand had raised the eyebrows of many, including those who voted for them.

“At the rate these flip-flop decisions are being made, this Warisan-led coalition state government should be known as a ‘U-turn government’,” he said.

The state government has to recognise the groundswell and not bulldoze through projects, otherwise these projects will face a similar fate as the coal-fired plant in Lahad Datu many years back.

In July, it was reported that about 100,000 job applications were received by the Sabah Public Service Commission for 401 job vacancies. Where did the rejected ones go?

In July 2018, the Sabah trade and industry ministry, under Madius Wilfred Tangau, announced that it aims to create 600,000 jobs by 2023, under the small and medium enterprises sector.

The latest statistics show that the unemployment rate has increased. The Sabah government has to really think hard about how to create these 600,000 jobs.

Floating nice figures is one thing, but putting words into action is another thing. The fact that 100,000 people chased 401 jobs in Sabah shows that we need more industries and the use of digital technology in a sharing economy to promote self-employment.

We read that many Sabahans have left the state to look for jobs in foreign countries. They end up being exploited and deported with nothing in their pockets.

PPBM’s policy and strategy bureau chief Rais Hussin said recently that the ruling coalition would lose federal power if a general election were held the next day. His frank views are being echoed by other component party leaders.

The same goes for the Sabah state government. People are now comparing statistics with that under the former state government, led by Musa Aman, and the figures do not look good.

Granted, it would not be fair to compare apples with apples as the circumstances are different – we are now saddled by 1MDB and all the financial mismanagement that is being exposed daily.

But the fact remains that people need jobs; people need to feed their families. They are tired of excuses. In the digital age, you can’t hide or run; people need answers and solutions. The state government has to answer to the people.

Mahathir has admitted weaknesses in communicating the success of its policies as the reason behind PH’s dwindling popularity.

“The press loves controversy. So that’s why I find it difficult to comment on controversial matters,” he said. Another Trump-like statement from Mahathir. If you can’t clearly articulate your policies and behaviour, don’t blame the press.

Khat is a good example of poor communication and U-turns. What was the khat issue about? Arabic, Muslims, race, Maszlee, fun games, art, calligraphy, compulsory, not compulsory, elective subject, hours spent on learning, how many pages, etc.

The public is confused, the Cabinet is confused, the whole country is confused. Isn’t that poor communication? The current style is to shoot from the hip first and clarify later.

Don’t blame the press.

Opinion articles by intellectuals, writers and the Malay middle class show that many are saying it would be better for Malaysians to migrate, and that it would be better for our children to be educated overseas and continue working there.

At least then we would not have to deal with “holier than thou” Muslims who say that only enemies of Islam would want Naik to be extradited. A PAS leader has even said that only hypocrites and sinners would want him booted out.

I am a Malaysian Muslim. Why should I be publicly condemned by a PAS leader as a sinner and hypocrite while an Indian fugitive, wanted in India and banned in several countries, is seen cosying up to the PM and our ministers as if he were the centre of the earth?

Would a Malaysian be able to claim asylum in Commonwealth countries such as the UK or Canada in the same manner that Naik is being harboured here? Those countries, with significant Muslim populations, must have thoroughly investigated him before banning his entry.

Many of us would hesitate to leave the country of our birth and the country we love. Unless the government changes its ways, we might see a mass migration if Naik is somehow installed as a new religious leader.

I always understood that our sultans are the heads of religion in each state. Now I am beginning to be confused as to who has the real religious authority in Malaysia, just as I am confused about khat being part of the school curriculum.

Will the Cabinet take time to think through what they are proposing, especially when it comes to sensitive issues like religion, race relations and education, and learn to communicate better with the general public before making embarrassing U-turns that stir up emotions and endless debate?

Take to heart the campaign line used by former US president Bill Clinton: “It’s the economy, stupid.” Concentrate on improving the economy and creating jobs and do not get distracted by issues like khat and Naik which do not bring any real benefit to the nation.

Mother of 4 blazes the trail as Sabah’s first woman fire station chief
Durie Rainer Fong
4 days ago
AAGwtSx.img

KOTA KINABALU: It will be a triple celebration for Agustavia Joe Guasi this month as she will not only be celebrating her birthday on National Day but also her appointment as the first woman fire station chief in Sabah.

The 37-year-old from Kampung Nalapak, Ranau, a remote village in the foothills of the Crocker Range, created history when she was named head of the Lintas station here on Aug 1.

The mother of four never imagined such an achievement when she joined the Fire and Rescue Department as a recruit in 2001.

“I only wanted to have a career, so I immediately applied when there was an opening at the department. I never planned to be a firefighter.

“But I grew to love the job after I got in and it feels right with my soul.

“This is one of the best moments of my life and I will never forget it,” she told FMT.

Agustavia, the third of seven siblings from a Dusun family, spoke of the pressure accompanying her new position, especially in a field traditionally dominated by men.

“At first I was worried that I would not be up to the task as a station chief, particularly as I am the first female to hold the position in Sabah,” she said.

“But it must be the hope of the department and highest management to see me succeed in this job. I don’t intend to let them down.”

Before her promotion, she said, she mostly followed orders and carried out routine assignments.

“But as a senior officer, I am now responsible for ensuring that those under me execute their duties according to procedure,” said Agustavia, who was formerly with the Sabah fire operations centre.

“I also need to equip myself with the knowledge to match my male counterparts.

“And as a mother, I have to think about my children and family, who I cannot abandon. But I understand the sacrifices I have to make to carry out my duties.”

She has promised herself that she will do her best, and is sure of plenty of support and guidance along the way.

“I will have encouragement and support from my state director, deputy director and other station chiefs who will motivate me to do my best.”

She is also banking on her 18 years of experience in being a firefighter, which has seen her participation in missions related to floods, draughts and even the 2015 earthquake in her hometown of Ranau.

She told FMT the quake rescue mission was by far her most difficult task.

She hopes her experience will inspire others, especially women, to sign up as firefighters. But she does not make light of the challenges and sacrifices that this entails.

“It is not as easy as just putting on the uniform. You need to be prepared mentally as well as physically to do the job.

“It’s a high-risk job. While some women fear fires, some women simply learn to control it.”

Musang King Durian is the rising star in Malaysia's fruit export.

Journey of Musang King
image: https://apicms.thestar.com.my/uploads/images/2019/09/04/250335.jpg

250335.jpg

The Musang King durian stands out for its smooth texture, plump flesh and bright yellow hue.

HIS search for a flavoursome durian ended 28 years ago in Tanah Merah, Kelantan, when he found the “king” of the King of Fruits.

It was love at first bite for Frankie Tong Thien Seng, thanks to a man named Wee, who introduced the fruit which locals in Kelantan referred to as Raja Kunyit.

Back then, Frankie was a 32-year-old fruit sapling seller from Karak, Pahang, who was on a search for the best variety of durian.

Today, Raja Kunyit is known as Musang King.

“People outside Kelantan generally know that Gua Musang (not Raja Kunyit) is from Kelantan.

“I renamed the fruit Musang King, having borrowed the word ‘musang’ from the town,” recalled the 60-year-old Frankie when StarMetro visited his orchard in Karak, about 100km from Kuala Lumpur.

He continues to refer to Musang King as his “superstar of tomorrow”.

image: https://apicms.thestar.com.my/uploads/images/2019/09/04/250332.jpg

250332.jpg
Frankie with his first Musang King durian tree in his orchard in Karak, Pahang.

“From the day I first tasted Raja Kunyit, I somehow knew deep in my heart that it has the cut to make it big one day,” he said.

He said he nurtured the specie from the day he brought the sapling from its Tanah Merah hometown to Karak .

“It has the 10 required criteria to be the ‘King of the King of Fruits’.

“It appeals to 60% to 70% of durian lovers. Its smooth and dense bright yellow pulp has a sweet and bitter taste, “ he said adding that the saplings were very saleable.

Musang King, he added, also has good commercial value.

“A well-maintained Musang King tree has good disease resistance and high yield,” he said.

But Frankie said it was Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai who gave Musang King the much needed boost to penetrate the China market.

image: https://apicms.thestar.com.my/uploads/images/2019/09/04/250333.jpg

250333.jpg
Frankie and a visitor taking a closer look at the durian specie, D88. It is among several top species growing in his orchard in Karak, Pahang.

The former MCA president and four-term Bentong MP (1999-May 2018) was instrumental in the aggressive promotion of the fruit which thrives well in Bentong, Karak and Raub.

“This effort also managed to attract many tourists from China, Hong Kong, Singapore, as well local tourists to visit the orchards,” said Frankie.

He said the future of Musang King as well as other popular species like Red Prawn, Tekka, Black Thorn and XO was bright.

“To date, only 1% of the 1.4 bil population in China eat durians. The number is growing. Just imagine when 10% of them eat durians,” he said.

Above all, Frankie said one must have passion for durians if there was intention to venture into the business.

“Good farming practices is a must for high quality fruits and bumper harvest,” he added.

Apart from that, he said farmers must meet the criteria set by importers in order to have a competitive edge.

image: https://apicms.thestar.com.my/uploads/images/2019/09/04/250334.jpg

250334.jpg
Durian saplings at the Tong Seng orchard in Karak.

“Durians, like any other commodities, will face competition.

“Having access to the overseas market is a good start,” he said.

Frankie said it was passion for durian that resulted in four generations in his family to persevere in the business - from his grandfather who arrived from China to his son.

Frankie and his wife Wong Siew Leng run the Tong Seng Nursery in Karak, which was registered in 1983.

They have three children, and their son is also in the durian trade.

He said his father Tong Sin Long, in his 80s now, still visits durian orchards and acts as an adviser for farms as far as Sabah and Sarawak.

Frankie recalls as a child following his father on trips to sell saplings.

image: https://apicms.thestar.com.my/uploads/images/2019/09/04/250336.jpg

250336.jpg
MCA president Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong (third from left) and other MCA leaders on a recent visit to Tong Seng Nursery in Karak. On Wee’s left is Frankie.

“Selling durian was not enough to make a living or raise a family.

“We had to sell fruit saplings and do other farm jobs to make ends meet, “ he said, adding that durian farmers were very poor in the old days.

Frankie said that a durian fruit was priced at 10sen about 50 years ago , and the price later went up to between RM1 and RM3 three decades ago.

“Durians are now sold by weight. One Musang King weighing about two kg can fetch about RM100,” he said.

While new species of durians continue making their way to the market, Frankie said he was confident Musang King is here to stay.
Stay tuned for a new offer coming to you soon.

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/metro/metro-news/2019/09/04/journey-of-musang-king#WrEdMY4j0T4tVPRj.99

Malaysia's July exports exceed forecast with 1.7% growth to nearly RM88b (US$20 Billion)
251427.jpg

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia’s July exports expanded by 1.7% to RM87.96bil (about US$20 billion) from a year ago, exceeding a Bloomberg forecast of a 2.5% on-year decline.

The Minister of International Trade and Industry said in a statement on Wednesday it was the highest export value ever recorded for July.

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/business...17-growth-to-nearly-rm88b#2YieflpJWJ9KoUFc.99

Photo of Malaysian 62th National Day Parade on August 31st.
m01.jpg
M02.jpg
M03.jpg
M04.jpg
M05.jpg
M06.jpg
M07.jpg
M08.jpg

M09.jpg
M10.jpg
M11.jpg
M12.jpg
M13.jpg
M14.jpg
M15.jpg
M16.jpg

I dont know this pig can swim cross the sea.. i think they only can swim on river..

They don't. Which is why that news article is ridiculous. If it were elephant or python than it is plausible, but even elephant would hesitate to swim across a busy waterway such as Malacca strait. Only reptile (typically python or salty) would swim across such busy waterway but than again all reptile are solitary creature thus won't be coming in large number.

I know this is not the right forum but I need help regarding my visit to Malaysia this december. Can anyone local help me? Will really appriciate it.

Back
Top Bottom