What's new

Malaysia Defence & Economy Forum

Upskilling needed before Malaysia can take advantage of Industry 4.0, say economists
Published 2 hours ago on 27 May 2019

by Azril Annuar
2608rafidah.jpg

Tan Sri Rafidah Aziz told Malay Mail that the old education format can no longer cope with the demands of Industry 4.0 which requires knowledge in all areas of related services as well as production and supply chains. — Picture by KE Ooi
KUALA LUMPUR, May 27 — A culture of continuous learning and constant upskilling is required before Malaysia can participate in Industry 4.0, says economists.

AirAsia X chairman Tan Sri Rafidah Aziz told Malay Mail that the old education format can no longer cope with the demands of Industry 4.0 which requires knowledge in all areas of related services as well as production and supply chains.

“A ‘revolution in education’ is required to be in line with the dynamics of the marketplace domestically, regionally and globally.

“Education is the lynchpin to a Malaysia moving forward successfully in the highly competitive operating environment.

“Failure to revolutionise the education system, structure and software and content will render Malaysia unable to meet the new demands and imperatives,” said the former international trade and industry minister.

Rafidah was responding to observations made by academics that in the event of a trade war escalation between the Asian superpower and its Western counterpart, China would prefer to shift their industrial operations to Vietnam, Cambodia or other countries in the South-east Asian region.

Despite Putrajaya and various chambers of commerce saying that Malaysia can take advantage of the trade war, analysts pointed out that Malaysia is not among the top picks for China due to its lower skilled labour coupled with higher wages.

To address this issue, Rafidah believes that a revamp of the overall higher education spectrum is needed to effectively close the gap between the supply and demand for human resource in the new economic sectors.

“Firstly, a good proportion (of graduates) have done courses or studies that have very little or no relevance to what business and industry require in their operations.

“Many do no not reinforce their knowledge base by additionally adding on ICT related skills and competence. In the highly competitive knowledge-based industries and sectors, there certainly is no place for graduates of studies in the humanities courses,” she pointed out.

University of Tasmania’s director of Asia Institute Tasmania James Chin said the onus of training and upskilling Malaysia’s available manpower does not lie with the workers alone.

He said employers must also shoulder the burden and help train their workers so the nation as a whole can become more capable and by virtue of being skillful, climb up the economic ladder.

“The problem is not how cheap but how skilled your workers are. Malaysian workers are not that skilled and have low productivity. Malaysian employers don’t like paying for training and thus we have a problem.

“That is why we must move up the economic ladder, by producing higher-end stuff,” Chin observed.

Asian Strategic Leadership Institute (Asli) Centre for Public Policy chairman Tan Sri Ramon Navaratnam added his two sen saying that education efforts on B40 workers must be made part of the New Economic Model and a shift in that policy is urgently required.

Believing that in every crisis there is an opportunity, Ramon told Malay Mail that the nation should use this escalation to accelerate training processes and ensure that the nation’s workforce is capable for Industry 4.0 and the demands required by Chinese companies.

“If we look at it as a challenge and opportunity and accelerate the process of change and transformation, we can become more efficient. We must adjust our education fast enough so people can improve their domestic skills.

“We must share our growth with the poor. We must enhance our productivity through technology and have programmes where even farmers and fishermen can increase their yield through technology,” said Ramon.

I am speechless. RM248 million for an out-dated draw bridge just to bring in tourist? There is already a bridge across the river and its traffic is hardly at full capacity.
Screenshot (215).png

Please bring back the giant leatherback turtle, and prevent sells of greenback turtle eggs in Kuala Trengganu wet market, these are bigger tourist and environmental agenda.

Also the Kuala Trengganu general hospital is over filled with ward patients, especially the 3rd class ward. In two weeks spent in 3rd class ward, I witness death of at least 2 patients in the ward, shortage of beds and potable equipment for measuring blood pressure and heart beats, surprisingly, no enough nurse in the 3rd class ward (complained by one of the nurse on duty). 2nd class ward was fully occupied and was opened only to government civil servants and VIPs. 1st class ward was opened only to VVIP.

RM248 million could be well used for improvement of the largest hospital in Kuala Terengganu and smaller hospitals and clinics in smaller towns and villages.

AirAsia goes BIG with sale of 5 million promo seats
airasia.ashx

OR a limited time only, AirAsia is taking its "free seats sale" to new heights, launching a bigger and better BIG sale of five million promotional seats.

Enjoy promotional all-in AirAsia BIG members fares from as low as RM12* for flights from Kuala Lumpur to Penang and Johor Bahru, RM89* to Lombok and Nha Trang, RM139* to Shantou and Bhubaneswar, and many more.

Fly AirAsia X from as low as RM179* from Kuala Lumpur to Chongqing, RM279* to Osaka, and others.

For extra comfort and perks, try AirAsia's award-winning Premium Flatbed from Kuala Lumpur to Jaipur from only RM699*, RM799* to Jeju and Taipei, RM899* to Perth, and more.

Guests enjoy free flights when they book a flights-plus-hotel holiday package** on airasia.com. Guests wishing to book only hotels or activities can take advantage of discounts of up to 50% on selected hotels and up to 30% on a wide-range of activities to complete their holiday.

“There’s never been a better time to book your next holiday with AirAsia. In addition to the five million promo fares we’ve got on sale, AirAsia will waive all processing fees for guests who pay using BigClick*," said AirAsia group chief commercial officer Karen Chan.

Book on airasia.com or via the AirAsia mobile app from June 17 (0001h GMT +8) to June 19 (2400 GMT +8) for travel between Nov 1, 2019 and Sept 8, 2020.

AirAsia BIG members, BigPay users and Hong Leong AirAsia credit card holders will be able to take advantage of a 24-hour priority access period starting June 16 (0001h GMT +8). Simply log in and pay with BigPay to access seats at the lowest fares.

AirAsia BIG members will also be able to redeem promotional seats for as little as 500 BIG points on airasiabig.com and the AirAsia BIG mobile app.

Guests who wish to make changes to their booking or purchase additional add-ons such as pre-booked Santan meals and Pick A Seat may do so at the My Bookings page in just three simple steps – Enter, Select and Pay.

For the latest AirAsia news, activities and promotions, follow AirAsia on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

*All-in AirAsia BIG members fares including taxes and fees. BigClick zero processing fees applies to bookings made from June 10-30, 2019. Refer to terms and conditions.

**Flight+hotel packages must be booked together at the same time in order to enjoy free seats. Free seats only available for travel between Nov 1, 2019 and April 30, 2020. All sample packages quoted are for accommodation during the stated period. All taxes must be paid at the time of purchase unless otherwise stated. Additional fees shall be applicable for checked baggage.

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nat...of-5-million-promo-seats/#vtb9fdk2q1flEZvb.99

The second LMS (littoral mission ship) was launched in Wuhan, China. The ship is numbered 112 and named Sundang.

Msia LMS 112 Sundang 2019 July.jpg

Kota Belud told to expect explosions and low-flying aircraft as RMAF conducts exercise on Friday (July 25)

KOTA KINABALU: Don’t be alarmed If you hear explosions and fighter jets zooming across at low-level in the skies above Kota Belud on Friday (July 25) – the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) is just carrying out an exercise there.

According to a statement by the RMAF on Thursday (July 25), the Air Force will be conducting a missile launching and an air-to-ground exercise in Kota Belud from now until Aug 10.

The exercise will also involve the navy and maritime enforcement agency for surface clearance and other duties.

The public has been urged to keep calm when they hear explosions and see low-flying aircraft during this period.

This exercise is to test the skills and capabilities of pilots and weapon handlers in the Air Force.

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nat...g-exercise-in-kota-belud/#BRFpMLIt7FUkfjeE.99
RMAF 250719.jpg

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nat...g-exercise-in-kota-belud/#BRFpMLIt7FUkfjeE.99

ERCL high speed rail project has restarted, begin with Dungun to Mentakab stretch. BTW Dungun is my hometown.

Dungun Tunnel thumb.jpg

A King’s wish for peace and unity

KUALA LUMPUR: As he prepares to be installed as the 16th Yang di-Pertuan Agong on his 60th birthday on Tuesday, Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah is making it clear that he wants to see a Malaysia whose citizens are united and living in a peaceful, stable and harmonious country during his five-year reign.

However, Sultan Abdullah was quick to acknowledge that his wish may not be fulfilled in the short term.

“I am being realistic. I do not dare to promise (that a united Malaysia) will happen, but that is my wish. I will be very sad if over the next five years, our country is in chaos,” he said.

The King also expressed his hope that the government under the leadership of Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad would further strengthen the country’s economy, improve the well-being of the people and be more active in helping those who in need.“I can only pray that we do not face this problem (chaos). I hope the rakyat will be cautious and continue to be wise in deciding the country’s future,” the King said in an interview with The Star.

Sultan Abdullah, who was proclaimed the King on Jan 31, said he had been anxiously waiting for the installation ceremony to take place.

“It has been more than 160 days. I want to get it over and done with. I want to concentrate on my tasks as the Yang di-Pertuan Agong.

“Yes, the installation ceremony is important for the institution of the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, which is part of the elements of the constitutional monarchy and parliamentary democracy.

“This is a tradition for each Yang di-Pertuan Agong to undergo and,

of course, it is an important event for me, especially, to be installed as the 16th King.”

On Jan 15, Sultan Abdullah was proclaimed the sixth Sultan of Pahang, taking over from Almarhum Sultan Ahmad Shah.

On Jan 24, he was elected the 16th Yang di-Pertuan Agong during the Special Meeting of the Conference of Rulers.

Sultan Abdullah took the oath and signed the instrument of office on Jan 31.

This was the first time a sitting King granted an interview to the media in recent times.

Over the course of the hour-long interview, Sultan Abdullah spoke on a wide range of issues including his legacy, family, passion for sports and his subjects.

He was also asked his thoughts on the challenge that the Malays were divided.

In a carefully worded reply, the King said he could only give advice.

“We are in the same boat and we cannot afford to have citizens who are not united.

“We always talk about unity, I touched on it in my address in Parliament. We have to prove this (unity). Please do not overreact and try to cause animosity, I would be quite worried if this continues,” he said.

Sultan Abdullah also addressed the question of the royals under attack, especially on social media.

Saying that he could only speak on behalf of Istana Pahang, Sultan Abdullah pointed out that the royals were no different because just like any institution or palace, they were constantly being watched by the people.

“As long as you do something for the rakyat and give something to them, that is the least we can do without politicising (it). Usually when we are deemed to be trying to politicise something, that is when we will be criticised heavily.

“But let me say it here – when we are trying to get close to the rakyat, it is for humanitarian reasons and of our own goodwill, and not to get praises or votes. That has never crossed my mind,” he said.

Sultan Abdullah also said he was constantly reminded of the need for the monarchy to be relevant in a more open political and democratic atmosphere.

“If you feel that you are here as a museum piece, then you will end up in a museum. If you are here to serve and to be with the people, I am sure the people will know how to value you.

“I can’t speak for the future; this is all Allah’s will. Whatever system there may be, there is no guarantee that it will be there forever.

“I thank God that our constitutional monarchy has been in existence for so long and it depends on the rakyat to decide on this.

“I pray that what is more important is to have the best system (in place) for Malaysia so that the people are protected, as well as race and religion,” he said.

When asked whether he felt any pressure from certain groups, he did not deny it, though he described it as normal.

“It is a way of life. You will feel the pressure in any position of leadership. The question is, how do you manage such pressure? For me, I will try to understand the issue.

“I will engage with the respective people and we try to settle it through discussions. There is no problem that cannot be resolved if we sit at the same table and discuss it.

“Other countries also face their own problems, but our advantage is that we live in a multiracial and multireligious country with complex and very sensitive issues.

“So, we must understand the sensitivity of certain issues and if possible, we should avoid them and not twist them to the point of causing disunity among the people,” he said.

The King also addressed the question that many see the Sultans as being linked only to the Malays and Islam.

“The Raja-Raja Melayu must be Sultans for all races. I am a Malay and will automatically uphold my religion, but this does not mean that we should look down on other religions or other races. Not at all.

“On my part, in Pahang, we have never claimed that certain religions were wrong or certain races were wrong. No!

“Together we built a state or country and we should not be judgmental towards anyone for that matter. The perception given is not quite correct.

“Do not accuse the monarchy of being only for the Malays. That is not the way,” Sultan Abdullah said.

He also said it was not right to encroach on other religions.

“We have to respect other religions and races. There is no such thing as suppressing other religions or other (races). That is not right.

“We should not talk like that. We should co-exist and live together in our country, Malaysia. Don’t be suspicious and start apportioning blame on certain races,” he added.

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nat...wish-for-peace-and-unity/#yjB14A5OZ0E01bXs.99

Good news and a brilliant Idea from Dr M for Malaysia .... Malaysia will acquire the majority ownership of Turkey Aerospace Industries (TAI) soon and will move its kilang to Malaysia if it legally completed ...:victory::yahoo::cheers:

FB_IMG_1564295547596-640x381.jpg

Last edited:
Good news and a brilliant Ide from Dr M for Malaysia .... Malaysia will acquire the majority ownership of Turkey Aerospace Industries (TAI) soon and will move its kilang to Malaysia if it legally completed ...:victory::yahoo::cheers:

FB_IMG_1564295547596-640x381.jpg
do you have any link that said turkey are willing to sell TAI to malaysia!!??
this is what i got googling it, that turkey are willing to help malaysia with defence product but not selling TAI to malaysia
https://www.malaymail.com/news/mala...d-malaysias-foray-into-defence-indust/1775137

Good news for Malaysia ... Betol-lah itu ... Diam itu Mas .... Seems we are smarter than our jiran with its PTDI in this industry .....:yahoo::cheers:

67820872_957082561350401_4477096719921709056_n.jpg

Our supported facilities and infrastructure to be a developed country in science and technology

Malaysian Technology/Innovation Institutes/Training Centre

Technology Park Malaysia - TPM
Bukit Jalil, Kuala Lumpur
www.tpm.com.my/

image.jpg

http://ww1.kosmo.com.my/kosmo/conten...a&pg=ru_01.htm

MEASAT Satellite Systems Sdn Bhd
Cyberjaya, Selangor
Malaysian communications satellite operator, which owns and operates the MEASAT (Malaysia East Asia Satellite) and AFRICASAT spacecraft. The company provides satellite services to leading international broadcasters, Direct-To-Home (DTH) platforms and telecom operators. With capacity across six communication satellites, the company provides satellite services to over 150 countries representing 80% of the world's population across Asia, Middle East, Africa, Europe and Australia.
http://www.measat.com/

gdp_web_measat_header.jpg

http://gdparchitects.com/2015/?proje...oadcast-centre

National applied research and development (R&D) agency MIMOS Bhd
Kulim High Tech Park, Kedah
http://www.mimos.my/
MIMOS Berhad (or MIMOS) is a research and development centre in Malaysia under purview of the Malaysian Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI). The company was founded as the Malaysian Institute of Microelectronic Systems in 1985.

tb_-_mimos_-_2.jpg

NATIONAL SPACE CENTRE (Agensi Angkasa Negara)
BANTING, SELANGOR
http://www.arkitekfaa.com/resch-2-na...centre-banting

114-C678-B-9-B1-A-4346-A926-3-CF34-DE8-DA4-A.jpg

The Asian Institute of Medicine, Science and Technology (AIMST) University
Sungai Petani, Kedah

library.jpg

Malaysian Global Innovation and Creativity Centre (MaGIC) Headquarters
Cyberjaya, Selangor

magic-cyberjaya-campus.jpg

https://mymagic.my/facilities/cyberj...working-space/

Standard and Industrial Research Institute of Malaysia (SIRIM)
Kuantan, Pahang
SIRIM is a corporate organisation owned wholly by the Malaysian Government, under the Minister of Finance Incorporated. It has been entrusted by the Malaysian Government to be the national organisation for standards and quality, and as a promoter of technological excellence in the Malaysian industry.

image.jpg

http://www.dasazman.com/sirim.html

Advanced Technology Training Centre (ADTEC)
Alor Gajah, Melaka

17434902_633988856790093_409391768284874305_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/25158575836...type=1&theater

Malaysia retains position in Global Innovation Index 2019
Bernama July 25, 2019 14:59 pm +08

KUALA LUMPUR (July 25): Malaysia retains its 35th position in the Global Innovation Index (GII) 2019 and remains among the middle-income economies that are bridging the innovation divide, supported by its first rank in indicators such as high-tech net exports and creative goods exports.

Malaysia improves its rankings in four of the seven GII pillars: institutions (40th), infrastructure (42nd), business sophistication (36th), and creative outputs (44th), said a joint statement released by INSEAD, the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) and Cornell University.

“At the indicator level, the most significant improvements are in quality of universities, where Malaysia ranks 17th this year, and Gross Domestic Expenditure on research and development (GERD) performed by business, as well as GERD financed by business, where it takes the 25th and 16th positions, respectively.

“In several indicators, Malaysia ranks in the top 10; these include graduates in science and engineering (8th), university-industry research collaboration (8th), state of cluster development (8th), and several trade-related variables-such as high-tech imports and high-tech net exports and creative goods exports,” it said.

Co-published by INSEAD, WIPO, a specialised agency of the United Nations, and Cornell University, the GII is a leading benchmarking tool for business executives, policy makers and others seeking insight into the state of innovation around the world.

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/artic...ion-index-2019

06.jpg

KL second friendliest city in the world, survey finds
214791.jpg

PETALING JAYA: Keep on smiling, Malaysians. Kuala Lumpur emerged as the second friendliest city in the world, according to Big 7 Travel.

The capital of Malaysia is only behind Vancouver, Canada in the list of 50 Friendliest City In The World, according to a survey carried put by the global travel site on some 1.5 million people.

Other cities, which made the Top 10, include Bruges, Belgium (in third place), Taipei, Taiwan (4th), Hamburg, Germany (5th), Dublin, Ireland (6th), and Christchurch, New Zealand (7th).

Neighbouring South-East Asian cities to Kuala Lumpur, which made it to the Top 50 list are Chiang Mai, Thailand (11th), Siem Reap, Cambodia (20th), Singapore (24th), and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (46th).

"Malaysians are naturally friendly and nice to strangers, and Kuala Lumpur is the best example of this. The easy-going temperament of locals and their friendliness towards visitors means that it’s easy to make friends here.

"KL is a top spot for both tourists and expats, " Big 7 Travel wrote on its website.

The website also noted that these cities across the globe make one feel welcomed based on "how easy the city is to navigate or strangers helping you find your way when that pesky roaming data doesn’t work, to making new best friends in a local bar".

Big 7 Travel noted that Asian cities rated highly overall, with several US and Canada cities also making it into the Top 10.

Earlier this year, the travel website named Malaysia among the top 20 "most Instagrammable countries".

Malaysia emerged among the best travel destinations, including Penang, by CNN Travel for one of the best destinations to visit for the ultimate Asia experience in June this year, as well as topping the 2017 Global Muslim Travel Index as the best Muslim travel destination in the world.

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nat...in-the-world-survey-finds#OyUEjAO7Q15yA8we.99

Zaid Ibrahim is a former Law Minister in Malaysian government. His remarks are always sharp to the point.

View attachment 573935

https://www.malaymail.com/news/mala...-lots-of-other-work/1780582#.XVO7FxWLhSU.link

Most of the times he is right on point, with some frequent misfires. As long as communal race based politics is alive and well in Malaysia, there is little to no hope for change here. I think the way PH government had mishandled pretty much all the major issues in recent year or so clearly shows either the cabinet is full of incompetent ministers or are unable to shed their long acquired habits.

In the whole of the cabinet I see only two people working the hardest, TDM and Lim Guan. The rest of them are mere clowns for the most part and leading the charge among them is the Works and Human Resources minister. When ever I read this guy, cant help but cringe.

The way things are moving, unless big crooks like Najib and his closest allies are sent to jail with recovery of money, PAS is gonna wipe the floor with all PH parties in North and East Malaysia and be in a position to be the real king makers. PKR had been nothing but one disappointment after another. The chauvinists from all sides are having a field day.

Back
Top Bottom