What's new

Malala to fund Swat school project with Angelina Jolie

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
By AFP Published: April 5, 2013

LONDON: A fund set up by Malala Yousafzai, who was shot by the Taliban for campaigning for girls’ education, is to send 40 girls to school in her home region with the support of US actor Angelina Jolie.

Malala, 15, announced the fund’s first project in a video message late Thursday to the Women in the World Conference in New York from Britain, where she was sent for surgery after the attack on her schoolbus last October.

She said the $45,000 grant, raised with the help of Jolie and two women’s charities, would send 40 girls aged between five and 12 to school in Swat Valley, where she is from.

“Announcing the first grant of the Malala Fund is the happiest moment in my life,” Malala said.

“Let us turn the education of 40 girls into 40 million girls.”

The location and name of the project will not be released for security reasons, the Malala Fund said.

It will provide a safe place to study as well as financial support for the families of the girls, who the fund said would otherwise be engaged in domestic labour or possibly sent to work.

Jolie, who introduced Malala’s video message, hailed the schoolgirl’s courage and pledged to give $200,000 to the fund.

“In a brutal attempt to silence her voice, it grew louder,” Jolie told the conference.

Malala, who has been nominated for this year’s Nobel Peace Prize, first rose to prominence aged 11 with a blog for the BBC‘s Urdu service charting her life under the Taliban.

Her attempted murder sparked worldwide condemnation and millions of people have signed petitions supporting her cause.

She had surgery in February to repair the hole in her skull left by the gunman’s bullet, and returned to school last month in Birmingham, the city in central England where she was treated.
Malala’s father has taken a job as an education attache at the Pakistani consulate in the city, which has a large Pakistani community.

Good job by both of the ladies and thanks to all who are supporting this fund.

Angelina Jolie really has been a true UN ambassador. SHe also came and gave some charities in the floods if I remember correctly.

The Taliban will never shoot another girl again... considering how it has brilliantly back fired on them ...

Angelina Jolie really has been a true UN ambassador. SHe also came and gave some charities in the floods if I remember correctly.

true that... i remember she visited your president's house and gave him a good firing to him and his family .....

Malala is the heroine of Swat. She has done a lot for Pakistan and has made it her life purpose to serve the people. I respect her from the bottom of my heart

Uneducated girls make poor mothers lacking the concept of modern hygiene, sanitation & birth control. On the other hand educated mothers can assist their children in school homework as well help in the family income thru part time work. Affluent housewives can educate other women at home thru voluntary work.

IMO keeping 50% of the population illiterate is the greatest impediment in the economic progress of any country.Keeping women uneducated may be part of Pashtun tribal culture but Islam is certainly not against female literacy. Well done Malala.

“Seeking knowledge is a duty of every Muslim, man or woman”. (Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 218)

Good job by both of the ladies and thanks to all who are supporting this fund.

Now would be a good time for the government and for Pakistani philanthropists to announce matching funds for this noble effort too so that their support is made evident to the whole world too.

It is great to see her doing well. She continues to set an example for girls around the world. We commend her bravery and wish her best of luck.

Ali Khan
DET, United States Central Command
U.S. Central Command

Now would be a good time for the government and for Pakistani philanthropists to announce matching funds for this noble effort too so that their support is made evident to the whole world too.

What Pakistan needs is an educational counterpart to the Edhi Foundation.

A private foundation, headed by an honest person like Edhi, where ordinary people can donate funds to set up a parallel education system. Maybe the government can be shamed into action, because it has been utterly shameless in abrogation of its duties so far.

What Pakistan needs is an educational counterpart to the Edhi Foundation.

A private foundation, headed by an honest person like Edhi, where ordinary people can donate funds to set up a parallel education system. Maybe the government can be shamed into action, because it has been utterly shameless in its duties so far.

Our government is beyond all shame, but I agree that the next great Edhi to rise will be in the field of education. I hope Imran Khan gets into power, but if he does not succeed, this could be his next great project.

Health, education and defense are three sectors where policies need to be sustained across government without interruptions. Any time is a good time to start, I think.

Sadly that isn't the case. The previous government didn't give any policy to follow upon...new policies can only be formulated after a new government comes in place.

What we need is a private organization that will monitor public schools and, for each locality, issue periodic report cards on

-- teacher attendance and competence
-- adherence to curriculum
-- school facilities
-- student achievements on national tests
-- etc.

This is needed regardless of whichever government is in power and whatever it promises.

Back
Top Bottom