What's new

Major Indian cities put on high alert following intelligence inputs about strike by al Qaeda: Report

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
434623-al-qaeda700.jpg

Representational Image
Zee Media Bureau

Delhi: Police in Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Bengaluru, Hyderabad have been put on high alert following intelligence inputs about strike by terror group al Qaeda, as per a media report.

As per a CNN IBN report, targets are public places, tourist spots, iconic buildings, places of worship.

The report also said that that sates have been asked to take precautionary measures following the threat.

Also Read: Is al Qaeda recruiting Kashmiri youth? Report makes startling revelations

Meanwhile, yesterday in Kuala Lumpur, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had warned that terrorism was the "biggest threat" to the world and that it should be delinked from religion.

In a veiled reference to Pakistan, PM Modi also pitched for new global anti-terror strategies while ensuring that no country should give sanctuary to it.

He had also underlined the need for ensuring that Internet did not become a "recruiting ground" for terrorism, amid the growing trend of ISIS luring youth from across the globe, and spoke about the world coming together to use "military force" and "international legal systems" to fight the menace.

He had referred to the recent attacks in Paris, Ankara, Mali and on the Russian plane and had said that terrorism was not a "peripheral problem" for the Asian region but its shadow stretched across the world, both in recruitment and choice of targets.

(With PTI inputs)

Download the all new Zee News app forAndroid and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.

Major Indian cities put on high alert following intelligence inputs about strike by al Qaeda: Report | Zee News

hmm, so qaeda wants to recover its global bad boy image which isil had taken away.

Why would Al Qaeda attack India or even anyother country in the region ????

Why would Al Qaeda attack India or even anyother country in the region ????
A giant country with a billion kaffir and infidels plus isn't the reason strong enough?

I am sure our sickulars will welcome Al Qaida with open arms as it is the only way to curb the rising intolerance and writers may take their awards back to express solidarity with the jihadi cause

In a veiled reference to Pakistan, PM Modi also pitched for new global anti-terror strategies while ensuring that no country should give sanctuary to it.
@Spectre @Star Wars @ranjeet @MilSpec @Aminroop

What I have been saying for a while now-the PMO/NSA/MEA have a very specific agenda to "address" the Pakistani "issue" and it is a long term plan- the groundwork is being laid rather meticiously and, for once, the GoI (accross all relevent ministeries) is acting in unison as per a strategic iniative. I'm not entirely confident I know what the logical end to all this work is but it is certainly going to put Pakistan (and those who "support" it) in a very precarious position.

I'm not saying they are going to be succesful but it is certainly going to be interesting to watch this play out.

What I have been saying for a while now-the PMO/NSA/MEA have a very specific agenda to "address" the Pakistani "issue" and it is a long term plan- the groundwork is being laid rather meticiously and, for once, the GoI (accross all relevent ministeries) is acting in unison as per a strategic iniative. I'm not entirely confident I know what the logical end to all this work is but it is certainly going to put Pakistan (and those who "support" it) in a very precarious position.

I'm not saying they are going to be succesful but it is certainly going to be interesting to watch this play out.
I am a lil apprehensive about their activities, I do not see any results yet.
Or may be its too early- long term plans have bigger impacts with months and years of silence. But any long term plan can not extend beyond 5 years unless Modi comes to power again. what if he doesn't?

Off topic:
I was reading this thread... Just incase you missed it. :)

Turkey shoots down "Russian Jet" near border

India hasn't suffered a major terror act since Mumbai. Pakistan has faced dozens. Instead of sympathizing with us and our policy of fighting right wing terrorists-something India has never done all they do is blame us. And their blaming power has been copied by Washington. I feel it is a failure of Pakistani foreign policy that our reputation is so bad. And choosing poor allies.

There is a huge blind spot where Pakistan is concerned, expect nothing concrete will happen as West can't afford to alienate one of the only front line Muslim Country which is willing to play footsie with the west and Jihadists - Pakistan to be blunt is a necessary evil which has to be suffered because the alternative is far worse as long as Pakistan does not over play it's hand. If it does that then expect disengagement from Pakistan - No amount of Chinese charity is gonna make up for loss of IMF/WB/EU/USAID.

India has winning hand - If Pakistan goes overboard in it's sympathies to terrorist - We win and Pakistan Looses! and if it does not still We Win along with Pakistan!!

I am a lil apprehensive about their activities, I do not see any results yet.
Or may be its too early- long term plans have bigger impacts with months and years of silence. But any long term plan can not extend beyond 5 years unless Modi comes to power again. what if he doesn't?
This is a long term plan and I would not expect to see results right now. This strategy seems to have been in place quite early into Modi's term but has certainly picked up speed in the past 10 or so months. Watch Modi's visits and read the text of his speechs- they are very consistent, there is not the usual "lip service" to terrorism but again and again the reference that there is no such thing as a "good terrorist", a clear definition of terrorism needs to be established and any state that is engaging in such activity needs to be isolated and tackled by the global community.

I don't know how long it will take to see the fruits of this strategy- a lot will depend on global events (as horrific as it is to say but the Paris attacks played into Modi's hands as has the general ramping up of the anti-ISIS agenda in both Moscow and Washington). And the hardest nut to crack will be China- they are the ones who will make or break this strategy, the US will fall in line because of the immense public hatred of (it has to be said, Islamic) terrorism (to an almost fanatical degree). But the Chinese leadership, because of its poltical structure, is more isolated from public opnion and thus immune from a lot of international pressure where such matters are concerned. However, that the Chinese did not veto (and in fact favoured) the UN Security council's unequivocal condemnation of the attacks in Paris and passed a resolution which called upon member states which have the capacity to do so to take "all necessary measures" to redouble and co-ordinate their efforts to eradicate the safe haven established by IS in significant parts of Iraq and Syria is a MAJOR signal I would say.

Like I have said, it will be interesting to watch this play out- state sponsered terrorism is going to come under immense scrutiny in the coming months/years and Pakistan is right at the top of that list. In 2003 geopoltical compulsions meant that Pakistan was left of the "axis of evil" list by George W Bush, would they be immune to such a label in 2015? How long is it before global nuclear proliferation agenda switches to Pakistan now that the Iran deal is all but done? Pakistan's sins in this regard (AQ Khan) are going to compound the hostility the international community will have for them.

And whilst I think it is largely irrlevent now, if the Pakistani response is as stupid as to threaten India with tactical nuclear weapons whilst their NSA is on a visit to the US then they are only going hasten what could be inevitable.

India hasn't suffered a major terror act since Mumbai. Pakistan has faced dozens.
The world can see through this argument (that I consistently hear). There is a clear correlation-causation link here and as the former US secratary of state commented "You can't keep snakes in your backyard and expect them to only bite your neighbor".

The US also hasn't suffered a major terror attack since 9/11- what does this mean?

. Instead of sympathizing with us and our policy of fighting right wing terrorists
As @Aminroop pointed out- India (and the world) has sympathised (the Peshawar school incident is sadly the percet exmple) but that doesn't mean Pakistan will enjoy infinite sympathy. For as long as Pakistan continues to harbour/aid terrorists it will be rather easy to point out the duplicity of the Pakistani state that will immediately erode any such support/sympathy.

This is a long term plan and I would not expect to see results right now. This strategy seems to have been in place quite early into Modi's term but has certainly picked up speed in the past 10 or so months. Watch Modi's visits and read the text of his speechs- they are very consistent, there is not the usual "lip service" to terrorism but again and again the reference that there is no such thing as a "good terrorist", a clear definition of terrorism needs to be established and any state that is engaging in such activity needs to be isolated and tackled by the global community.

I don't know how long it will take to see the fruits of this strategy- a lot will depend on global events (as horrific as it is to say but the Paris attacks played into Modi's hands as has the general ramping up of the anti-ISIS agenda in both Moscow and Washington). And the hardest nut to crack will be China- they are the ones who will make or break this strategy, the US will fall in line because of the immense public hatred of (it has to be said, Islamic) terrorism (to an almost fanatical degree). But the Chinese leadership, because of its poltical structure, is more isolated from public opnion and thus immune from a lot of international pressure where such matters are concerned. However, that the Chinese did not veto (and in fact favoured) the UN Security council's unequivocal condemnation of the attacks in Paris and passed a resolution which called upon member states which have the capacity to do so to take "all necessary measures" to redouble and co-ordinate their efforts to eradicate the safe haven established by IS in significant parts of Iraq and Syria is a MAJOR signal I would say.

Like I have said, it will be interesting to watch this play out- state sponsered terrorism is going to come under immense scrutiny in the coming months/years and Pakistan is right at the top of that list. In 2003 geopoltical compulsions meant that Pakistan was left of the "axis of evil" list by George W Bush, would they be immune to such a label in 2015? How long is it before global nuclear proliferation agenda switches to Pakistan now that the Iran deal is all but done? Pakistan's sins in this regard (AQ Khan) are going to compound the hostility the international community will have for them.

And whilst I think it is largely irrlevent now, if the Pakistani response is as stupid as to threaten India with tactical nuclear weapons whilst their NSA is on a visit to the US then they are only going hasten what could be inevitable.

The world can see through this argument (that I consistently hear). There is a clear correlation-causation link here and as the former US secratary of state commented "You can't keep snakes in your backyard and expect them to only bite your neighbor".

The US also hasn't suffered a major terror attack since 9/11- what does this mean?

As @Aminroop pointed out- India (and the world) has sympathised (the Peshawar school incident is sadly the percet exmple) but that doesn't mean Pakistan will enjoy infinite sympathy. For as long as Pakistan continues to harbour/aid terrorists it will be rather easy to point out the duplicity of the Pakistani state that will immediately erode any such support/sympathy.
It means stop blaming us.

we did!
When APS was attacked, India supported Pakistan. You forgot it too soon.
Sympathizing in public and calling us terrorists in public should not go together.

But seeing how Congress is getting cozy with Pakistan lately I fear they might derail this agenda. I hope better sense prevail and they play along with the present government of the sake of the country.

There is a huge blind spot where Pakistan is concerned, expect nothing concrete will happen as West can't afford to alienate one of the only front line Muslim Country which is willing to play footsie with the west and Jihadists - Pakistan to be blunt is a necessary evil which has to be suffered because the alternative is far worse as long as Pakistan does not over play it's hand. If it does that then expect disengagement from Pakistan - No amount of Chinese charity is gonna make up for loss of IMF/WB/EU/USAID.

India has winning hand - If Pakistan goes overboard in it's sympathies to terrorist - We win and Pakistan Looses! and if it does not still We Win along with Pakistan!!
I'm not so sure sir, global events are moving faster than that and could signifanctly change the status quo.

1) US is drawing down in Afghanistan, their dependance of Pakistan for supporting their troops is waning
2) Iran is making baby steps to normalising its relations with the international community (long term there will be another land route into Afghanistan through Iran- Chabahar).
3)Saudi Arabia (a long standing ally of Pakistan) is engaged in its own "counter terrorist" operations in Yeman (not so sure how the UAE's apparent warming of ties with India factor in here)
4) Russia is getting more and more sucked into the ISIS fight (that a plane full of their citizens was downed by ISIS will rear its head at some time).
5) Audacious attacks in the West (Paris) have ignited anti Islamic extremism like I haven't seen since 9/11 and I will tell you it is not all directed at ISIS
6) As I have pointed out above- China is moving away from its tradtional non-commital/indifferent stance on such matters

India does not even have to do much itself, just present a compelling narrative that matches the feelings in many capitals (ie terrorism of every form is bad) which seems to be a relatively simply undertaking in these times. Once this narrative is established and some sort of firm foundation on an international setting is in place (UN most likely) what started out as an anti-ISIS sentiment can have some rather dramtic implications for all state sponserers of terror- Pakistan included.

Sympathizing in public and calling us terrorists in public should not go together.
There is a clear distinction to be made- the Indian public can have sympathy for the Pakistani people but not for the elements that have created such monsters. One can't expect a nuanced view of these things when it comes to public opnion- after 9/11 many Americans (and those in the West) saw Arabs/Muslims/even Sikhs as "terrorists" or "would-be terrorists".

It means stop blaming us.

When there is reason to blame you, why should you escape blame?

But seeing how Congress is getting cozy with Pakistan lately I fear they might derail this agenda. I hope better sense prevail and they play along with the present government of the sake of the country.
I don't have much time to think about those losers. The fact of the matter is they will fall in line, they aren't going to have any base if they publically side with a state that has been declared a state sponsorer of terror by the end of this strategy. Have the Congress not already started to distance themselves from the idiots that are Mani and Salman?

The Congress will fall in line, it makes no sense for them to play contrary in this instance.

Back
Top Bottom