What's new

Major cities may be closed down if current Covid-19 wave continues, warns Asad Umar

313ghazi

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Minister for Planning, Development and Special Initiatives Asad Umar on Wednesday said that the coronavirus situation in the country had become "extremely serious", adding that major cities may be closed down if the current trajectory continues.

Speaking to the media after chairing a meeting of the National Command and Operation Centre (NCOC), the minister urged the nation to understand the gravity of the situation. "Take care of yourself and your fellow Pakistanis. The situation needs to be taken seriously."

He added that the NCOC had taken decisions on further restrictions which would be shared with the provinces, adding that the steps will most likely be announced on Friday.

"Further restrictions will need to be imposed. Let me make it clear, the level at which the virus is spreading and our hospitals are filling up [...] if we don't act now, we will have no choice but to close down major cities," he warned.

"This is our last chance." He said that major cities were not being closed down right now, adding that there was a "margin of a few days".

"We are hopeful we will not have to take this ultimate step if the public shows cooperation and seriousness, and if the administration is able to play its part. Otherwise, we might not have a choice."

He also appealed to the chief ministers of each province to set aside their political differences and sit down with their health authorities. "We need leadership right now," he said, urging them to inform the public of the gravity of the situation.

Umar began the press conference by listing the positivity rates reported across major cities in Pakistan.

"Yesterday, the positivity rate in Mardan was 33 per cent, 26pc in Peshawar, 20pc in Nowshera, 38pc in Bahawalpur, 25pc in Faisalabad, 27pc in Lahore, 21pc in Multan and 28pc in Rawalpindi.

"Meanwhile in Sindh — which was faring better as the British variant was being reported in the northern parts of the country — the positivity rate in Karachi and Hyderabad was 13pc and 14pc, respectively."

The minister explained that due to a rise in cases, there had also been an uptick in patients going to hospitals.

"The number of patients visiting hospitals on a daily basis has risen from between 100 to 150 to over 600. The condition of some patients further deteriorates once they reach the hospital and they have to be given oxygen," Umar said, adding that the country now had more than 4,500 such patients.

"Last year in June, during the peak of the pandemic, we had approximately 3,400 patients on oxygen. This means there has been a 30pc increase since the first wave of the pandemic."

The minister said that the Centre and the provinces had worked very hard to increase oxygen beds and the capacity of hospitals which is why the situation "was being handled".

"But there are some cities across the country where 80pc of ventilators are in use. This means that if a city has 100 ventilators, 80 of them are being used."

He added that in addition to this, the country was also consuming more than 90pc of the total oxygen produced. "We are seeing the oxygen supply chain increasing to dangerous levels."

Umar highlighted that a similar situation was also being witnessed in other countries in the region, citing the examples of India and Iran.

"Two months ago, India was reporting 14,000 cases. Yesterday, it reported nearly 0.3 million cases in a single day." He added that the number of deaths had gone up from 90 two months ago to 1,761 two days ago.

"So a dangerous wave is being witnessed in the region. We have also seen that a new variant, the double mutant variant, is being reported in India. And that is why we have imposed restrictions on travellers from India," he said.

A day earlier, Umar had said that the country's oxygen supply capacity was under stress, adding that the need for safety precautions was greater than ever.

"Global Covid-19 cases exceeding 750,000 per day and deaths more than 13,000. We are seeing some of the worst numbers since the pandemic started. Our neighborhood [is] in severe crises. Daily deaths in Iran [are] more than 300 and more than 1,600 in India," he said.

"Hospital fill up continuing to grow. Critical care patients now above 4,500, which is 30 per cent higher than peak in June last year. Oxygen supply capacity in the country is now under stress," he said, adding the compliance with standard operating procedures (SOPs) remains low.

"We are making a huge mistake by not following SOPs."

Better to do it sooner than later. Selective lockdowns needed.

If hospitals become overwhelmed people will blame government and not take personal responsibility for situation.

I regularly wash hands, but I am called "paranoid".

Yesterday i went to a mosque with a mask n people were like "oh Allah se daro corona se q darty ho" n as u said in the end they will blame gov f9r everything
Better to do it sooner than later. Selective lockdowns needed.

If hospitals become overwhelmed people will blame government and not take personal responsibility for situation.

I regularly wash hands, but I am called "paranoid".

Yesterday i went to a mosque with a mask n people were like "oh Allah se daro corona se q darty ho" n as u said in the end they will blame gov f9r everything

In the last 20 years we've become a parody of the dumbass Islamist society we were portrayed as.

Last year Eid ul Fitr was on 24/25 May. 10 days before/during that time people went for shopping like crazy as it was Eid and they were freshly out of lockdown and met/greet on Eid as if it was nothing. They price of which we paid in next month when our cases sky rocketed to the peak of 6825 cases a day, our first wave.

This should be avoided this year as we are already in the middle of 3rd wave and our daily cases are hovering around 4500-6100.

There are some problems though from economy point of view. Our shopkeeper brothers especially in clothing sector make the 1/3rd of their annual sale because of Eid season. So it's important for them. Also, then there is entire textile industry which is dependent on it.

So, there should be some win win solution which we need to find. Public awareness needs to be increased.

Hoping for better days.

Last year Eid ul Fitr was on 24/25 May. 10 days before/during that time people went for shopping like crazy as it was Eid and they were freshly out of lockdown and met/greet on Eid as if it was nothing. They price of which we paid in next month when our cases sky rocketed to the peak of 6825 cases a day, our first wave.

This should be avoided this year as we are already in the middle of 3rd wave and our daily cases are hovering around 4500-6100.

There are some problems though from economy point of view. Our shopkeeper brothers especially in clothing sector make the 1/3rd of their annual sale because of Eid season. So it's important for them. Also, then there is entire textile industry which is dependent on it.

So, there should be some win win solution which we need to find. Public awareness needs to be increased.

Hoping for better days.
Oh my you haven't yet seen the markets yet in Lahore. They are overflowing with shoppers.

are india/pakistan borders closed now?
bcoz the situation in india is getting serious, pakistan cannot take the risk to induct people from highly dangerous areas...

TLP helping the spread of the virus, first through Khadim's massive funeral, and now through their nationwide riots with 0 social distancing.

What is the level of testing in Pakistan? Is it as smooth and easily accessible as UK?
I know I had to pay for my test when I was flying back from Pakistan in February but unsure what scale the testing is being carried out in Pakistan.

close them if needed ASAP . this public is insane . last few days some 157457 have been registered fines against vehicles not following corona SOPs in lahore
are india/pakistan borders closed now?
bcoz the situation in india is getting serious, pakistan cannot take the risk to induct people from highly dangerous areas...
borders are closed since last 2 years . it was very limited movement which have been stopped since pakistan banned indians to enter pakistan few days ago .

Unfortunately after stabilising for a while, the cases in Pakistan are picking up again.

Pakistan needs to be careful to not let the virus run out of control like India as it still has not vaccinised its vulnerable population.

Unfortunately after stabilising for a while, the cases in Pakistan are picking up again.

Pakistan needs to be careful to not let the virus run out of control like India as it still has not vaccinised its vulnerable population.
the time is comming when police and rangers will be used sticks ont hese guys like before . smart lock down is near .

I don't know the exact situation but I spoke to some business contacts in Pakistan yesterday both were coughing and said had flu like symptoms with some high temperature. When I asked them if they had a test done the answer was a resolute NO.

I don't think they are testing very much in Pakistan, at least not to the scale that tests are being done here in the UK.

If my hunch is true then it begs the question - how in gods name are they going to find the infected people. So lockdown becomes a natural choice to safeguard against the ignorant.

I don't know the exact situation but I spoke to some business contacts in Pakistan yesterday both were coughing and said had flu like symptoms with some high temperature. When I asked them if they had a test done the answer was a resolute NO.

I don't think they are testing very much in Pakistan, at least not to the scale that tests are being done here in the UK.

If my hunch is true then it begs the question - how in gods name are they going to find the infected people. So lockdown becomes a natural choice to safeguard against the ignorant.

They are probably not catching even the majority of those with symptons let alone the asymptomatic ones.

In BD, they are testing only around 35,000 people a day with a population 2.5x that of the UK. UK tests I think around 1 million a day now.

All countries like Pakistan and BD can do is to catch the majority of those with symptons that are likely to be "superspreaders" and in high-hazard occupations like healthcare, and take them out of circulation to stop them infecting others.

BD has definitely turned the corner as new cases have been coming down for over a week now, and unless the virus variants are totally different in Pakistan, then it is possible and I have every faith that the Pakistani government will do whatever it takes to bring this virus under control quickly.

Back
Top Bottom