What's new

Made in India Vehicles

New Delhi: In a strong indication of the growing clout of emerging markets in the operations of major auto giants, luxury carmaker Mercedes-Benz is planning to step up sourcing of key components from India and make the country an important R&D hub in the next few years.

“The company had identified India as a key market for its cars and was looking to make India a part of the Mercedes-Benz story worldwide,” Wilfried Aulbur, managing director & CEO of Mercedes-Benz India, told FE.

“This is part of our efforts to source from any place where there is good quality, best delivery capability and best price. We have identified India and China as the two countries which would be our focal points.”

Aulbur said components sourced from India at present formed a very small part of Mercedes-Benz products globally. However, in the coming years, the share would go up gradually. “As the Indian auto market grows, exports from the country would also go up. We have seen that with Korea and the same is going to happen here. But it would take some time and investment... That's why we want to put our resources here (in India),” he added.

Apart from making India an important hub for its global portfolio, Aulbur said the company is also looking to set up its R&D centres in Bangalore and Pune to develop and engineer important motors for its cars. “It (India) is the biggest R&D center outside Germany. So far, we are doing part development. The next step would be to do motor development and then move to variant development out of Bangalore. There is a clear plan in terms of value addition out of Bangalore that we see,” he said. The total number of engineers in Bangalore and Pune stand at 550 at present, doubling from 2006 when the number was 200. “We would look to recruit more engineers for India,” he said.

Merc to turn India into R&D hub

mercedes-benz-inaugurates-new-plant-in-india.jpg

Merc Actros launch in india
pic10505091828.jpg-news-400.jpg

Daimler India has set up a state-of-the-art test track at their plant in Oragadam, near Chennai for testing their trucks for India.

Daimler is taking the Indian truck market very seriously indeed, and plans to manufacture and launch trucks for the Indian volume market. Production would commence from mid-2012. When launched in India, like their buses, Daimler trucks are likely to be branded Mercedes Benz – just our guess. They would all feature the Mercedes Benz three-pointed star, for sure!

The work on the test track that you see in the pictures began in April 2009, and testing of their trucks has already begun. The Daimler plant too is coming up as per schedule. A total investment of Rs. 4400 crores will be spent over the next five years, and the company plans to manufacture light, medium and heavy duty trucks at this huge 400 acre facility in Oragadam, near Chennai.

Mr. Aydogan Cakmaz, VP, Product Engineering, DICV, added, “This state-of the-art Test Track is a result of Indian engineering and German DNA.” The truck test track would simulate Indian driving environment and ensure high standards, he added.

daimler-mercedes-truck-india-photo.jpg

daimler-test-track-india.jpg

goo going MERC...my next car will now be a MERC...

Non - biased opinion ... re: historical moulds and stampings + giant markets ...
sad to see Indian Co.'s n .. no .. NOT ... expanding in Pakistan & Indosnesia, maybe China.

Natural markets! Lost to yahoo's like the Chinees, Japs and Koreaniis ... sad!
Lallu-Panju marketing dept.'s ... same-same with Co.'s .. even w/o bad politics.

Its been a few years now they stopped making the lightning 535.

They are doing R&D on engines to launch 1000cc+ bikes now.

Lightning 535 was powerful and gave a real macho feeling.

11514_11.jpg

andrewood_L535.jpg

Guys which one is " dood wala" favorite bike ?...lolzz...but seriously....

my all time favorite is vintage triumph ???its still stylish bike..

I like Yamdoot(Rajdoot Yamaha RD 350 is Known with this name which means "Messenger of Death") better.

I mean Yamaha RD350 Which was a legend. 33 brake horse power twin cylinder 2 stroker Which Can give a run for money to even todays Mid range SBK's.Although 70s to mid80's this Motorcycle Survived.
14580789_1.jpg

Hero Movie(1982):

My personal Favourite of All Time is YAMAHA RX100 Which was ,I think Also available in Pakistan as "RX115".sadly ,2 strokers died a long back here.last one was made somewhere 2003 IIRC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude this thing is a killer can easily do 140kph-150kph on highway ............

74rd350xb7.jpg

30442842_1.jpg

goo going MERC...my next car will now be a MERC...

:victory::victory::victory: FYI ... I got news for all ... read-up ...

Merc would be stupid not to set up shop re: image below ...

maps

U see ... hehe ... Merc & Tata plants are on same site. Co-location! 2 swords in 1 scabbard. It's been like so for near 50 yrs. In the days when trucks were trucks and not 'branded goods' .. before the age of Trademark, ... for trucks that is, many Tata's rolled out the gates with the 3-pointed star, Tata's had a collaboration with Merc. :chilli:

Presently, with a mature supplier, sub-supplier and other k's in the cluster, and India having emerged world's last and largest market ( ... and not the doomsday Balkanised type Turkish or Ottoman Empire!) ... why won't Merc & Co. just slap the 3-point star on things made in the same-same site ... or nominally integrate or assemble-with -finesse ... and source parts from their former collaborator and future competitor Tata ... and mark-up the price re: Merc label. Nobody cares for Merc.'s in EU anymore, the legacy brand is easier to flog in huge developing markets re: pedigree ... and harder to compete with premier Jap, US & EU brands. Scam! :taz::taz::taz:

Does people still own those late 90s YAMAHA which got banned by GOI after awhile. Too many criminals and college students used it as there get away bikes.

Back
Top Bottom