What's new

M.A Jinnah on weeky time magazine cover April 22 1946

wow. So Congress was ready to give Punjab / Bengal in full
but ML insisted on half?
wow. Those Muslas were always weak in maths.
poor thangs didn't even realize that full is more than half (sometimes even 2 times)

When ML leaders took into account the proportion of Muslims and non-Muslims in Punjab and Bengal , they realized that they
would have difficulty in forming the Government there . Statistics revealed that the Cabinet Mission's proposals showed that in Group 'C’ namely, Bengal and Assam, there were 36 per cent Muslims and 34 per cent non-Muslims. In Punjab there were 12 non-Muslims for every 16 Muslims. Of the non-Muslims, 8 were Hindus and 4 were Sikhs. Therefore in forming a government in these two provinces, the League would have a wafer-thin majority of 2 to 3 members only. When these difficulties were brought to the notice of Jinnah, he suggested that certain areas predominantly inhabited by non Muslims would have to be excluded from Pakistan. These have been detailed in documents which have since been made public by the British Government.

When ML leaders took into account the proportion of Muslims and non-Muslims in Punjab and Bengal , they realized that they
would have difficulty in forming the Government there . Statistics revealed that the Cabinet Mission's proposals showed that in Group 'C’ namely, Bengal and Assam, there were 36 per cent Muslims and 34 per cent non-Muslims. In Punjab there were 12 non-Muslims for every 16 Muslims. Of the non-Muslims, 8 were Hindus and 4 were Sikhs. Therefore in forming a government in these two provinces, the League would have a wafer-thin majority of 2 to 3 members only. When these difficulties were brought to the notice of Jinnah, he suggested that certain areas predominantly inhabited by non Muslims would have to be excluded from Pakistan. These have been detailed in documents which have since been made public by the British Government.

I can't understand it, if it was really wishes of Muslim League not to want non-Muslim majority areas of Punjab, Bengal and Assam, then how the term Moth-eaten Pakistan came into widespread use among Pakistanis. :what:

What you say brother is much later incarnation of ideas.

Even when ML won 86 seats (45 elections I guess), it wanted to form government in UNITED punjab and not in half punjab.

I can't understand it, if it was really wishes of Muslim League not to want non-Muslim majority areas of Punjab, Bengal and Assam, then how the term Moth-eaten Pakistan came into widespread use among Pakistanis. :what:

Don't take it to heart.

Moth eaten was term used the way boundary lines were being drawn.

Soon the lines were accepted. Read Jinnah's speech.

Mr. Jinnah's address to the Constituent Assembly of Pakistan

What you say brother is much later incarnation of ideas

I dont say that on my own bro , history archives say so .

Also ,
According to Wavell "Agha Khan came and talked of the necessity of Pakistan and the impossibility of Hindus and Muslims agreeing; he said Jinnah was willing to concede Amritsar Ambala etc. in the North-West, and the Hindu districts of Bengal and Assam." [Wavell, Feb. 1946]

According to Baldev Singh. "Jinnah did not want a settlement." He had held discussions with him in London, but had got nowhere, and Jinnah offered no assurance to the Sikhs even if they supported Pakistan

What about 1945 elections ? ML won no seat outside Muslim constituencies

Last edited:
I dont say that on my own bro , history archives say so .

Also ,
According to Wavell "Agha Khan came and talked of the necessity of Pakistan and the impossibility of Hindus and Muslims agreeing; he said Jinnah was willing to concede Amritsar Ambala etc. in the North-West, and the Hindu districts of Bengal and Assam." [Wavell, Feb. 1946]

According to Baldev Singh. "Jinnah did not want a settlement." He had held discussions with him in London, but had got nowhere, and Jinnah offered no assurance to the Sikhs even if they supported Pakistan

All depends on specific dates/times as to who said what.

If ML said something in 1946 that Congressis had been saying since 1920s

then we should give credit to those who came up with the idea FIRST

All depends on specific dates/times as to who said what.

If ML said something in 1946 that Congressis had been saying since 1920s

then we should give credit to those who came up with the idea FIRST

ML was equally RESPONSIBLE for it , if not more

Last edited:
But Pundit Ji

Pakistanis already eat goats and cows :D perhaps too much of meat. But that's for a separate thread separate discussion

I don't think your comparison is valid in light of the picture

I am as much a Pundit as you are a Maulvi..:D. I was referring to the representation of India and Pakistan as cow and tiger respectively as one being tamely and other being the aggressor. I was contesting that India of today or of the recent history can in no way be represented by a cow but the rather the other way around.

Lahore resolution would have been more firm in its structural parameters in the 1940's and he would not have accepted the Cabinet mission plan in 1946.

Lahore resolution had lots of grey areas, people still debate if Bengal was meant to be part of Pakistan or not, with it state vs states debate.

In your haste, you ignore the last sentence in @Aslan Haider 's quotation.

What's new with Hindu nationalists.

Same old $hit

Same old same old.
Mainay kya ki. lol
On the side note, you are right, same shit different day with these clowns. By the way now I am actually going to go back and read what the argument is actually all about.

Pakistan Zinabaad.

To hell with the hindu nationalists.

Please use and reference at least an approximate date to show when ML said and what.

Thank you

NS says he really loves Pakistan , PPP say that they work for the betterment of the poor
The point is "What they do" , not "What they say" !!
ML said a lot of things , Congress also
But we are discussing what they actually "did" , not what they "claimed"
Actions speak louder than words
Congress was okay with partition but opposed the idea publically
ML wanted to get rid of Hindu majority districts of Punjab and Bengal for political reasons but could not accept it in public
Pakistan movement was not some organised movement ,
Politicians had their interests (surely contradicting with interests of masses) , they worked for it
14 million displaced , 1 million women raped , 1 million killed !!
Happy independence !!! which Actually was a good bye kick by our former masters ..

Lahore resolution had lots of grey areas, people still debate if Bengal was meant to be part of Pakistan or not, with it state vs states debate.

As clarified by Sayed Shamsul Hasan, the word "states" were approved by the draft committee (Malik Barkat Ali, Nawabzada Liyaqat Ali Khan and Nawab Ismail Khan). So, for the time being we can assume there is no doubt about the two "autonomous" Muslim majority states they were talking about.

The problem arises somewhere else. The Lahore aka Pakistan resolution never mentioned of a Pakistan in it's draft. The lack of clear articulation of their view,ML severely failed to synchronize themselves with the Cabinet Mission plan when a tricky problem aroused about the Muslim majority Sylhet district in the Hindu majority Assam.The resolution is astonishingly silent about the millions of Muslims scattered in the "core" of India.Absence of clear cut ideas aggravated by the confusion about Lahore and Calcutta. When lord Mountbatten ( who was never to accept Lord Wavell's plan for A,B,C zones) came up with his own idea of dividing the C zone in particular the confusion was mountainous. League's demand to stick to united Bengal was a straight face violation of their own ideas which they drafted six years ago and the demand for a stronger province and weak center fatefully backfired twenty four years later.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom