What's new

Lt Gen V K Singh to take over as 26th Army chief

baker

Reaction score
Lt Gen V K Singh, the senior-most infantry officer with vast experience in counter-insurgency operations and the present GOC-in-C of Eastern Command, will take over as the next Army chief in New Delhi on Wednesday.

Fifty nine-year-old Singh will take over from Gen Deepak Kapoor, who retired from service on Wednesday.

He will be the 26th chief and will stay at the helm of the 1.13 million personnel-strong Army for over two years.

The Defence Ministry had on January 23 issued the order appointing Singh for the top post after the Cabinet Committee on Appointments cleared his name a day earlier.

Singh was in the news recently when he recommended action against four General-ranked officers indicted by a probe in the Sukna land scam in Darjeeling district of West Bengal

A third generation officer from the Rajput regiment , Singh is a graduate of the Wellington-based Defence Services Staff College as well as the US Army War College at Carlisle. He also did a Rangers Course at Fort Benning in the US.

The new Chief belongs to the Rajput Regiment just as Field Marshal K M Cariappa, the first Indian to become the Army Chief in 1949.

Singh was commissioned in the Rajput Regiment in June 1970 and commanded the same unit when it was positioned along the Line of Control with Pakistan.

Experienced in counter-insurgency, Line of Control and high altitude operations, Singh was awarded the Yudh Sena Medal for his distinguished service during 'Operation Pawan' against the LTTE in Sri Lanka .

Singh, who has seen action in the 1971 Bangladesh war, also served in the Military Operations Directorate at the Army Headquarters and was Brigadier General Staff of a Corps during 'Operation Parakram' when troops were mobilised on the border in the wake of the 2001 terror attack on Parliament.

He also commanded the Jalandhar-based 11 Corps and Ambala-based Strike Corps and was an instructor in the Indian Military Training Team (IMTRAT) headquarters in Bhutan.

Singh was awarded the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM) for distinguished service while commanding a counter-insurgency force.

Singh will be the 24th Indian to be the Army chief, as the first two Indian Army chiefs were British officers General Sir Robert Lockhart and General Sir Roy Bucher. The Indian Army has so far had 14 Infantry, six Armoured and five Artillery officers, including Gen Kapoor, as its Chiefs.

Lt Gen V K Singh to take over as 26th Army chief: Rediff.com India News

All the best General

is he an PUNJABI?

seems to me a rajput
57a9dad4ef34cdaf7c48d7e3d1cf186e.jpg
9b9f26b49883d72ba42d14d2de60_large.jpg

A third generation officer from the Rajput regiment [ Images ], Singh is a graduate of the Wellington-based Defence Services Staff College as well as the US Army War College at Carlisle. He also did a Rangers Course at Fort Benning in the US.

The new Chief belongs to the Rajput Regiment just as Field Marshal K M Cariappa, the first Indian to become the Army Chief in 1949.

Singh was commissioned in the Rajput Regiment in June 1970 and commanded the same unit when it was positioned along the Line of Control [ Images ] with Pakistan. He had trained the Mukti Bahini fighters in North Bengal as a young captain in 1970-71.

Experienced in counter-insurgency, Line of Control and high altitude operations, Singh was awarded the Yudh Sena Medal for his distinguished service during 'Operation Pawan' against the LTTE [ Images ] in Sri Lanka [ Images ].

Singh also served in the Military Operations Directorate at the Army Headquarters and was Brigadier General Staff of a Corps during 'Operation Parakram' when troops were mobilised on the border in the wake of the 2001 terror attack on Parliament.

He also commanded the Jalandhar-based 11 Corps and Ambala-based Strike Corps and was an instructor in the Indian Military Training Team (IMTRAT) headquarters in Bhutan.

Singh was awarded the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM) for distinguished service while commanding a counter-insurgency force.

Singh is the 24th Indian to be the Army chief, as the first two Indian Army [ Images ] chiefs were British officers General Sir Robert Lockhart and General Sir Roy Bucher. The Indian Army has so far had 14 Infantry, six Armoured and five Artillery officers, including Gen Kapoor, as its Chiefs.

is he an PUNJABI?

Its a common mispection in Pakistan(e,g zaid hamid called Aajmal Kasab as Amar Singh as Sikh) even in south India that Singh surname is used only by the Sikhs.

Singh title is actually is used as middle name or surname by most north Indian Hindu Kshatriya(warrior) castes including Rajput, Yadavs ,Jatts,Gujjars etc along with the Sikhs .

Singh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

s strong man with strong will power

as i know he will prove him self best

@draft
He is an Indian and that should be enough.

are yaar dont fire me

i was just askin?

if he was punjabi as we had many punjabi supremo

it would have been another mud in the face of people who think sikh are sepratists, u know wat i mean

@draft

are yaar dont fire me

i was just askin?

it would have been another mud in the face of people who think sikh are sepratists, u know wat i mean

I dont think there is anyone now in India who thinks Sikhs are separitists .They are the most powerful glue that is keeping India safe and sound.

Biography

Singh is a third-generation officer who was commissioned into Rajput Regiment in 14 June 1970. He went on to command the same unit when it was positioned along the Line of Control with Pakistan.

He is also a graduate of the Defence Services Staff College, a honours graduate of the US Army Infantry School, graduated of the Rangers Course at Fort Benning (USA) and the U.S. Army War College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania.

Singh is experienced in counter insurgency operations, Line of Control and high altitude operations. He has also has seen action in the 1971 Bangladesh war, served in the Military Operations Directorate at the Army Headquarters and was Brigadier General Staff of a Corps during 'Operation Parakram' when Indian troops were mobilised on the border in the wake of attack on Parliament in 2001. He also commanded Ambala-based 2 Corps in the Punjab plains and was an instructor in the Indian Military Training Team (IMTRAT) headquarters in Bhutan.

Major decorations and badges

Param Vishisht Seva Medal
Ati Vishisht Seva Medal
Vishisht Seva Medal
Yudh Seva Medal for his distinguished service during Operation Pawan

New Delhi, March 31: General Vijay Kumar Singh, who was the eastern army commander in Fort William, Calcutta, took over as the chief of army staff today from General Deepak Kapoor.

Kapoor retired after more than 40 years in service.

V.K. Singh picked up the rank of General on assumption of office. Unless circumstances take a dramatic turn, he will be the last chief to have been through a full-fledged war. As a young captain in 1971, he was training Bangladesh “mukti joddhas” (freedom fighters) in the war with Pakistan that resulted in the birth of the nation.

The next army chief, if the government goes by the usual seniority norms, is likely to be General Bikram Singh, who took over in Calcutta today as the eastern army commander. He was commissioned into service after the 1971 war.

A third-generation soldier, General V.K. Singh has the unique distinction of sporting a “Ranger” tag on his shoulder after going through a gruelling special operations course in Fort Benning in the US.

During the 60-day course, the participants cannot sleep for more than three to four hours as they run, trek, swim, hike and paradrop with about 41kg of weapons and equipment into territory controlled by a terrorist and narco-trafficking organisation.

“Army chiefs are mature people,” Kapoor said after a farewell guard of honour. “I hope my successor too will pursue policies that will take the army and the nation forward,” he replied when asked what his words of advice were for General Singh.

As the eastern army commander, General Singh ordered the court of inquiry into an attempted land grab near Sukna in north Bengal that indicted Kapoor’s confidant and military secretary Lt General (now retired) Avadesh Prakash.

Asked if he was worried the army chief’s stature had taken a beating when defence minister A.K. Antony advised him to start disciplinary proceedings against Prakash instead of administrative action that he had initiated, Kapoor said: “This is not the appropriate time to talk of such things”.

An officer from the Rajput regiment, General V.K. Singh, has a two-year term as the chief. He was named the chief-designate on January 23 after the cabinet committee on appointments approved his name.

The first Indian army chief, Field Marshal K.M. Cariappa, who took over in 1949, was also from the Rajput Regiment. Singh was commissioned into the Rajput Regiment in June 1970. He participated in “Operation Pawan”, the Indian peace-keeping force in Sri Lanka for which he was decorated with the Yudh Seva medal.

Before becoming an army commander, V.K. Singh commanded the Jalandhar-based 11 Corps, served in the military operations directorate and as an instructor with the Indian military training team in Bhutan. He commanded his unit in counter-insurgency operations in Jammu and Kashmir. He topped his batch in the young infantry officers’ commando course.

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Nation | Army chief with last war badge

@draft

are yaar dont fire me

i was just askin?

Sorry bro, It wasn't my intention to go ballistic at you and I know neither did you have any ill intention while asking that. Bas thoda emotional ho gaya tha:cheers: Well to be honest even I do ask such questions, again without any ill intention. Apologies if I had hurt you in any way.:cheers:

is he an PUNJABI?

Bhai, ase post mat kiya karo.

Gujjar sare INDIA ko ik sath dekhna chatha hai.
Mai abhi Gujjar hone se pehle Indian ho. Ye baat mera vatan jitne jaldi samajh jaye unta cha rahgea. JAI HIND.

Gujjar.

A third generation officer from the Rajput regiment [ Images ], Singh is a graduate of the Wellington-based Defence Services Staff College as well as the US Army War College at Carlisle. He also did a Rangers Course at Fort Benning in the US.

Singh was commissioned in the Rajput Regiment in June 1970 and commanded the same unit when it was positioned along the Line of Control [ Images ] with Pakistan. He had trained the Mukti Bahini fighters in North Bengal as a young captain in 1970-71.

Experienced in counter-insurgency, Line of Control and high altitude operations, Singh was awarded the Yudh Sena Medal for his distinguished service during 'Operation Pawan' against the LTTE [ Images ] in Sri Lanka [ Images ].

Singh also served in the Military Operations Directorate at the Army Headquarters and was Brigadier General Staff of a Corps during 'Operation Parakram' when troops were mobilised on the border in the wake of the 2001 terror attack on Parliament.

Singh is the 24th Indian to be the Army chief, as the first two Indian Army [ Images ] chiefs were British officers General Sir Robert Lockhart and General Sir Roy Bucher. The Indian Army has so far had 14 Infantry, six Armoured and five Artillery officers, including Gen Kapoor, as its Chiefs.

Gen V K Singh, first commando to be Army Chief.

We have made a good choice. Best of luck General.

Sorry bro, It wasn't my intention to go ballistic at you and I know neither did you have any ill intention while asking that. Bas thoda emotional ho gaya tha:cheers: Well to be honest even I do ask such questions, again without any ill intention. Apologies if I had hurt you in any way.:cheers:

@Draft

We know you meant no malice when you asked about Gen.V.K Singhs ethnicity. The guys just misunderstood. Thats all.

The matter rests.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom