What's new

Locals capture Snow Leopard in Misgar Valley, Hunza

Feb 22, 2017
16797135_1357981210944865_8141800727067694220_o.jpg

Gojal: Locals in the remote Misgar Valley of Tehsil Gojal, District Hunza, last night caught a snow leopard while it was attacking livestock. The snow leopard had been tormenting the villagers for long, attacking and killing their sheep and goats for almost a month. The locals made some preparations and captured in the mountain beast last night at around 7 pm, according to information shared by the Misgar Wildlife Conservation and Development Organisation.

The locals are highly aware of the extinction threat faced by the snow leopard, and they will not harm the animal, said the Conservation Organisation in a statement.

The community has informed Wildlife Department of Gilgit-Baltistan, Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) and Snow Leopard Foundation (SLF) about the detention of the mountain beast, which now sits inside a cage.
Source: Pamir Times

@WAJsal , @shimshali , @Zibago , @war&peace , @waz , @Zaki

Well it aint the first time the locals have captured this very kitty alive rather than killing it.

villagers-with-cub.jpg

May be this very kitty can be introduced to the ones below who can teach him/her to be friendly with the locals and they ll feed U themselves.

Snow-Leopard-Khunjerab-Region-Pakistan.jpg

63ce2543c8ab2993ea3577225f82aa0a.jpg

25172.jpg

People of GB are amongst the most responsible, nature loving and hard working people yet peaceful and hospitable ones I have ever come across in whole Pakistan. Let me admit that wholeheartedly.

we it is not something amazing to capture a snow leopard these guys have been doing it for generations and are masters of catching snow leopard another way to stop them from attacking is to place yaks near goats or sheep because these guys are hella scared of them

Locals and the beasts need to reach an agreement. They should value the importance of coexistence. I highly appreciate that the locals did not kill the beast. All issues should be solved through dialogues, foxes and wolves can mediate the peace process between the two warring communities.

Locals and the beasts need to reach an agreement. They should value the importance of coexistence. I highly appreciate that the locals did not kill the beast. All issues should be solved through dialogues, foxes and wolves can mediate the peace process between the two warring communities.

Totally agreed. Locals are in agreement with these beasts but beasts by nature cant resist food esp when they are hungry during heavy snow. On the contrary look at the shine on face and loving looks of the locals for the cub when they rescued it after noticed it wandering without its Mum.

Cub-3.jpg

Magnificent creature!
I hope it will be released into wild soon enough or at least transferred to a much better facility.

@Taygibay @war&peace @User

Last edited:
Totally agreed. Locals are in agreement with these beasts but beasts by nature cant resist food esp when they are hungry during heavy snow. On the contrary look at the shine on face and loving looks of the locals for the cub when they rescued it after noticed it wandering without its Mum.

Cub-3.jpg

You know it is completely opposite as due to an increase in a certain species of markhoor which live in lower parts of the mountain they tend to come down for hunting also the snow leopard are becoming less scared of human population.

On26 January 2017 , while hiking down from Daman e Koh trial 2 at about 7:30 pm I encountered a goat sized white animal ,I couldn't figure out what exactly that was and had to change my way to Margalla road rather than to the zoo.

Or any zoo in Pakistan for that matter. These animals hate captivity and our zoos are no better than thanas for animals. Tag and release back onto the wild. They have protected status worldwide I think on account of their dwindling numbers and Pakistan actually has a decent breeding programme for them.

Very true. They need their natural habitat. It is good to see that the locals are cooperative. Killing these majestic animals is not done.

You know it is completely opposite as due to an increase in a certain species of markhoor which live in lower parts of the mountain they tend to come down for hunting also the snow leopard are becoming less scared of human population.

My point was that locals aint harming these kitties but these cute beasts by nature can not resist food esp during snowfall when they come down and prey upon wherever they find, (not sure if they had been bold enough to attack humans), May it be Markhor or Sheep/Goats.

Back
Top Bottom